Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator SEMPER PARATUS
2003 DeVille Base
4,513 Posts
Even though I'm not a veteran I had the honor today to voice the invocation at a Veterans Day gathering in our county. I was seated right beside three vets of WW2 and right across from five Korea era vets. I was awestruck. When it was time for the anthem & pledge, the Vets in wheel chairs insisted on standing and were helped by folks to do so. The plaza includes a Coast Guard vessel, Navy anchor, Marine chopper, an Air Force F4 and various Army vehicles

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Deville Base - Gold
317 Posts
I know I'm a bit late (very busy yesterday), but thanks to Sub and all the vets here for your service to our country. I bet some of you guys probably watch the news and are disgusted by how entitled and ungrateful my generation is (be it millennials or gen z...I kind of fall in between)...but please know that there is, and will always be, a huge swath of us who are extremely appreciative of your service and sacrifices. We know that, without you guys and gals, we'd have no hope in freedom, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Despite what you see on the media, please know that I know a ton of people of my generation who are good, honorable people who join the military, and they are worthy of carrying on the same legacy you carried, a legacy passed to you from older generations gone. We love our country, and we are forever in debt to our vets. I only say this because I try to talk to vets regularly, and I see that they are in despair watching the younger generations out there. Please know, though, that we're out here, and we back you guys 100%, all day, every day. I salute you!

·
Registered
2006 STS-V
631 Posts
I know I'm a bit late (very busy yesterday), but thanks to Sub and all the vets here for your service to our country. I bet some of you guys probably watch the news and are disgusted by how entitled and ungrateful my generation is (be it millennials or gen z...I kind of fall in between)...but please know that there is, and will always be, a huge swath of us who are extremely appreciative of your service and sacrifices. We know that, without you guys and gals, we'd have no hope in freedom, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Despite what you see on the media, please know that I know a ton of people of my generation who are good, honorable people who join the military, and they are worthy of carrying on the same legacy you carried, a legacy passed to you from older generations gone. We love our country, and we are forever in debt to our vets. I only say this because I try to talk to vets regularly, and I see that they are in despair watching the younger generations out there. Please know, though, that we're out here, and we back you guys 100%, all day, every day. I salute you!
The American youth is who staffs the military, serves and sacrifices for their country regardless of their generation. You say, “I try to talk to vets regularly, and I see that they are in despair watching the younger generations out there”. You ‘try to talk to vets regularly‘? WTH?

·
Super Moderator SEMPER PARATUS
2003 DeVille Base
4,513 Posts
The American youth is who staffs the military, serves and sacrifices for their country regardless of their generation. You say, “I try to talk to vets regularly, and I see that they are in despair watching the younger generations out there”. You ‘try to talk to vets regularly‘? WTH?
maybe lighten up a little. I didn't see anything in his post worthy of getting flamed. He's a young guy in law school.

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,611 Posts
maybe lighten up a little. I didn't see anything in his post worthy of getting flamed. He's a young guy in law school.
Yeah. My thoughts were: he probably knows a lot of young people. If he sees a problem with a lot of them, it probably exists. I don't think he was talking about all of them and certainly not the ones in the military.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Deville Base - Gold
317 Posts
Calm down, Captain Outrage. I cannot believe you are so upset over that post. I am well aware the youth staff the military. The military makes up a tiny percentage of the youth population. I am one of them - so you better believe I know their pulse a hell of a lot better than you do. Proportionally speaking, my generation differs from generations past with abnormally high levels of criticism of the military, our role in the world, etc. And yes, I'm aware of the anti-war hippies of the 60's and 70's...at least they had to be AWARE of what the hell they were talking about. Today, kids are so mind-numb and addicted to their screens that they simply accept whatever this celebrity or that sports star or this popular singer says, without any thought. They aren't even passionate about their beliefs - they simply believe them, which is in much higher numbers than before. That's where we differ from ye old hippies. Which is why, Jakerin, I tried to say that, despite the sheer amounts of mind-numb social media addicts out there, and BEYOND MILITARY PERSONNEL, there are still a chunk of us out there that support our military and vets. That's all. Geez, are you addicted to outrage.

And lastly, yes, I make an effort to show my appreciation of our vets (and our eternal debt to them) by offering them my TIME to actually listen the them, their stories, their perspectives, etc. I volunteer regularly at a nursing home...I have great men I hope to call friends who fought in WW2, Korea, Vietnam, etc. I also personally know dozens of vets from Desert Storm, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc., and I try to make it a priority to learn from them as well. They are often neglected by society, and not even just with their benefits and financial/health support. They're ignored. And I don't do it for recognition - I only tell you this to rebut your sad attack. I do it because we all owe them so much, but can give very little. And if you really want to get pissed off about that? I'd maybe reevaluate your priorities here.

Thanks for ruining a thread dedicated to respect for out veterans with your little self-righteous mocking.

·
Registered
2004 SRX N* AWD
704 Posts
Thanks to all veterans. My dad served in the Canadian Infantry in WW2. Fought in Holland, Belgium and right into the heart of Nazi Germany and was part of the occupying forces for a year or so. My dad's brother fought and died in Italy.

Also, thanks to all present Armed Forces personnel as well who will one day be veterans.

To all those who died in the line of duty - rest in peace.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts