Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V Racecar, 2018 Escalade ESV, 2019 CT6-V
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in case I never mentioned it, these cars are a pain in the @ss to put on a trailer...

Here I sit still in NY on my way to Charlotte and V-Day a full 12 hours behind schedule.
Now knowing what a pain it is to get a decent trailer from UHaul, plus even worse to load. I spent the time tracking down a place that rents full deck tilting auto transports, well I found ONE...I called and said I need it for a week and it has to go to NC, WV, VA so it has to be in good condition. "Our trailers are brand new", great I thought.
So I get it home and I'm looking at the tie downs and notice they are all chains, i thought to myself no way, I have to get the straps, I'm not having metal on metal. So after going to 3 stores I get the right ones...
Well time comes to leave so I have it attached to my Escalade ESV since wifey and kids are coming and I proceed to tilt it up, well the tilt works fine but now the V's ground clearance won't make it. So off to home depot I go...
I get to home depot, buy the wood, cut it to size and very carefully it works.
Now I go to crank it down, only to find out the jack handle rips off and my V is stuck high in the air, mind you its now close to 11pm...So I have to repeat the whole process to get it off and rig a floor jack and wood to get the bed down.
I figure screw it, this ain't happening tonight< just go to sleep and return it in the morning.
Well this was the only transport they had, so I said fine, just refund my money and I'll go to UHaul. Well he started yammering on about how its brand new and worked fine yesterday and how he cancelled another customer so I could use it. I looked around at the other customers there and said to himthe registration says its a 2004, so its 5 years old, I purposely called and asked if it would go 1000 miles and it can't make it out of my fcukin driveway. If you want to be a d!ck about it, I'll be one too. I'll start by calling my credit card company and denying the charges and you can go have fun trying to get paid. After that he charged me for the day and I was on my way to UHaul...

Now it gets better, I'm the only one there and the girl says they have 2 dozen transports, go in the back and pick one out. I found one that had to be brand new, all shiny, LED lights, I said to myself, I should have just came here in the first place. Well it turns out the computer would not pair up the new trailer with my truck for some reason and they had to use a different one. The yard guy calls in a different number and that one works.
As I get outside its a old, rusted POS. The guys like, don't worry its a strong one. At this point I'm there an hour and I just want to be done. Well as he's hooking it up I notice he put the safety chains on wrong. I brought it to his attention and he said thats how he was trained. I told him I've towed cars and trucks since I was 12 and that I'll show him how to do it. Now I go to attach the lights and of course, they have the old plug style. So I put the adapter on and start testing them, blinkers work but no running lights, so I told him, no good, and he says "did you get the insurance?" as if I'm supposed to drive with no trailer lights, I kid you not.
So as hes looking at the lights, I notice smoke. I say theres no way my exhaust is making that much smoke and go running over. Well it turns out the harness is bad and the insulation is catching fire and smoking. Before the guy opened his mouth I had it unplugged and unattached...
I made them give me a fairly new one and I left after 2 hours. So now I'm home and going to look for a steep incline to load the V and leave tonight...
Sorry for the rant but I hope your VDay is going better than mine

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
At stock height, it's not so bad (relatively speaking). Just as you're doing, a nice incline makes it easier to load. Some blocks of wood'll help, as well, but it's not absolutely necessary, so long as you have a decent incline.

If you're lowered, forget it. It becomes much more of a headache. Lots of wood and patience...

·
Registered
CTS-V
572 Posts
Crap. Sorry about your day

P

·
0 Posts
I had lots of 2x6's and plenty of patience last year when I ripped the exhaust off trying to get it on a trailer.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I've got 2 or 3 places by my house with steep inclines, but looks like I'll be driving around until I find some places down there, the wood works but its a hassle.

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo
4,001 Posts
At least you have a V Day........

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,085 Posts
At least you have a V Day........
Man, I was beginning to wonder while reading that.

I had hit a tire tread on the freeway when they loaded my car on a flatbed. Good thing the front airdam and lower bumper were already screwed up, 'cause it rubbed even with wood put down to assist the approach.

Great story, btw. Sure as heck hope you have a good time at V Day. You deserve it!

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V with 2 carseats in the back and a f'ing minivan
607 Posts
Dude, just go get a trailer. I picked up a wood deck car hauler trailer for $1400 about 7 years ago. Replaced all the wood at 5 years for about $50. It's so much easier than trying to rent one and will pay for itself after just a couple of years.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe
1,635 Posts
But where do you store it?!

i rented one for a day, $80 i think? But that could get pricey for a whole week. Glad you got it all worked out though

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V with 2 carseats in the back and a f'ing minivan
607 Posts
But where do you store it?!

i rented one for a day, $80 i think? But that could get pricey for a whole week. Glad you got it all worked out though
Mine is stored at my dads farm. Everybody knows somebody with some land.

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V, Powered by Chevrolet
835 Posts
Well I've got 2 or 3 places by my house with steep inclines, but looks like I'll be driving around until I find some places down there, the wood works but its a hassle.
If you need an incline to load the trailer, how are you going to unload it at Summit?

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
There are plenty of area in Summit, I'm sure he will have no problem finding a suitable location.

Why didn't you drive it in the first place?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would have drove, but wifey and the 3 kids are coming. They are going to stay in NC and I'm gonna drive up to summit point.
It was an easy 2 day trip by myself until they all got involved...

·
Registered
05' CTS-V
3,718 Posts
why not bring some rhino ramps, back the tow rig up on them, theres your tilting trailer...I didn't have any rhino ramps when I loaded my camaro on a uhaul...just used the uhauls tongue jack to put it all up in the air as high as it would go...that and some wood and you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes driving up from charlotte on sunday, get in touch if u want to meet up

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, Black
2,165 Posts
Just sounds like one of those days. Hope your luck changes, bud :helpless:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts