Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am very new to the forums so it's nice meeting you all!

Having an issue with my car hoping its a small problem... It was very cold yesterday and my car would not start right away. Tried a couple times then finally it turned over. Mind you, I have NEVER had an issue like this before. When the car started, an indicator on my dash said "engine off/AC off. " the cooling fan was running heavily... Drove for about 30 min and the temperature gauge was not moving an inch. I managed to get home and then let the car site over night. Started it the next morning and it had a very tough time starting but it eventually started and said the same thing on my dash again with the fan running...

2 things I am thinking the problem is here...

-Thermostat or the temperature sensor

Please Lmk what exactly is the problem here and if it's an easy fix...

All help/replies are appreciated.

Thanks in advance

-Josh

----------

JNEZ said:
Hi everyone, I am very new to the forums so it's nice meeting you all! Having an issue with my car hoping its a small problem... It was very cold yesterday and my car would not start right away. Tried a couple times then finally it turned over. Mind you, I have NEVER had an issue like this before. When the car started, an indicator on my dash said "engine off/AC off. " the cooling fan was running heavily... Drove for about 30 min and the temperature gauge was not moving an inch. I managed to get home and then let the car site over night. Started it the next morning and it had a very tough time starting but it eventually started and said the same thing on my dash again with the fan running... 2 things I am thinking the problem is here... -Thermostat or the temperature sensor Please Lmk what exactly is the problem here and if it's an easy fix... All help/replies are appreciated. Thanks in advance -Josh
I meant to say engine hot/AC off...

Thanks

·
Registered
2010 CTS 3.6 RWD Sport Wagon (traded in for a 2011 Lexus LS460 on 12/20/17)
321 Posts
How old is your battery? If more than five years, that would be the first thing I'd have checked, or just replace it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave1442397 said:
How old is your battery? If more than five years, that would be the first thing I'd have checked, or just replace it.
Hi,
I do need a new battery as well but I believe that is not the case since my cooling fan keeps running and my temp gauge doesn't move from cold...

·
Registered
2010 CTS 3.6 RWD Sport Wagon (traded in for a 2011 Lexus LS460 on 12/20/17)
321 Posts
Hi,
I do need a new battery as well but I believe that is not the case since my cooling fan keeps running and my temp gauge doesn't move from cold...
Yeah, but bad batteries can cause all sorts of electrical gremlins to appear. I would get that battery replaced asap and see if things clear up. It could take a while for the computers to relearn the correct operating parameters, so don't expect everything to be normal right after you get the battery. Not replacing the battery could lead to more problems.

·
Registered
CTS 2008 3.6DI Sport Luxury
1,027 Posts
The true is that strange things can happen if batery is bad. I had blocked doors, stabilitrack off, no sound in audio system...
Remember to replace battery with same type, not with smaller.

Anyway your problem is probably concerned with bad coolant temp sensor. You can easily check it by connecting scan device or laptop with odb2 interface and software like ScanXL which can read all sensors values.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave1442397 said:
Yeah, but bad batteries can cause all sorts of electrical gremlins to appear. I would get that battery replaced asap and see if things clear up. It could take a while for the computers to relearn the correct operating parameters, so don't expect everything to be normal right after you get the battery. Not replacing the battery could lead to more problems.
Appreciate the replies. I will change the battery asap and go from there. If that does not work I will go further and look into the temp sensor...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts