Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS/ 2008 DTS/ 2008 STS V8 N*/ 2011 CTS4 ALL W/D Pearl
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that has a 1999 Deville and the lights come on day and night with the car shut off.

The battery has been drained because of this issue happening over a weekend he was away, he now pulls the fuse to shut them off and to keep them off at night to not drain the battery.

Any help would be great.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only code he had that he didn't know he had was the dreaded P0741 code. I feel bad that I read his codes for him with my code reader not helping with his current problem but showing him a worse one.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
It's a simple enough system that there might not be any codes for it. Does it do with sentinel turned off. Asin the auto lights?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a simple enough system that there might not be any codes for it. Does it do with sentinel turned off. Asin the auto lights?
I will ask him but as far as I know he leaves it on auto and I believe everything works fine but for no reason the headlights come on at anytime they want day or night with the car shut off.:confused:

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,551 Posts
Something may be fishy with the Twilight Sentinel and/or the RainSense system. Have him turn the Sentinel OFF and place the wiper stalk in the OFF position: If the stalk is in INTerval then RainSense is activated - and the wipers are then also controlled to turn on the headlamps .............. Many states require headlamps with wipers, so it's a Catch 22.

Many owners complain that they get a "Headlamps Suggested" message whenever they start the car in a garage or shade. Simple fix: Place the wiper stalk in OFF and turn OFF the Sentinel. No more messages. (Big Brother is protecting us from ourselves)

........ but, in this thread's case, the system(s) are staying "hot" for some reason. In-depth electrical diagnosis.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
That's why I was asking about sentinel. If smething is messed up with the controller it could possibly make them come on at odd times even with the car off.
Another question would be has it ever had an alarm or radio or anything else installed at some point because someone could have connected to the wrong wire or probed one which might cause this also if it is giving twilight power or some sort of signal when it shouldnt' be.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys I won't see him till Tuesday but this is some great advise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts