Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the way are engines are shoe horned in, are studs even an option without lifting the Motor? I will be doing a head swap soon and am on the fence on bolts or studs. I am not going to be running boost. My plans are N/A.

Geof

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well if your gonna pull the heads often, then studs.

The stock bolts are a "use once" affair.
Yes i know, However ARP sells studs and bolts. I know studs are preferred. I am just unsure if there is enough room to slide the heads over them with the fenders so close. I don't want to pull the motor to install the heads.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
In light of recent events here at the V forum could someone please throw me a bone here. I don't want to ask on that other site. LOL
I do not know the direct answer to your question. However, if I needed this information and the answer was not forth coming, I would contact someone that is likely to have encountered the same problem. Your specific question is pretty narrow in that the folks that know for sure: (1) have worked on Vs; (2) done head work on V's; and (3) have tried studs/bolts with the engine in the car. Given that I would be calling shops that provide engine building services to V owners. (Motorsports Technologies, Kaltech, and others you'll see referred to in this forum).

·
Registered
04 CTS-V Light Platinum ...8800 Mi.
232 Posts
See if ARP offers them with the Allen hex in the top. I have an SB2 in my 68 Camaro and ARP had Allen hex tops and rounded bottoms for it. You can then put in a couple short studs to line up the heads and install the rest with the heads in place. You can remove them the same way.
FYI, if you are not running boost, bolts are fine.

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
BTW, you dont 'lift" the motor, you drop it. Comes out as a nice clean assy from below.

F

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BTW, you dont 'lift" the motor, you drop it. Comes out as a nice clean assy from below.

F
I have a driveway and ramps. I'm not dropping anything.

·
Registered
CTS-V
672 Posts
We had the same issues on the Lotus Esprit V8 engines, a torque-to-yield head bolt (use only once as well) that had would stretch under boost conditions. Anyone pulling a head generally pulled the motor just so they could isntall the ARP head studs. Not only were the ARP studs substantially less expensive but they were a permanent fix.

Feff

·
Banned
Cadillac
109 Posts
ARP studs fit fine, more than enough room on either side. If you buy the studs, make sure they are for the later LSx, all short lenght. PN 234-4317
Hope that helps.........

There is no reason to pull the engine to do heads unless you're REALLY REALLY bored and like adding a ton of work to a 1 afternoon project.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry Tony your sarcasim is lost on me. I guess I need you to spell out exactly what your implying. Because I have plenty of friends. Have no problem influencing others, and consider myself successful.

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
I wasn't implying anything- it was pretty clear: We just had an issue with a member acting pissy and rude, and there was a long discussion about why technical questions take a little bit longer to get answered here. The snide comment about finally getting a "real answer" isn't going to win you many friends around here.

If you plan on asking folks around here for help, try to be a little more friendly to us. The people that respond with an "I don't know" or a funny comment might be the same people who can help you out of a pinch at a later date.

That's all I'm saying. It was partly in jest, but partly not.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well It is kinda funny how I had no replies until I through a little tantrum and then the floodgates opened on this thread. I really do appreciate sincere help and replies wether it be sorry I couldn't help or a real answer. If I offended anyone here I offer them a sincere appology.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts