Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Cotillion White Brougham
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought all new headlamps last night and after an hour of installing ONE of them, I discovered that, while the lamp works, the fiber optic headlamp monitor on the fender doesn't glow very brightly. Before you suggest anything, I'll tell you that while the fiber optic line separated from the plug, I put it back into place, firmly. The line isn't kinked and hopefully it's not broken.

The problem stems from the fact that the new headlamp's male prongs don't allow the plug to rest flush against the rear of the lamp. I think this is why the monitor glows so dimly.

These are Wagoner lights and I just got them because they were there and I needed headlights.

The 4662 lamp that came OUT of the Caddy allowed the plug to fit flush against the back. There was a plastic gasket for the female plug and on the back of the lamp was a blob of now-yellowed glue.

I took a look at the Sylvania silver lamps and they look more like the originals: the plug is flush to the back of the lamp and there's a gob of clear glue on the back, with what appears to be a bubble where light may come through. Before I plunk down $50 for a pair, does anyone know if those will work?

The 4662's are a special order kind of thing, it seems. The ones for sale in stores (4656, I think) will work, but I'll lose the lamp monitors. I want the lamp monitors to work! So you see my dillema. Who else has replaced their lights and with what and do your lamp monitors still work?

Let me know ASAP, please, because I'm anxious! =)

Thanks, as always.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
The original "guide brand" bulbs did in fact have a bump on the back to butt up to the fibre optic line, most aftermarket types do not. I would suggest slipping a piece of vacuum hose over the fibre optic line so the effective length of the line is longer. Also look at the very end of the line, must be clean and clear in order to transfer the light to the lens on the fender.

·
Registered
1989 Cotillion White Brougham
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like the Sylvania lights are similar and may work out the best.

Dope: my white monitor lamp on the driver's side is bright and clear. That's the side with the old-style headlight. The passenger's side monitor is very, very faint now because of the way the new headlight is put together. In your case, it's possible (probable?) that your headlights were replaced with ones that aren't totally compatible. Next time you have a headlight out, see if the plug butts firmly against the back of the lamp, or if there is a noticable gap between the female connector and the back of the lamp. So far, Sylvania is the only brand I've found that seems most similar to the old style 4662's. I'm going to get the Silvers, at $25 a piece, as long as I can return them if they don't do the trick! Supposedly these looks nice and more like HIDs, at least as much as possible without a conversion.

Yeah, and THANKS to GM for making it sooooooo much fun to replace these headlights! You need like 4 sets of different tools and about an hour of time! =P

Oh, and the cornering light lenses are all fogged (plastic!) and look tacky. How do you spruce them up? It's not like you can just order new ones.

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts