Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
buying one soon
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if you can replace the head gaskets on the northstar without removing the engine? I dont have to do it yet, but I'm just trying to get some information together. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac Seville STS 73k Miles, '90 Chevy 1500 Reg Cab
725 Posts
Yes it has been done, not sure if its been done on the model you're looking at....HG failure rates go down greatly in 2000+ models so take that into account. Search the Northstar section, tons of info on the HG issue, stud kits, DIY requirements, costs etc....

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
Yes it has been done. One or two might try it again but the concensus seems to be that removing the driveline (engine, transmission and subframe) is the easiest approach.

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac DeVille
279 Posts
It has been done, but it would definately not be easy and I am pretty sure you would have to use threaded inserts opposed to studs which I would never use anything but studs on a northstar headgasket job.

Dropping the cradle is not as hard as it sounds, even pulling the motor out the top isnt too hard. Just getting yourself to the point of jumping in and doing it is probably the hardest part :hide:

·
Registered
Seville STS 1999
86 Posts
Removing Driveline needs about 4 hours, get in about 5 hours... changing headgaskets with engine inside needs more time....

and if the driveline is outside, it`s a pleasure to repair some things surround

1 - 5 of 5 Posts