Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
08 Platinum Escalade, 08 CTS, 01 TransAm WS6, 07 SolsticeGXP
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I seem to be having some issues with my seat, and I wonder if this is by design or what. I've read the manual several times, but I just don't get it...

I have an 08 with all the features (Remote Keyless Entry, Telescoping steering wheel, etc)

And yes, I activated all possible options in the DIC.

So here is the situation:

1 - How can I program the exit position? I can program the steering wheel position for exit, but when I put the seat down (but not all the way back), and press and hold the middle Exit Position button down, after three seconds, instead of beeping twice and remembering my position, it then goes alllll the way back and down. Something I don't like.

I tried doing it in park; with the engine running; in the on position; you name it.

Every single time I hold the button down to remember my exit position, just goes to the furthest position. Am I doing something wrong? In my 04 CTS, this worked like a charm.

2 - Should the memory positions work when I enter the car without pushing the remote's unlock button? ie. normally, I just walk up to the car and pull on the handle to get in. Should this cause (1) the exit position to be recalled, and then, once I start the car, (2) to bring the seat to the preferred driving position?

It seems like I have to press button 1 on the door. And yes, I did turn this all on in the DIC customization.

I just feel like something is wrong, as compared to my 2004 CTS.

I did recently wear out the battery in the car and after charging it, the radio didn't work. I had to pull out the radio fuse and put it back, and everything worked. I wonder if I have to do something similar with the seat.

If someone can please just provide me with the EXACT steps they did to program the Exit Position, that would be amazing. In order to avoid having the seat go all the way back, I just set the DIC to change only the steering wheel column. It's a workaround for now.

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a similar problem. The seat goes back when I get out of the car but when I want to get back in and open the door the seat goes back to my driving position automatically before I get in.

I have tried a number of settings and none of them seem to work.

The whole point would be for the seat to stay back and once you get in and start the car the seat should return to the driving position and the steering wheel should also return to that position.

Weird.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very interesting!
...Something is definitely wrong!
We'll see what others have to say...
I especially want to know the exact steps they take to program the Exit Position...

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013
2,092 Posts
Sorry, bad news for you guys.

The 2008 CTS Owner's Manual is incorrect. Exit positions cannot be programmed as described therein. Basically there are two factory presets. So... 1.) if you attempt to select an exit position within the forward half of the seat track (nearest to the steering wheel), then your exit position will be at about the midpoint of the track; or, 2.) if you select an exit position within the rear half of the seat track (farthest from the steering wheel), then your exit position will be all-the-way-back to the rear of the track. The only other option is to disable the (POS!) exit position feature, and that's what many of us early-2008 CTS owners have done and forgotten. Don't know what, if any, changes might have been made to late-2008 or 2009 models.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for the info!

I was going crazy figuring out what's going on with these seats.

That is totally annoying, but I'm glad you solved the riddle.

Once again...the CadillacOwners.com to the rescue!

I am glad the steering wheel has a memory!

·
Registered
09 CTS DI FE3
416 Posts
I have a similar problem. The seat goes back when I get out of the car but when I want to get back in and open the door the seat goes back to my driving position automatically before I get in.

I have tried a number of settings and none of them seem to work.

The whole point would be for the seat to stay back and once you get in and start the car the seat should return to the driving position and the steering wheel should also return to that position.

Weird.
The seat automatically going back is an option on the DIC. It's something like auto recall. You have to turn it to off then when you get in you hit the memory button to go to where you want it. It's a stupid design but oh well.

·
Registered
CTS, DI, FE3
281 Posts
The seat position is based on which key fob you have. For instance when I have my key and I get out the seat backs up, as soon as I hit the unlock button the seat returns to key fob 1's presets. If I use the other key it goes to whatever that is set as.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm... Maybe it's not so clear, then.

Here's the thing, just to confirm.

I set Driver 1 to how I like to drive. I just choose a comfortable position and hold down button #1, and it remembers me. That's not a problem.

For the "exit position", I just move the steering wheel and seat to where I want it, and when I hold down the exit button, instead of it "memorizing" how I like to leave the car, it goes allllllllll the way back.

It DOES remember how I like the steering wheel.

The irony (and this may sound silly) is that I actually like my exit position to be higher than how I like the seat when I drive! I find it easier to get into a car with a high seat.

So in my old caddy, it was so easy to program. Just go into Park, move the seat high up, press and HOLD the recall button, and BEEP BEEP. iIt was now memorized.

In the 2008, I try to do the same. I put the seat where I want it, I press and hold the Exit memory button to 'teach it', and damn! It goes alll the way back.

Who the heck wants to get into a car with the seat soooo far back and so low?? It also makes it very hard to get my hockey back in the back. Something just is not right....!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I sent in the second post about my exit position.

I had a 99 STS. I turned off the ignition, and the seat went back and the steering wheel moved back and up.

When I got back in the car and put the key in the ignition, the steering wheel returned to my position and the seat moved up. That seems relatively simple.

I have to pick my 09 CTS up today for another issue and I will run this by them again.

Basically, I think what we have here is a design flaw but you would have to wonder why they screwed up such an easy process.

It can't be a cost issue.

How much would it have cost to program the seat in a logical manner.

I have a feeling this is a "that's the way it is. Live with it."

·
Registered
2009 Black Ice/Ebony CTS-4 DI FE2
340 Posts
Yeah, i'm pretty sure we just get to suck this one up.:alchi:
Funny thing is my '96 Riv did exactly what you wish this one did (minus the mirrors). GM does strange shit sometimes.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm so glad I found the other thread. Thanks guys!
I did read all 19 pages of posts, but that was before I bought the car.
I am going to re-read every thread before I ask another question.

Mods... please feel free to delete or merge my other memory seat thread!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts