Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 STS 2002 STS
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this message on the display but it was very intermittent. I replaced the Twilght sensor on the dash, but problem remains.
Suggestions??

·
Registered
99 STS 2002 STS
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turn off your rainsense wipers
That was the first thing I checked but no dice.. I also confirmed impedance of new sensor is 10k to 200k from full light to dark conditions.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,044 Posts
:confused: Assuming the Twilight Sentinel is OFF, I get the "Headlamps....." message every so often on cloudy days, in tree shade, in tunnels, rain showers, all sorts of false alarms......if the Sentinel is ON, the headlights cycle on and off as they damn well please. ...........so, my car runs with the Sentinel OFF, and no DRL's (forward fuse 24 pulled).

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
:confused: Assuming the Twilight Sentinel is OFF, I get the "Headlamps....." message every so often on cloudy days, in tree shade, in tunnels, rain showers, all sorts of false alarms......if the Sentinel is ON, the headlights cycle on and off as they damn well please. ...........so, my car runs with the Sentinel OFF, and no DRL's (forward fuse 24 pulled).
So... if I pull fuse 24 I can nuke the DRLs on a 99??? :bouncy:

·
Administrator
71,044 Posts
:rolleyes: CR.....pop the top off the forward fuse box (next to the washer reservoir ???) and read the legend inside. If your system is pretty much the same as '02, fuse 24 (blue, 15A) is the supply for the solenoid 12V to the DRL system. Removing the fuse disables the DRL's, doesn't set any codes, and allows full use of all other light features. BTW, the DRL's use about 9.5 to 10 VDC to the high beam bulbs through series resistance of both bulbs. If your DRL's have been running since day 1, your high beam bulbs may be dimmer than "as new".....AND, I still have to toggle the "headlamps...." message off, when I get one, with the "INFO" rocker.

·
Registered
None
588 Posts
one thing that drives me crazy is that if I want to run just the fog lights & running lights on my 97 Deville Concurs I have to wait until its dark enough for the DRL's to shut down down b4 i can get the look im going 4.
I was able to do it on my Auora when ever I wanted. Would disableing the DRL's allow me to do what I want 2 do?

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
:rolleyes: CR.....pop the top off the forward fuse box (next to the washer reservoir ???) and read the legend inside. If your system is pretty much the same as '02, fuse 24 (blue, 15A) is the supply for the solenoid 12V to the DRL system. Removing the fuse disables the DRL's, doesn't set any codes, and allows full use of all other light features. BTW, the DRL's use about 9.5 to 10 VDC to the high beam bulbs through series resistance of both bulbs. If your DRL's have been running since day 1, your high beam bulbs may be dimmer than "as new".....AND, I still have to toggle the "headlamps...." message off, when I get one, with the "INFO" rocker.
No joy on the 99. Fuse 24 is DRL/FOG - if its out the DRLs are disabled, but the fogs don't come on, even though the dashboard telltale lights up. Also, the parking lights come on and stay on, even with the light switch AND Twilight Sentinel switch both OFF. WTF? Anyway, since I live in the state with the worst drivers in the country :alchi: as proven by a national driver survey, I guess maybe the DRLs aren't such a bad idea :suspense:

·
Administrator
71,044 Posts
:rant2: We need to separate every car out by year/model !!! No wonder the dealers can't keep up.........Even the '99-'03 Seville parts list has subsections for year build. Hope Packer in London can find the correct parts list......As long as we can keep filling each other in regarding model year running changes, the Forum will stay worthwhile, but I sometimes wish the newcomers would do an archive search in order to get "up to speed"........and, FWIW, fog lights with low beams are a visual turn-off.

·
Registered
97eldoradoETC
134 Posts
hey tommy deville there is a way to run just your parking lights during the day. what i did was, now this is kinda ghetto but it works lol, i went to lowes and bought one of the rubber tips that you use for the ends of chair legs to keep them from scratching your floors in your house up, took it home and cut it down with a dremel tool and cut some notches in it so it wouldnt slide around and put it over the light sensor in the defrost vent and it works just fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts