Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1998 deville
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just purchased a 98 Deville. Was supposed to be a beater for two teenaged girls. However, I wound up falling in love with her and am thinking of keeping her for myself. The guy that I got her from told me that the engine overheats. He told me that it has been tested by "several mechanics" and that all that she needed was a new water pump. I took his word and gambled with the six hundred dollars he was asking. Long story short, I block tested it and it is almost certainly the head gasket. This car has 197k. The interior is surprisingly clean and the body is very straight. Almost everything on this car works perfectly. Do I have the head gasket replaced? Is it worth the time, money and effort? Or should I just replace the entire engine or just give up on her all together? I would love to hear from folks that might love this car as much as I do. Everyone else tells me to just dump her. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Only you can answer the is it worth it question. If you have the work done is the car worth 2k plus more to you?
A different engine is an option however it would be a gamble to swap it in without doing inserts or studs as most of the labor is r & r anyways.
Wouldn't hurt to check the purge line before committing to engine work as it's simple and free to do.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,292 Posts
Hello, I just purchased a 98 Deville. Was supposed to be a beater for two teenaged girls. However, I wound up falling in love with her and am thinking of keeping her for myself. The guy that I got her from told me that the engine overheats. He told me that it has been tested by "several mechanics" and that all that she needed was a new water pump. I took his word and gambled with the six hundred dollars he was asking. Long story short, I block tested it and it is almost certainly the head gasket. This car has 197k. The interior is surprisingly clean and the body is very straight. Almost everything on this car works perfectly. Do I have the head gasket replaced? Is it worth the time, money and effort? Or should I just replace the entire engine or just give up on her all together? I would love to hear from folks that might love this car as much as I do. Everyone else tells me to just dump her. Thanks in advance for your opinions.
================================

Is it worth the time, money and effort?
don't know about time and effort - but the money part -
only YOU can answer that question -
HG job runs $2500 to $3000 -

simply swapping in a used engine is a real crap-shoot -
it might last "forever" -
or the head gaskets could fail the next day -

is a 98 Deville with 200,000 miles worth $3600? - NO

for $4000 you should be able to find a 2000 or newer Deville -
with less than 150,000 miles -

·
Registered
1998 deville
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What if I were to do the work myself. I understand the complexity of the job and might be willing to put the time and effort into it if I could prolong this cars demise. Am I being too sentimental?

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
If you have the ability go for it. It is a complex motor and a few specialty tools will be needed. Still run you 600 minimum in parts(if you search, have time do your homework) , closer to 1k if you fix any oil leaks. I wouldn't slap a different engine in without changing rear seal and splitting the case and changing mid plate as they are notorious for leaking oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts