Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
CTS 3.6 Luxury Sports
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 CTS 53k miles has developed an annoying problem with its headlamps.

Occasionally the lhs low beam (HID) will flicker, is this likely to be the bulb ?

Also the rhs low beam will go out and then come back on, and seems particularly susceptible on uneven road surfaces.

If the headlight light goes out and you then switch the lights off and on again the lamp re illuminates. Is this likely to be the ballast?

I've done all the simple things such as check voltages, check earths, check for loose connections ( thinking the uneven roads may be jiggling connections but not the case) and all supply and earth are good. The battery is new.

Don't want to spend out on both ballasts and bulbs if I can help it.

If I do need ballasts is there a cheaper place than the dealer for the ballast part which is a Valeo Velarc LAD5G part number 89032133. I dont want secondhand as you never know how long they will last. I'll get the bulbs off ebay.

Cheers,

Tony

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,802 Posts
In the 7 years I've own my CTS. I've replaced the D1S bulbs 3 times.

All three times I had the same problems that you have. Flicker, on/off with road surfaces and what not.

In those 7 years, I have NOT replaced either ballast. As far as I know, the ballasts are still factory.

KOT

·
Registered
2004 CTS Lux Sport and 2014 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux
848 Posts
Unfortunately, for some people (like me) it was also the ballast.
I had the flicker while car was in driveway.
I guess the solution may be to not drive at night, so you don't need to use headlights.

·
Registered
CTS 3.6 Luxury Sports
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately, for some people (like me) it was also the ballast.
I had the flicker while car was in driveway.
I guess the solution may be to not drive at night, so you don't need to use headlights.
Thanks guys, I think I will start with the chreapest option, ie two new bulbs and work upwards from there.

Re not driving at night as it's the Mr's Car I thought that a worthwhile solution and instructed her to use the front fog lights as auxilary driving lights at all times thus negating the primary need for headlamps.

She countered with the suggestion that as she regularly drove me back from the pub and restaurant in an evening if I wanted this arrangement to continue I had better get her lights fixed asap or else.

She has never in 21 years actually clarified what the "else" is but I'm pretty certain it would impact negatively on either my body or my wallet or probably both. I'm ordering the bulbs.

Cheers,

Tony

1 - 4 of 4 Posts