1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

what brand i must buy for head gasket ?

felpro ? not very expensive, but what about quality ?

other brand ?

thank you !

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,384 Posts
Certainly. FelPro is a HUGE gasket maker and supplies original equipment to many car manufacturers.

I built this 1970 Oldsmobile 455 marine engine using all FelPro gaskets. This build was done in late 1998 - the engine is in the boat today and has never leaked or been opened since installation.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good thing !

can i ask 1 more thing ?
what about stud or time sert ? there is many things to read on internet but i they are all competitors and all say theirs are better than other...

first, i would use n*performance suregrip... but i see caroll studs.... time serts... and found huhn one's....
all say helicoil could not be used.. ok...

i think studs are macanically better than serts....(when tightening, the stud don't move in aluminium and don't try to hurt it..) but i'm not expert.. and suregrip are very expensive related to other one's...

i live in France and we have not so much american cars or dealer here...so i would appreciate some returns to help me to do the best choice...

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,384 Posts
Communicate with Jake at Northstar Performance. He is the inventor of the SureGrip stud system and has done MANY Northstar conversions.

If you plan to remove the engine and drivetrain from the car, the studs are the best, strongest way to go. If the engine would be worked on while still in the car, the NS300L inserts are the way to go, but the machining and labor are quite intense with the engine in the car.

To clarify: GM/Cadillac recommends inserts or studs for cylinder block head bolt hole repair. HeliCoils can be used for bolt hole repair elsewhere on the engine.

www.northstarperformance.com

www.huhnsolutions.com

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok for suregrip studs ! :yup:
this is my first choice... but i need to wait a little time before buying it... need to get more money !

·
Registered
98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next
2,125 Posts
Fel pro is an excellent choice for a replacement gasket.

I don't know who is the oem supplier to GM at the time the motors were being made but with the studs and a good head gasket you shouldn't have any issues for a long time.

Ajxtcman is the "root cause and failure" sticky in this section touched upon using a MLS (multi-layered steel) gasket which GM adopted later :hmm: to the 4.4 northstar.

I have replaced a few headgaskets and always use studs and a fel pro set.

On my eldo, (whenever I get a chance to get to it), I will use the MLS gasket and see how well it fairs....

Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts