Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant figure out whether my twilight sentinel is A. Working and B. how exactly it works. If I throw the Twilight Sentinel lever all the way to OFF during the day it still says HEADLAMPS SUGGESTED. If I turn it on I worry im going to burn out my D1S xenon bulbs because they are on all the time. Ugh... another Cadillac-ism I hope not. I remember with my Grand Cherokee it was pretty straightforward... ON or well... Off at dawn. The instruction manual didnt come with my 01 STS so if there is a place to download it online that would be great.

Also, is there a way to get codes from the current model STS? I have heard talk about getting it with pushing a few buttons on the Climate control on older models, but cant find anything on the current style.

Help is appreciated, Thanks!

·
Registered
16,105 Posts
We had a really good and detailed conversation about this some months back. I wonder if it would be worth it to you to dig it up, and I'm not sure which heading it was under I'm afraid.

Anyway, it switches your lights on and off by sensing how dark it is. According to my manual (1991, but should be same) If you leave the control all the way to "max" your lights will remain on for 3 mins after you turn off your engine. If you move the control all the other way, it will turn your lights off quickly after shutting off the engine.

I assume you might be in the U.S.? The Canadian version works a little different, ie. it is fool proof, and I never even have to touch it or turn it on and the lights will always come on when dim outside. I think with the U.S. version, you have more control over the lights in that, you don't have to use it if you don't want to.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, Im hoping it may be related to my WIPERS of all things. I.E. I just found the GM Owners Link website which hosts free Manuals in PDF Format and it is funny to see how much they explain how it works, but in the end, it looks like if you're wipers are on INT or some other positions, it could cause HEADLAMPS SUGGESTED to be on no matter what.

Heres the specific text:
"This feature activates the headlamps and parking lamps
after the windshield wipers have been in use for
approximately six seconds. To operate, the Twilight
Sentinel feature must be turned on. See “Twilight
Sentinel” in the Index for more information.

When the exterior lamp control is in the off or parking
lamp position and the wiper control is on (INT, LO or
HI), the HEADLAMPS SUGGESTED message will
appear on the Driver Information Center (DIC).
When the ignition is turned to OFF, the wiper-activated
headlamps will immediately turn off. The wiper-activated
headlamps will also turn off if the Twilight Sentinel or
the windshield wipers are turned off.

Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) can make it easier
for others to see the front of your vehicle during
the day. DRL can be helpful in many different driving
conditions, but they can be especially helpful in the
short periods after dawn and before sunset. Fully
functional daytime running lights are required on all
vehicles first sold in Canada.
The DRL system will make the high-beam headlamps
come on at reduced brightness..."

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, Today I turned my Washer stalk to OFF and it caused the lamps to go off finally in the daytime. I think the whole thing is kind of dumb, I mean I think the point of Rain Sensing wipers is so you dont actually have to worry about them at all. If you still have to turn them on yourself thats kind of a bummer. Im sure im missing something easy.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
With your twilight sentinel in any position other than OFF, you are covered for headlight operation controlled by the measure of (sun)light hitting the top of the dash panel.

I choose to leave my wipers OFF unless the road is wet or it is actually raining. If you leave your wipers in INT, you will get a one wipe pulse at engine start and that bothers me more than a little on dry glass.

Headlights and taillights ON when wipers ON is a desireable safety feature for me and is required in several states (GA is one).

Enjoy your car.........

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
JimD