Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2011 EXT Premium & 2006 STS4
212 Posts
Re: 2006 Nav system-----Finally works like it should

I have to admit that the Nav system was somewhat daunting when I first attempted to use it. After doing some searching in these forums, I was able to download some well written "cheat sheets" (cuddos to those authors). I laminated the pages, and placed them within easy reach. Now I prefer the on board nav system to our Garmin. I particularly like how the radio volume is lowered, and there is a ding to let you know the nav voice is fixing to tell you something. That helps when you forget all about the nav, and are jamming to some tunes :)
My wife still prefers the Garmin, but then again, she was scared to learn the Garmin at first too. The on board nav is as accurate as the Garmin, plus I can control the on board nav via "voice control". This takes a little more time to learn, but well worth it. Just my $.02 worth.

·
Registered
2006 STS 3.6 AWD
1,005 Posts

I've been a garmin user for the past 5 years. I've had my sts of 2 weeks. I now prefer the nav in the sts. More accurate.

·
Registered
06 STS-V & 06 STS 4 (sold 2016)
2,713 Posts

Yeah, all this whining about the STS Nav is getting old. It was a LITTLE confusing at first, but now it's a piece of cake and I like it a lot.

·
Registered
06 Cadillac STS
352 Posts

We took our STS on long road trips the last 2 summers (each 3500+ miles), and both involved numerous stops in many different cities. I brought my Garmin as backup, but never used it, as the STS got us to each point every time, no drama.

·
Registered
2008 CTS
112 Posts

I agree 100% that the STS nav is overcomplicated. I'm a computer programmer and I had to read the manual to figure out how to use it. With the development of any software, you should always consider the ease of use for the end user, which I don't think Cadillac did here. I also don't think it's any better than a Garmin or others (zoom in all the way and you still don't get all of the street names as one example), but I wouldn't get a vehicle without it because I like the controls for everything else (audio, phone, etc...) that the touchscreen offers.

·
Registered
Cadillac STS-V Black/Black
700 Posts
Re: Finally figured out 2006 sts nav.system. (SIMPLE)

Yep I thought the nav unit in my previous 2003 BMW 745i sucked until I got my 2006 STS. GM needs a new electronics suppliers or something. Not very user friendly and even then its not great to operate. My EX Gfs 2007 Civic factory nav is worlds better.

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,408 Posts
I used DeLorme software for my laptop and a separate GPS receiver with an old Palm IIIc. There was plenty of detail and accuracy and updates were convenient but just too much fooing around and gadgetry. I still use this old setup in my Ford Ranger but it's a lot of crap to have hanging from a dashboard or windshield mount.

The factory NAV in the STS is far and away more convenient and does everything I need. If worse comes to worse you can always call OnStar if you get confused.
I thought I was so awesome when I had a similar setup several years ago. It required a serial port GPS receiver on the dash, a laptop, a power inverter, and a lot of fumbling (or a passenger).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Some clarity on this issue that may provide some insight for those considering buying an STS with/without nav. While many here complain about the GM units (including me), most of us will recommend getting a car with Nav as it comes with many of the options you want. Also the in-dash screen is awesome for watching movies (with a lockpick device).
After living with my Nav unit for about a year, It's getting easier to use but even with the latest updated maps many addresses and POI's are not found on the maps. I live in a 6-year-old neighborhood that is a black hole on the map. The in-dash unit cannot compare to my Garmin Nuvi 760 in ease of use and accuracy, However, it is far more convenient and with some practice, you can some value out of the device. On long trips, use my Garmin for navigation and the in-dash unit to play movies for the kids, a pretty cool setup.

·
Registered
2006 STS N* 1SE
2,399 Posts
The original poster created a few threads about the same subject. I've merged them.
LOL - thanks for the explanation. I thought I slipped through a time warp and kept seeing the same thread over and over. I really started worrying when responders seeme to be repeating things I read a couple days ago!

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
I took a short trip with my sister recently. She usually uses a Garmin and lives in an area with addresses like 12S469 Gault Circle. She was amazed that all I needed to enter was the '12s469' press <Street> and type 'gault_c' before it displayed her friend's street. I'm not used to other systems but the STS seems easy to me.

·
Registered
2008 CTS
112 Posts
Sure, once you get the hang of it, it's not bad to use, but my wife's Garmin shows addresses and POI's that my STS's nav can't find...and I have the latest map disc. I entered a friend's address and the STS nav couldn't find it although they moved into the 'new' development 5 years ago.

Also, why did they break it up into US/Canada East and West discs?? Leave US on one and Canada on the other...I think there's more people traveling inside the countries than between the two. I'm not even sure which disc I'd start with if I had to enter a cross country route.

·
Registered
2006 STS N* 1SE
2,399 Posts
...Also, why did they break it up into US/Canada East and West discs?? Leave US on one and Canada on the other...I think there's more people traveling inside the countries than between the two. I'm not even sure which disc I'd start with if I had to enter a cross country route.
The split discs let them load more businesses into the disc. So if you're looking to set a destination by business name (tourist attraction, anything other than street address), you must have the disc loaded that covers the target region.

Otherwise, keep the disc loaded that matches your current physical region so you're always ready to find a local attraction or business.

Street addresses for the whole country are 'known' by both CDs. So you can be in New York with the East disc loaded, enter a street address in Phoenix, and it will build the route. It just won't tell you about any gas stations in Phoenix until you change discs.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 v8
163 Posts
does anyone know what topic to look under for the navigation cheat sheets that someone was kind enough to create? Thanks Kath

·
Registered
2011 EXT Premium & 2006 STS4
212 Posts
Thanx for posting the link MacMuse! I knew I had found those manuals, but for the life of me, I couldn't find them today. I printed the STS cheat sheet in a smaller size, laminated it, and created a little "Flip style" notebook that fit nicely in my driver's side door pocket. Every now and then I still need to refer to it. I also printed the complete nav manual, and put the most important pages at the front of the stack. These are kept in the pocket behind the front passenger seat so I can easily pull it out if needed. I have found the voice controls to be quite helpful now that I know what to say.

·
Registered
Cadillac
458 Posts
STS system works fine. Only thing I wish it had was traffic. I've only had false streets in one area, Winchester, CA by Temecula. Guides me down streets never built. Never had any mapping issues in any other areas though. Its easy to enter an address, and if u r looking up a business it's great how it has the phone number with it and all you have to do it press the call button to get connected if your phone is hooked up to the bluetooth.

·
Registered
2006 STS
49 Posts
I agree with notso1951. I had a Garmin before I bought the used 2006 STS with Navigation. It is a pain to use. They put in so many options and bells and whistles that its primary function is lost. Our daughter bought us the Garmin for Christmas a few years ago and we used it successfully that night. The Cadillac system is far from intuitive. If you buy a new CD for the Caddy, is it better?

STS guy

21 - 40 of 44 Posts