Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Deville DTS
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

I've read as much as I can on the Northstar and Head gasket failure, quite honestly, it makes me sick !!

My problem on my 97 Deville Concours appears to be the start of head gasket failure. When the car sits overnight it starts usually fine, but when warm you have to crank it for 5-7 seconds three times to get it to start, and then you sometimes get that sweet smell of antifreeze. The car DOES not use antifreeze and when running is totally fine.

So, what to do? This car is from FL, under 100k miles, and is in super, super shape. I want it to last the rest of this year. Should I use Steel Seal, Bars????

Some advice please. Mike/Milwaukee

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
If it doesn't use coolant it does not sound like head gaskets. Hard starting when hot has never been a symptom of HG's. Check the FPR.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,112 Posts
I'm with Zonie. Check the FPR. A leaky diaphragm is a symptom of hard hot starts. Don't put anything in the cooling system.

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
Check your coolant for hydrocarbons to verify headgasket issues. They sell kits at Napa and such. Personally, if the car is super clean and in great condition it is well worth getting the headgaskets redone if that is the issue.

·
Registered
2000 Deville DTS
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Head gasket

I did have the dealer check the coolant bottle for exhaust fumes, and they said they were picking up traces of fumes when they did the test.

I have only had to add less than 1 1/2 quarts of Antifreeze to the car in the 15 months I have owned it. The temp needle has never moved at all.

Is an FPR a fuel pressure regulator? I'm not a mechanic.

Thanks, Mike/Milwaukee

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,112 Posts
Yes, FPR = fuel pressure regulator. Easy to check. There is a tutorial in the Tech Tips section.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts