Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 STS & 2006 DTS
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have been away from the forum for awhile, I have a question regarding a comment that was made by an office manager and mechanic at the local garage regarding head gasket problems with all northstar engines, My STS has 165,000 miles and it was in for service and during the discussion I was told by them that this car and all Northstar engines have notorious problems with the head gaskets, a few years ago I remember reading threads that the "Problem" with the head gaskets was corrected in 1999 and my particular car the 2000 STS did not have that issue, I find the statement a bit unusual considering the car does have 165, 000 miles and it has never had the head gaskets worked on and appears to have full power, it does use a bit of oil, but as I was informed the engine used oil from day one, it is up to a quart per 750 miles, so are they correct on the "notorious head gasket" problem.

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
wow not even i ever got that bad 750 miles per qt that is a bit extreme even for an N
what most here would say or ask is have you ever taken it out for a WOT
these n's need to be worked like liked to be opened up on the road and beat on at times don't granny drive it
that might free up and your Oil Consumption should get better

some here are controversial about saying the N is notorious for head gasket lots like to say its just over inflated by the internet some say no its not some say different years have more issues
some say that nothing GM ever did over the years fixed the issue and we just keep finding out as years go by that when its older its going to go bad

I don't believe it has anything to do with miles on the engine at least not anymore
it has to do with how it was cared for
fluids changed on time cooling system services on schedule how its been driven

if your worried about a head gasket issue get a block tester and test it if the blue fluid turns yellow then your in trouble or is it green i forget but if it stays blue then your HG's are fine

for the oil consumption do a few WOT's and that should help clean it up a bit for better consumption

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
....I have a question regarding a comment that was made by an office manager and mechanic at the local garage regarding head gasket problems with all northstar engines....
Take a skeptical/suspicious position regarding umbrella comments related to Northstar head gasket "problems". You are the jury and you have yet to hear from the defense.

Lurk around the Ford or Chrylser or BMW (or your favorite) forums and see for yourself if any umbrella statements are supported by scientific statistical "evidence".
....so are they correct on the "notorious head gasket" problem.
Not as far as I'm concerned and my engine is north of 200,000 miles and counting.

Your reported oil consumption is a different issue.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,672 Posts
The 2000+ engines saw a redesign in bolts and threads, among a LOT of other changes to the engine. Statistically, this group suffers from less head gasket failure reports due to pulled head bolts than the earlier, and particularly 1998-1999, engines. Anyone who patently condemns all Northstars for head gasket failure is grossly misinformed.

A failed head gasket in a Northstar has no effect on oil consumption. Yours is high. Go up in the black bar ^^^ and read the entire Cadillac Technical Archive, especially the article "occasional full throttle operation...................".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts