Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'03 Deville
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this has been asked and answered somewhere. I spent some time with the search engine and couldn't find the answer.

The studs for the head gasket fix for our engines are fairly expensive, so I started thinking. Would it be possible to use a normal stud or bolt with the larger diameter and drill out the holes in the head slightly larger to get the stud to fit through.

I'm sure someone has looked at this at some point. Are the clearances for the bolt head/nut too tight on the head or something else?

I have an engine that has a bad head gasket that I swapped out of my old caddy and a friend that has nice caddy with a bad engine. So this got me thinking on how to get things fixed, but cost is our #1 concern. Normal studs would be much less expensive than the custom head gasket fix studs.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
The issue is the bolts or studs will not go through the head and heads would be too big for spot the have to fit if they are big enough to fix the issue. Inserts or studs only way to fix the problem. Do a search for inserts and studs for difference and costs of each.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,458 Posts
Use either the studs/kit from www.northstarperformance.com or the inserts/kit from www.huhnsolutons.com.

With inserts you can use either new GM head bolts or new studs from ARP.

Even if you could bore the cylinder head bolt holes oversized, the necessary oddball studs would cost a bundle.

Thread moved to Engines, Northstar for more exposure.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts
I apologize if this has been asked and answered somewhere. I spent some time with the search engine and couldn't find the answer.

The studs for the head gasket fix for our engines are fairly expensive, so I started thinking. Would it be possible to use a normal stud or bolt with the larger diameter and drill out the holes in the head slightly larger to get the stud to fit through.

I'm sure someone has looked at this at some point. Are the clearances for the bolt head/nut too tight on the head or something else?

I have an engine that has a bad head gasket that I swapped out of my old caddy and a friend that has nice caddy with a bad engine. So this got me thinking on how to get things fixed, but cost is our #1 concern. Normal studs would be much less expensive than the custom head gasket fix studs.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
=====================
there is a guy in Minneapolis who uses coarse-thread - oversize bolts -
he drills out the heads to accommodate the large diameter bolts -

his price is $1500 exchange - or to do your engine - after it is out -

1 - 4 of 4 Posts