1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Cts V
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 2010 Cts V about a month ago. Left a week after I purchased the
vehicle on vacation and just returned home. The car battery is dead, no biggie,
use the normal key inside the fob and jump start. Went to do that and the key does not work, feels as though something is up with the lock inside the door. So I am in the process of having it towed to a cadillac dealer in San Antonio to see if they
can open the car up to jump it, and fix the door.

I am looking for ideas on how to approach the issue. Do not know if this is common problem with the V. I did read about a few members turning off the easy entrance easy exit option so the battery doesnt die.

Anyone know how the dealer will get into the car? A roadside assitance guy came and looked at the car and didnt want to damage the door(slim jim option) so was
not able to help.

Any advice is appreciated and thank you in advance.

Im coming from a Z06 background, so not completely inept to cars, just looking
for advice.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V wagon
500 Posts
If the seller gave you two fobs, I might try the other fob's key. Maybe the seller lost a fob and did not have the physical key cut, just programmed the replacement fob.
I also would try replacing the fob battery, I'm not sure you could tell if it was the car or fob battery that was dead. Unlikely it is the fob, but worth a try.
On my vette and previous CTS, I've never gotten to a completely dead vehicle battery. I have had fobs go to the point they would not open the door though. I just use the
other fob when that happens, but I have both fobs.

·
Registered
2010 Cts V
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dont have the second fob, dealer is dragging their feet.

The key looks cut, goes in the door, turns, but does not open.

Anyone think that a locksmith could help?

Thanks agin

----------

I also tried a new battery in the Fob with no luck.

·
Registered
2010 Cts V
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: Got into the car, found a locksmith who knew what he was doing. Wouldn't turn over dead battery. So
Jumped it at the remote terminals under the hood as the manual suggested, started up. Ran the car for 30 min at
Idle, then drove about 12 miles. Brought it back home, shut it off and would not start back up.

Should be the battery correct? Alternator kept it running while I was driving it(?)

So my new question is that the battery in the trunk is an aftermarket advanced auto battery. Which tells me it's been replaced before. Am I creating something out of nothing? Or did the battery just go dead and need to replace it, no big deal.

2010 with 38k miles. Shouldn't need another battery right? Thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,143 Posts
Brand spanking new batteries have been known to fail immediately. Get it tested first. I am of the belief it is the battery. On the regular CTS side is "tbbt" aka Marv, and he worked for a battery manufacturer for decades. He knows his stuff. He would tell you its your battery.

·
Registered
2010 Cts V
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: Replaced the old battery, went the optima route. Hopefully that will take care of that.

Anyone ever have the manual key not work? Something I can fix possibly?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2011 V-Wagon & 2012 SRX Premium
1,018 Posts
Update: Replaced the old battery, went the optima route. Hopefully that will take care of that.

Anyone ever have the manual key not work? Something I can fix possibly?

Thanks!
If I'm reading this right, the key turns in the lock, but it won't unlock the door? If that's the case, the linkage from the lock to the door mechanism probably came loose, or fell off. Do you hear any rattle when you close the door, possibly the linkage rattling around? Should be an easy fix, pull the door panel, and put the linkage back on with a new clip (likely a plastic retainer). If your dealer can't figure this out, find a new dealer...

·
Registered
2010 Cts V
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sometimes it does make that rattling sound, maybe I should pull the door panel first before the dealer. Thanks for the advice! Will do. ��

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,143 Posts
I have a "how-to" on your door panel R/R. PM me if you need it. Include your personal email addy so I can send it to you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts