Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah KC,
I was thinking that very thing while I was writing it. I was wondering how hard you'd jump on it, and of course you didn't let me down.
You're right too. Unfortunately, with me, I was always a speed freak and motorcycles were my outlet. So motorcycles had to be FAST and HANDLE great. I started out on dirt bikes and LOVED getting airborne. Got into motocross, and then a little road racing up at Pocono Raceway. Once I got my license, I started getting into bikes that were fast AND handled. That's what got me going on 2 strokes. To be honest, I had close to a dozen bikes before I finally got a 4 stroke bike (a Honda 750F). The 2 stroke dirt bikes with their wildly explosive power bands were intoxicating to me, so when I started riding the Yamaha RD's/RZ's and Kawasaki H1's and H2's, I was again in love but this time on the street. Unfortunately, the 2 strokes lacked the on-road comfort and long-term durability that I wanted (and found in 4 strokes).
So bottom line, I never got into Harley's mainly because they were the opposite of what I loved. They were slow and handled about as good as a lawn tractor. Later in my cycling career, I might have gotten into Harley's except for the fact that virtually everyone that had one thought it made them a hard-ass, and that is just not me. I can't buy something that tends to be a status symbol. Whether it symbolizes wealth, or a specific personality type (like an outlaw breed). That's originally why I wouldn't even LOOK at a BMW, or Saab, or any of those preppy cars (now yuppie cars). That's also why I haven't really ever looked at Corvettes either. They started being the symbol of mid-life crisis and white trash just trying to be cool.
Sorry I'm off on a tangent but it's been snowing here since yesterday and we're about 2 feet deep outside right now. In other words.... CABIN FEVER!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Yo katshot! It sounds like we kinda came up through the same ranks as far as biking goes..I did the mini bike on up through motocross thing as well. The split came when we changed over to street bikes! We're environmentally different at that point! My geographical location and social circle differed greatly from yours...Hence my gravitation to Harley and yours to imports! I always wanted Harley-Davidson to come up with something that would handle better and even in the '70s harped on the need to go to overhead cams and lighter weight w/realistic suspension rates and the list goes on and on! As you have probably seen in some of my previous posts on the subject I am neither an apologist nor a major cheerleader for the brand. I personally think that over the years the motor co. has done themselves and their customers a disservice by offering a limited and highly flawed product line. That being said...I can at this point thank them for that very flaw 'cause I have made a fine business out of the repair and upgrade of the things! If you've noticed also I only recommend 2 count'em TWO of their models as being capable of real performance ( at great expense I night add ) The Sportster and the FXR ( out of production since '94 ) I ride an FXR with more upgrades than the average guy could ever afford in this lifetime and I regularly wax the jap bike guys in canyon racing and mountain road racing. I can also attribute a lot of that racing success to my own abilitys 'cause I've been racing a long time on bikes with fairly severe limitations and now that I have something that handles really well it makes it EASY! I've also had this bike since '89 and we get along very well. I know that if you ever threw a leg over my personal ride you'd be surprised in a big way and would probably want one.The coolest thing about it is the low end torque that I use to great benefit in the twisties. But at $40,000 a copy over and above the purchase price of the bike it's out of reach of the average motorcycle enthusiast! I've built a few like it and I'm currently building one for a cuctomer that rides Yamahas and got waxed by me three weekends in a row and then asked for my card. I agree with most of your points for the most part but until you ride a Harley that is truly set up right (There are admittedly few) You can't possibly know about THAT kind of rush! I have ridden many Imports from Aprillas to Yamahas and I am particularly fond of the Honda VFR 800. Because of what I do I get access to MANY different bikes and I have yet to find one I'd rather ride everyday than my FXR from a sheer enjoyment standpoint And there my friend is where we fundamentally agree!

I'm not even snowbound and I can do a tangent!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Did Ya like the news flash thing?.......I thought it was a nice touch! Didn't you?

