Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CTSV
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I blew out the right bank last month and had a new gasket put in. Today I found another leak on the left side. Its not nearly as bad. Should I just be able to tighten it down or do I need to replace the gasket? Is it common to blow headers gaskets with Kooks longtubes?

·
Registered
2004 CTSV
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What bolts are you guys using?
I assume they are the ones that came with the Kooks headers. Their finish matches the headers. I bought the car with the headers already installed.

"Use a percy gasket"

I was also under the impression that kooks headers came with percy gaskets. I put a percy on the right and have one for the left. But if its a small leak can't I just torque it down? Or must I replace the gasket as well? (its very small, you can barely hear it)

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
I blew out the right bank last month and had a new gasket put in. Today I found another leak on the left side. Its not nearly as bad. Should I just be able to tighten it down or do I need to replace the gasket? Is it common to blow headers gaskets with Kooks longtubes?
I've never been able to not eventually blow header gaskets, hence, one of the few reasons I haven't put headers on my V. I think Heavy has it down to a science and probably will go a long time before he blows his, but my experience has been that the stock manifold gaskets seldom seem to fail nearly as much as header gaskets do.

·
Registered
2004 CTSV
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys! I just finished torqing them down and the leak is all but gone. What is the saying, headers leak and ball itch right?

I guess I will eventually have to replace this gasket now huh? but cannot until later next week. I have a bit of driving this weekend to do and I hate driving around with a leak.

Im hesitant to give it gas bc I dont want to blow out the gasket completely and create more problems. Driving this car slow is painful.....

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Thanks guys! I just finished torqing them down and the leak is all but gone. What is the saying, headers leak and ball itch right?

I guess I will eventually have to replace this gasket now huh? but cannot until later next week. I have a bit of driving this weekend to do and I hate driving around with a leak.

Im hesitant to give it gas bc I dont want to blow out the gasket completely and create more problems. Driving this car slow is painful.....
BAH--header leaks aren't going to hurt anything, especially if only for a week or so. I'd go see if you COULD blow it out! :lildevil:

·
Registered
2004 CTSV
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BAH--header leaks aren't going to hurt anything, especially if only for a week or so. I'd go see if you COULD blow it out! :lildevil:
Blew out quick last time! My service tech at the CADDy dealer told me if I blow them out and drive around, the cold air will damage the valves, and they will not warranty my car! so I try to be careful.......

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Blew out quick last time! My service tech at the CADDy dealer told me if I blow them out and drive around, the cold air will damage the valves, and they will not warranty my car! so I try to be careful.......
:confused: I guess I'm missing something. Perhaps a technician can chime in here, but that seems illogical and, not to mention, in direct contrast to what has specifically happened to me in the past. I've driven for weeks with leaky header gaskets, some woefully blown out, without nary a problem.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,209 Posts
I'm not a "technician" though I play one online sometimes. :D

Seriously, though, if (exhaust) valves are heated up by engine operation and then are exposed to ambient air temps, they could cool down too quickly and warp, so I've heard. I've tested a lot of engines on dynos, and we always had a cool-down procedure which included running the engines at reduced throttle openings and speeds after running at WOT for extended periods while generating fish hooks.

That being said, I would doubt a very slight leak like the one described above would present a problem; it would have to be a pretty serious gap to allow enough ambient air to get in there for rapid cool down of the valve.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts