Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
2009 CTS-V
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the Hawk ceramic pads while the car was down and I am impressed. I've used their pads before on Z06's and stuff and while going with ceramics you often lose initial bite and they don't start to perform to stock or better standards until you warm them up a few stops. This is a non-technical review but I can just say that I could immediately tell a nice difference in stopping power over the stockers. Pretty crazy and really good at the same time. Getting rid of that ridiculous amount of dust while just street driving yet having more stopping power is a win-win. I love this car.

·
Premium Member
2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual
1,371 Posts
I also have a full front/rear set of Hawk ceramic pads waiting for when the oem's wear out. Good to hear the good review, as there has been some debate on this forum about how good the Hawks are, and the amount of dust produced, versus the oem pads. Thanks for the write-up ...

Rob

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;
1,219 Posts
I just installed the Hawk ceramic pads while the car was down and I am impressed. I've used their pads before on Z06's and stuff and while going with ceramics you often lose initial bite and they don't start to perform to stock or better standards until you warm them up a few stops. This is a non-technical review but I can just say that I could immediately tell a nice difference in stopping power over the stockers. Pretty crazy and really good at the same time. Getting rid of that ridiculous amount of dust while just street driving yet having more stopping power is a win-win. I love this car.
This is encouraging to hear! Does anyone have experience with these pads (or any other ceramic pads for that matter) on a lapping day? I would be very interested in finding out how these function through multiple 20-30 minute lapping sessions on a high-speed road course during the day.
I've basically resigned myself to the idea over the years, that if one wants solid, fade-free performance on a track from a set of brake pads, then you gotta accept the fact that they're gonna dust like hell.
It sounds like these ceramic Hawks are great for day-to-day street driving and a relatively dust-free experience. I'd love to eliminate the chore of getting rid of all that freakin' brakel dust every time I clean the car... I spend almost as much time on the wheels as I do on the rest of the car!
But I will not sacrifice brake feel and performance on the track for this "convenience"! LOL!
Looking for some input from the brake experts here... do you think these pads could be a consideration for my requirements?

Best regards,

Elie

·
Registered
Had 2009 V, Red/Blk 2016 Now
4,186 Posts
I've always switched to ceramic pads on all my cars, w/o an issue. I've never had any dusty ceramics either. The only reason I'm not using Hawks now are the price alone. I found other ceramics a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Keith, If you also install steel braided brake lines, you would take it to the next level.
I had the braided lines and centric posi quiet semi-metallic pads installed on my srt8.
It made a BIG BIG difference in reduced dust and initial bite.

·
Banned
2009 CTS-V
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keith, If you also install steel braided brake lines, you would take it to the next level.
I had the braided lines and centric posi quiet semi-metallic pads installed on my srt8.

Thanks Curtis. Now I just spent 300 more, lol. You are ight on the braided lines though. I've run them before and they are very confidence inspiring.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i
1,840 Posts
I'm actually getting more dust with the Hawk Ceramics than the stockers. Note that the major component of "brake" dust is actually rotor debris, implying that the Ceramics are harder on the rotors--which probably explains their better stopping power after warm-up. Yes they were bedded in correctly.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Not sure how you can be getting more dust with the Hawks than the OE's. I had the Hawk ceramics on my V1 and now on my V2. Both are/were dustless, compared to the OE's. Dick

·
Banned
2009 CTS-V
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That threw me too. Are you sure you have the ceramics? Their main benefit and why they were developed was to dust less.

·
Registered
2009 cts-v
534 Posts
my train of thought(although possibly completely wrong) on brakes has always been softer pads = more dust= prolonged rotor life. Harder pads=less dust=reduced rotor life. Also, I would hope rotor debris would be a very minor component in dust. But again, I'm all ears, would like to learn more about the subject.
Ross

·
Registered
2009 cts-v
534 Posts
Stix, assuming some other significant person in your life drove your car. Whould she.....I mean they, think something was "different" about the brakes? I would love to try the ceramics if it means less dust. Thanks.
Ross

G

·
Curtis I also had these pads on my SRT8 and found the dust was much less but there was no bite increase. Maybe your increase was due to the braided lines?
I would love to see less dust on the V but I always experienced less bite with ceramics which I dont want. Educate me!

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V
91 Posts
I am inclined to agree GMX322 on the brake dust. Most of the "dust" is coming from the rotors. (you can see a Cadillac engineer comment on this on You-Tube), and changing pads rarely helps.
Our observations are very subjective - if you really want to do a good comparison, put a New set of OEMs of one side, and an aftermarket selection on the other.

I tried it twice, (different car), and concluded that brake dust is a fact of life.(I also returned the pads!)
If anyone finds a pad with consistent results from multiple users, I'm ready to try again.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i
1,840 Posts
There's at least one other forum member that reported results similar to me. He was one that initially got one of the early sets that left the rust ring towards the middle of the contact surface. Thanks to his pioneering efforts, I was able to pre-order and receive one of the first sets of the current parts. I had regrets within a month. More dust, as well as loud groan/vibration when creeping when it's cold/dewey out. Oh well, live and learn...

·
Banned
2009 CTS-V
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Stix, assuming some other significant person in your life drove your car. Whould she.....I mean they, think something was "different" about the brakes? I would love to try the ceramics if it means less dust. Thanks.
Ross
No, she hasn't driven it yet. It's turned her loose on the Z06 to the mall a few times with a friend and every guy wanted to either meet her or race. A Z06 with 2 ladies in it? Craziness.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
There's at least one other forum member that reported results similar to me. He was one that initially got one of the early sets that left the rust ring towards the middle of the contact surface. Thanks to his pioneering efforts, I was able to pre-order and receive one of the first sets of the current parts. I had regrets within a month. More dust, as well as loud groan/vibration when creeping when it's cold/dewey out. Oh well, live and learn...
Check post 30 of this thread. One of the members was Doug (Lavaman) who had similar results.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...-2009/171126-brake-pads-available-hawk-2.html

·
Registered
Tuner car fanatic..there all good!
1,142 Posts
Great post, thank you.

Specifically...What Hawk brake pad model are we talking about?

·
Registered
Had 2009 V, Red/Blk 2016 Now
4,186 Posts
I'll repost my result using Autozone ceramic pads. I did a side-by-side test for over a month, and the results were stunning even after a week; nothing visible compared to the stock pads. They have a lifetime warranty, except for wear of course, and were only $64 last summer. They didn't have the rear pads avaialable then, so I went with Monroe.
I'll give them a road course tryout in May, at the F-Body event in IN.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts