Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:thepan:
This one is driving me NUTZ
1987 Deville 2 door sedan (sorry forgot to add the details of the motor and drive train added Oct. 28)
4.1 lt 4100
Automatic Hydro-matic transmission
FWD
Replaced:
Two by pass hoses
Upper Rad. Hose
Rad. itself
Themo Housing and stat.
Now before all this, it took a 500 mile drive with ease and got avg. 31mpg. No issuses cept for once when I put it too the floor board getting back on the freeway, threw a small ball of grayish/black smoke.
Now that all these things are fixed. Now I have blueish/white smoke even at idel. Looks like durring the winter cold days when your car is warming up. It also seems to spit out some coolent after a 5 to 10 mile trip. Checked all the plugs they seem dry, mind you seem. There is fast (and I do mean fast) pressure build up when I properly put the cap on the Rad. but it does not build up enough to pop a hose off.
Durring High REV there is water heading out the tail, but most do that anyway. And she seems to run warmer then normal, but then again what is normal temp now adays? some don't show anything til you hit 265 and up.
Now with chevy/GM types could be stat, bad Rad. cap, head gaskets, Intake Mani., there are several other things that cause same signs in GM type cars/trucks. But this Cadillac has me doing lots of :banghead:
Any help would be great. Thanks:thumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can someone toss me a bone here.

Come on trying to save myself some time an money here. I do have a replacement 4100 I can drop in and/or gasket set. But trying to keep from having to tear into it all if I dont need too or replace a perfict runner.

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
You mentioned that it's 'spit out coolant' after a short drive. Have you been able to determine from where? My '87 started spewing coolant a couple of years ago, and it required only intake gaskets.
Whe you replaced all this stuff, did you remember the GM sealant pellets? That's very critical with these aluminum/cast iron engine combos. You can also use Bars Leak Gold powder (Do NOT use the rabbit turd stew that comes in a can!).
Is there any coolant getting in the oil? If so your oil will look like cream of mushroom soup. If not, your problem might get resolved with the pellets alone. They're only about 5 bucks at the dealer.
The rapid pressure build is normal. Mine does the same thing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am using the factory Pellets/tabs. I crush them then add so they are in powder form. But it spits it due to over heating. Via overflow tube.

I guess I will have to recheck the plugs and do a pressure leak test.

Looks to be the only sure fire way I will find out out side of just tearing the whole engine appart
:stirpot:

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
Is your "Coolant/Temp/Fan" light coming on? If so, you can use the onboard diagnostic computer to determine why. There's a sticky post at the top of this board that explains how to do this. Is there coolant in the oil? There are only three reasons for your 4.1 to overheat:

1) Coolant level is low. With everything you've changed recently it's possible you have a bubble in the sytem. To get rid of it, remove the radiator cap with a cool engine. Start the car and let it warm to operating temp. Have a partner run the engine up to 1800 rpm (roughly). When you see the coolant level drop, top off the radiator. Be sure to tighten the cap down before you return the car to idle. Then fill the overflow tank to the prescribed level.

2) Coolant is leaking either inside or outside the engine. Visual inspection should determine this.

3) There is blockage somewhere in the cooling system. This is rare, but not impossible. Do the same process as in #1. If you can observe coolant flowing through the radiator, there is probably no serious blockage.

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
Oops, forgot to mention the fourth possibility (which is stupid because I just went through this with my '87 Deville) It's possible your coolant fan control module has failed, and is not running the fans when needed. You can do a fast check of this by starting the engine and turning on the A/C. Both fans should start up and turn at full speed.
Please post the results of your diagnosis - since we own the same car, this could end up helping me someday.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far from what I have found:

Power draws:
Day running light sensor/relay toast
Electric option delay relay (holds power til door is opened) Toast
Door Jam switch both sides Toast

Coolent issue:
Thermostat Toast
Thermostat housing busted (held with silicon)
No A/C fan (guess they never put that one back)
Split head design faulty (gasket from Head to intake on split design bad)

Head gaskets SOLID still holding true

Pre Replacement before found coolent out the tail pipe:
By pass hose
Radiator
Temp Sensor & plug
Radiator fan motor
Upper and Lower Radiator hoses

Parts gotten to replace:
Rear Air Ride Struts and mounts
Air lines to both sides
4100 Motor (never seen a road mile) Might sell this if not need to use)
Both sides Front Drive Axels
Ball joints
Tie Rods
Got full Electronic Dash setup (from climate control to Cluster)
Dash Pannels (just incase never know when you want to mod for something)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts