Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to get mine tested. I have smoke coming out of the exhaust when I start it and i have been having problems with the coolant since i bought it. Been trying to ignore it because of the price to fix it. I keep reading everybody talking about smoke coming out of the tail pipes so I figure I better take care of it before it does even more damage. Have 2 questions
1. what is the test called I need to get done to check to see if it is blown?
2. anybody know any kind of estimate to repair it if it is blown in the bay area? will most likely not take it to the dealer considering they charge hundreds just for the test.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
1. The test is called a leakdown test.... What they do is apply pressure to the cooling system (~14psi) and then wherever there is a leak it will, leak.... Thats most likely what they'll do, I dont know of any other test, besides a visual inspection!! However, I dont think that at this young age its the head gasket.... Its possible however...... Does the exhaust smell like coolant??

2. Usually the headgasket job costs about 2000 when its all said and done, from an independent, with timeserts.... it may be more, because your in a more expensive area of the country!

While we're at it, what kind of "problems" have you been having with the coolant.......?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am always puting in coolant and occasionally oil. Besides that, sometimes I can smell something hot when my windows are down, i believe it is coolant. I had a leak in my water pump and that was replaced but that smoke out of the tailpipes along with eveyone saying that means headgasket trouble has me worried. Forgot one thing, the temp gauge on the dash is always going slightly past the half way mark then goes back after a little bit.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
White smoke is always common when its colder.... harmless steam.....

Usually the head gasket has to be REALLY bad for it to smoke like that!!!

Temp guage is probably normal.... When was the last time the Tstat has been changed.....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't know, took it to the dealer when i bought it to check on that and they said it is normal, everybody i talk to says it is normal for it to move around like that, i just refuse to believe it because I have never been in a car that does that. My old 86 caprice stays still, why wouldn't this new car? The tstat has not been changed since i bought it in january but if it is normal id rather not change it for no reason. i figure i might as well test the head gasket to get rid of or add some stress depending on the outcome.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Because in this car the temp guage is more sensitive than the one in the 86.... Most temp guages have lots of resistors on them to make them rise and fall very slow.... Yours is obviosly more exact....

What your seeing is the temperature changes as the Tstat opens/closes (or rather increases/decreases its lift)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
elwesso said:
Because in this car the temp guage is more sensitive than the one in the 86.... Most temp guages have lots of resistors on them to make them rise and fall very slow.... Yours is obviosly more exact....

What your seeing is the temperature changes as the Tstat opens/closes (or rather increases/decreases its lift)
Okay, finally it is explained to me. Thanks.
You think it is not necessary to get it tested than?

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
There are 3 tests that help diagnose a blown head gasket.
1) Combustion leak test. It is the cheapest and most general. It tells if exhaust gases are getting into the cooling system

2)Compression test. It tells which cylinders have a leak but not what's leaking.

3)Leakdown test. It can pin down bad rings, head gasket/crack, and bad valves.

The prices should start at $20-25 for 1. $60-100 for 2. 100+ for 3.

For your symptoms try #1. Most shops can do it. Especially radiator shops.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Its not a bad idea to get it tested, but I personally wouldnt worry about it..... What kind of mileage are you at?? I couldnt imagine it going bad this early..... If you've kept up with maintenance, and it hasnt overheated (in the red zone) i think youll be fine!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
elwesso said:
Its not a bad idea to get it tested, but I personally wouldnt worry about it..... What kind of mileage are you at?? I couldnt imagine it going bad this early..... If you've kept up with maintenance, and it hasnt overheated (in the red zone) i think youll be fine!
Im up to about 68K now, i have been maintaining it but who knows before me, i bought it at 52K from a dealer.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Do you have any service records.... If its been dealer serviced (at any caddy dealer), they will all be on the computer (via the VIN number)......

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
elwesso said:
Do you have any service records.... If its been dealer serviced (at any caddy dealer), they will all be on the computer (via the VIN number)......
How would i get that? carfax?

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
No.... Just go to the dealer and ask them to look up your service records off your VIN number..... Shouldnt take more than a couple of minutes for them to punch in the VIN number and give you a printout of the service records!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
3 Participants
elwesso