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah you can!
I know what you mean about guys and bikes as far as how so many rely on the bike for the race win. It's just not that easy. I also know what you mean about how you wax a lot of guys that have superior bikes because of your riding ability. A close freind of mine is a phenominal rider and could usually wax me even though his bike was less powerful and not as good handling. Luckily, I didn't usually run into a lot of guys that could out-ride me but it did happen from time to time:(
As for your bike, I agree that with the right amount of talent and money, you can even make a Harley a mean machine. And I agree that it's a lot of fun to do that kind of thing but to be honest, I always felt the Harley was a little too needy in the performance department for me to do one. Ya gotta draw the line somewhere ;)
Hell, if I REALLY wanted a fast Harley, I'd buy a Buell. What do you think about Buell's? They always seemed a little to "home-made" looking for me but I understand they're great bikes. Aren't they just kind of a poor-man's Ducati though?
I'm sure you know more about those kinds of machines than me. Thumpers never did anything for me. The closest I came to one was a Yamaha XT500 enduro bike. I wanted something I could ride on the road but then jump on a trail if I wanted. Great bike, tons O' torque but it was a heavy beast which made it quite a handfull on the trails.
How's this for my second tangent?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Kind'a like my (are you ready for this?) BSA Victor 500...Remember them? Heavy, Not quick! NEVER competitive, Tons of torque...Lots of fun! As for buells They're ok, They probably don't break down quite as much as a Ducati They handle well but they're WAY short in the top speed dept. and you're right they look like somebody bolted a Sportster engine in a Duc frame! I get to see a lot of 'em in my mirror if I bother to look! To address your previous comment about the badass image of a lot of Harley guys. It does exist big time and it's a natural offshoot of the fact that a lot of us in the '50s, '60s, '70s joined motorcycle clubs and the clubs were generally comprised of tough guys that kind of liked to brawl and raise hell and party. I know it's hard to believe from my timid personality but I was one of those guys and have been there done that! The current Harley phenomenon was bourne of the mystique that grew out of that lifestyle and the publics fear and wonder about it! That why you see all these peckernecked yuppies getting all dressed up in their biker suit on the weekend and going out and acting like a$$holes. They were scared sh*tless of us when they were young but at the same time they wanted to be us more than anything in the world. Now the perception is that we're all nicer and all that nonsense and that we've mellowed with age or something like that! So now they put on their leathers and their Harley t-shirt and load the bike on the trailer and hook it up to the old Winnebago and go to the runs and drive up the price of everything and have no idea that we laugh at them behind their backs and sometimes to their faces 'cause we all think that they're ridiculous! Then every once in a while one of them will say or do something stupid and try to act like the badasses that they emmulate and one of their HEROS beats the bark off of them. At that point the poor dummy usually goes home and sells the bike(3 Years old with 1500 miles on it!) and tells the neighbors that it wasn't as fun as he thought it would be...And We're still out here doing what we've ALWAYS done. As it should be!

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I know the type!
I kinda figure they will cause a severe glut of used low-mileage Harley's in the not too distant future. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Yep! I already get 'em I've got probably 6 or maybe seven '02s and '03s in my showroom for sale with low miles. It's been that way ever since this yuppie thing took hold in the mid '90s!

·
Banned
1993 Triple Black Allante
701 Posts
Sounds like I grew up the same as KC and Katshot, but I never did get into the street bikes. I always wanted a Harley, but settled for farming instead. I had an XR600R thumper a few years ago, but it was too damn heavy to throw around in the woods of East Tennessee. It would have been a great desert bike, but there is not one within 2,000 miles of here. Maybe one day I can pick up one of those low mileage 02 or 03's that you have KC. Til then I'll be puttin round on my International Tractor and my "56" Chevy 6400 hay hauler. The Cadillac is my stress buster when I want to ride in something that has some giddy-up W/O any cow sh*t on the floor mats.

The luxury cars mentioned before are all nice, but I'll take a Caddy anyday over that Euro trash.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Let me know! Wes, Why dont you split this into kill stories and call it Hayabusa revisited? That'll work and its along the same topic line!

·
Registered
1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe
1,576 Posts
Every year around this time you can always find some low miles Harleys in the paper. Went to look at one some time ago and what did I find? Some yuppie!! He was trying to sell his Sportster
at $1000 more than what Harley was selling at their place!!!! Claimed it was a rare Hugger Custom. Made me laugh. I rather go looking for a nice pre-2000 model with a few more miles since I plan to do the 1200 conversion within a year. Then its bagger hunting time!!!!!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Yeah Baby! Your in my house now! LOL! I'm sittin' in the Reno Hilton right now with A LAPTOP and I hate laptops! But I'm here on business right now so what can I do?

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Reno huh?
Never been there. Always went to Vegas for the limo shows. That was great years ago. Nowadays, Vegas is just crowded, and expensive.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Reno's ok, I'm gonna more than likely be living there after the first of May! I'm putting a deal together there that I can't discuss at the moment but when it's all set up I'll let you guys know. I'm also gonna try to offer discounts to guys that subscribe to this site. It'll be a service that some of you guys will more than likely use if you ever go there on vacation! I ain't talking about bike repair...I'll still have that business but I want to diversify!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts