Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
´05 CTS-V Stealth Gray
66 Posts
Like the title said, i wanna install a catted OBX Header with 1 7/8" primaries!

Some questions about heat protection:

What about the header gasket, should i take oem or is there something better?

What about starter wrapping, someone use this or similar part: LS1 LT1 Versa Shield High Temp 500 Degree Heat Insulation Wrap for Starters | eBay

What about the starter cable plug, read it would melt and make some issues, is it this one here: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=82622&cc=1432727&jnid=532&jpid=0

And what about heat protection on spark plugs and cable, should i use only this one: Spark Plug Wire Boot Heat Shield Protectors Set of 8 Eight LS1 LS6 | eBay or a complete protection like this one: New Dei 010502 Protect A Boot Spark Plug Boot Heat Shield 6 inch Silver 8 Pack | eBay

Every thoughts are welcome!

Thanks in advance,
Ronald

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,027 Posts
Some questions about heat protection:

What about the header gasket, should i take oem or is there something better?
The OEM gaskets seem to work just fine, but I've used Percy's Dead Soft aluminum ones on my car.

Probably not a bad idea. From what I've seen, the solenoid portion of the starter (where the electrical connections are) seems to be the part that has the toughest time handling the heat, so whatever you get, make sure the solenoid is covered.

What about the starter cable plug, read it would melt and make some issues, is it this one here: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=82622&cc=1432727&jnid=532&jpid=0
That looks right.

And what about heat protection on spark plugs and cable, should i use only this one: Spark Plug Wire Boot Heat Shield Protectors Set of 8 Eight LS1 LS6 | eBay or a complete protection like this one: New Dei 010502 Protect A Boot Spark Plug Boot Heat Shield 6 inch Silver 8 Pack | eBay
The stock plug wires should have those first ones (the metal shields) on them already. For some of the plugs I found that I needed to remove those metal shields so that I could bend the plug wire away from the header tube more. In those cases, I used some DEI boots (or boots from some other manufacturer) like in your second link.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,975 Posts

·
Registered
´05 CTS-V Stealth Gray
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, this are the answers i wanna hear!

Is there any cheaper place to get the parts as ebay or summit, hope to get all These parts from one hand to save shipping, handling etc.?!

Best regards,
Ronald

1 - 4 of 4 Posts