Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99' SLS Seville
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it only turns over but no start i have to wait a while. also airbag light turns on when that turns off check engine light comes on and the car starts.

pulled off codes and got, abs c1211 u1016 c1255 c1276, ddm b1983 u1255 u1016, dim u 1016 b1805 b1983 b1652, ipc u1255, ipm b1652 b1340, irc b1983 u1016, pcm p0603, rim u1255 u1016 b1327, sdm u1255, msm u1016 u1327, ttm b1983 u 1016, rss c1738 c1762 c1763.

cleared all codes and got back current rss c1738 c1762 c1763, ipm b1340, ipc u1255 and sdm u1255.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,748 Posts
Please post the code definitions. Use the link in the sticky ^^^ "How to pull codes" - the link has "obd2" in the URL. That takes you to a Master Index of links to the definitions.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,941 Posts
Codes mean nothing without the definitions. I doubt anyone has them memorized. Please post the code definitions along with the codes and check your fuel pressure.

·
Registered
99' SLS Seville
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok i'll look em up and no, no fuel pressure no power to fuel pump. my bad accidentally double posted didn't how to delete other post

·
Registered
99' SLS Seville
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm found this from current:
C1762 - Left Rear Position Sensor Input Fault
C1763 - Right Rear Position Sensor Input Fault
C1738-Exhaust Solenoid Valve Short to GND
U1255 - Class 2 Communication Malfunction (Serial Data Line Malfunction)
B1340 - Air Mix Door One Movement Fault
Im not really sure what they mean and
also found this from history, B1805 - Ignition Switch Problem

·
Registered
99 STS, White Diamond
792 Posts
B1805 "Ignition Switch Problem" seems to be the key. The dash integration module deterimes the position of the ignition switch by monitoring ignition positive voltage on five circuits connected to the switch. There are 32 possible combination. Five of these combinations are valid switch positions and four are intermediate positions that can be considered valid. The remaining 23 combinations are invalid and cause this DTC to set. From your description of the problem, it sounds like there is an intermittent problem in the ignition switch that will prevent the car from starting (as well as other problems) because the electronics don't know the position of the switch. The U1255 error indicates that the various computer modules are not receiving information from each other when the ignition switch is in the "run" position. If I had to guess, I would say that the dash integration module is often not receiving a valid "run" position indication from the switch.

Your other DTCs would not be related to a no start condition.

C1762 and 1763 mean that the rear suspension position sensors are faulty or disconnected. (There is a suspension position sensor on each wheel--they look sort of like one of those simple postage scales.) With these DTCs you should be receiving "Service Suspension System" and similar messages. Do you have aftermarket (passive) shocks? If so, perhaps someone disconnected the sensors.

C1738 is a fault in the solenoid that exhausts air from the rear load-leveling suspension. If you have aftermarket rear shocks (without air leveling capability) this doesn't matter as the system isn't working anyway...

B1340 points to a bad actuator in the climate control--specifically one that works to regulate delivered air temperature (I think driver side). These are stepper motors that sometimes can sometimes get out of sync. Manually adjust both the driver and passenger temperature from minimum to maximum a couple times and this might clear a synchronization problem.

·
Registered
99' SLS Seville
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh thanks for the reply SwampeastMike, explained alot. Yea thats what it seems like it from the dash sometimes i try to scroll thru the message board thing and it doesnt let me and sometimes it does.Is that all, the ignition. If i try to fix it would it work again fine. A lot of things are starting to go wrong with it. i love the car but damn i should traded.

Yea they were disconnected to drop the gas tank to switch the fuel pump (i thought it was the problem) dont know if they got connected back. Later that day i found out i could take it out of the trunk, i got mad.

Your right about the actuator. One side blows hot another blows cold. I left it sitting at home for a few months came back and that happened.

·
Registered
99 STS, White Diamond
792 Posts
Will replacing the ignition switch fix the problem?

It seems likely (I read of many ignition switch problems here) but without troubleshooting it's impossible to say for sure.

The troubleshooting for B1805 in the factory manual makes me believe it can be done without the Tech II if you assume that the DIM (dash integration module) is not faulty (unlikely without other problems as well). You'll definitely need a service manual or online subscription as well as a simple multimeter to work through the troubleshooting steps.

YIKES! Didn't you have to disassemble most of the rear suspension to remove the gas tank? At least the engineers did give simple service access to the fuel pump even if you'd never know it existed without access to a service manual or someone familiar with the car...

·
Registered
99' SLS Seville
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea i think i might do that, turned on quick this morning. you know any easy way to remove the ignition switch? also do I have to disable all the airbags? (read it from the repair book for cadillacs).

Yea the whole chassis. Wasnt my idea, my father in laws. He went to go ask at different auto part places and they told him to drop the tank and he did halfway into until i started helping and i thought theirs gotta be another way and there was.

·
Registered
99 STS, White Diamond
792 Posts
You can find a number of discussions here about replacing the ignition switch, but I highly, highly recommend you get a true service manual or online subscription.

I don't care how good the mechanic with a wrench and welder, without a factory service manual you are working almost blind on these extremely complex cars.

And yes, by the manual you are definitely supposed to disable the air bag system. It's not difficult but it takes some time--one fuse and four connectors.

·
Registered
99' SLS Seville
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright thanks Mike i'll write back and see how it goes. btw I do have a service manual. It has all wiring diagrams and to tear down and rebuild the car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts