Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GAS GAS GAS GAS GAS.

i hate Gas Prices. . . . with a passion!!!!

Commuting from home to school and work and back home and im spending over 150 a week just on gas. its ridiculous. im only a college student and gas is killing me. my car, she only likes to drink Shell and i dont blame her, i think its the best gas and gives her the best milage. V-Power! haha

San Jose, Norcal, California : Shell $3.19 Premium

So how much are gas prices in your area???

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
5,074 Posts
IHIeiniken said:
GAS GAS GAS GAS GAS.

Commuting from home to school and work and back home and im spending over 150 a week just on gas. its ridiculous. im only a college student and gas is killing me. my car, she only likes to drink Shell and i dont blame her, i think its the best gas and gives her the best milage. V-Power! haha

Same :( I am in the Bay Area, CA. It really sucks...:banghead:

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
Yo Heiniken:

$6.25 a gallon for premium over here dude! And that's not even V-power! I know what you feel. I hope you feel better now...

·
Registered
466 Posts
:bonkers: Gas prices have come down farther and quicker than I would have thought. Prices in central Virginia are below $2.50 in some areas. That's down from $3.19 three weeks ago. I have a diesel NewBeetle that gets great fuel mileage. Diesel is selling for almost $.50 ($2.99) more than regular.

·
Registered
'99 De Ville, '05 CTS-V
535 Posts
When I was in college gas was .$25 - $.30 a gallon. Good news, right? But guess what ....... I was earning about $1.50 an hour and a decent new car cost less than $2,000.00! My first new home cost me $16,500. Now I know I'm older than most of you, but I'm not that old to remember how fast our standard of living has improved.

I don't want to preach, but, let's face it, we in this country have become spoiled. People think nothing of spending $25,000 - $40,000 on a new car or $300,000+ on a new home and go out to dinner 3 or 4 times a week. They will bi*!ch about the cost of gasoline and then go out and buy a gas-guzzling "muscle car"(and that includes me) or a big SUV.

It's all relative, guys. I know my standard of living today is far better than it was 35 - 40 years ago and, relative to wages being earned today, gas is still cheaper than it was then.

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
1,640 Posts
When I got my license, gas averaged around $0.85/gal. I would refuse to go anywhere that charged more than a dollar! Back a few weeks right after that Katrina hysteria (i'm refering to the gas gouging, not belittling the plight of those who were suffering down in Louisiana), prices jumped into the high $3 range for regular! I know a lot of people cancelled their Labor Day weekend plans, I said screw it, I'm going anyways. The second I crossed into OH prices dropped by $1/gal and when I reached WV they were down to the mid $2 range. Now I think I'm paying an average of about $2.75 or so. Sure it ticks me off, but I know the guys in Canada and Europe are paying a hella lot more than me so I cant complain too much.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes, gas prices are higher than in the past but still cheap compared to world standards. Also, it's hard to feel sorry for a college student who drives a CTS and likes to splurge on premium unleaded. If you are really having a hard time, perhaps you should drive something more fuel efficient. I don't mean to come off as harsh but your post makes it hard to be sympathetic. Thanks, Mike.

·
Registered
2004 Customized black on tan 3.6L CTS
5,147 Posts
2.45 for 91 octane in des moines iowa!! last week i went to Cedar Falls for UNI's homecoming. I stopped at some podunk gas staion and their 91 was 3.05 while the 89 was 2.50. I asked if it was a mistake and the clerk said no. Obvious gouging since they were the only station for miles!

·
Registered
1994 Sedan Deville
2,146 Posts
Gas here is 2.29-2.35 for Premium at some stations. Other stations it is still at 2.60-2.65 range. TwinCities, MN.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
IHIeiniken said:
$2.89 - Chevron 87 - Los Angeles. I was in Oakland and San Fran yesterday and prices seemed about the same as in LA
Also, my firm recently increased the mileage reimbursement to accomodate for the increase in gas prices to about 48 cents a mile....

·
Registered
2006 STS-V
819 Posts
pjohnesq said:
Also, my firm recently increased the mileage reimbursement to accomodate for the increase in gas prices to about 48 cents a mile....
Not just your firm PJ.....its good for everybody.....and to think, until I saw this last week, I was still charging my clients something like 30 cents per mile.....

IRS Increases Mileage Rate Until Dec. 31, 2005

IR-2005-99, Sept. 9, 2005
WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service and Treasury Department announced today an increase to the optional standard mileage rates for the final four months of 2005.
The rate will increase to 48.5 cents a mile for all business miles driven between Sept. 1 and Dec. 31, 2005. This is an increase of 8 cents from the 40.5 cent rate in effect for the first eight months of 2005, as set forth in Rev. Proc. 2004-64.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
thefred said:
Not just your firm PJ.....its good for everybody.....and to think, until I saw this last week, I was still charging my clients something like 30 cents per mile.....

IRS Increases Mileage Rate Until Dec. 31, 2005

IR-2005-99, Sept. 9, 2005
WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service and Treasury Department announced today an increase to the optional standard mileage rates for the final four months of 2005.
The rate will increase to 48.5 cents a mile for all business miles driven between Sept. 1 and Dec. 31, 2005. This is an increase of 8 cents from the 40.5 cent rate in effect for the first eight months of 2005, as set forth in Rev. Proc. 2004-64.
. . .30 cents????...Fred, you are cheating yourself Dude....it also applies retroactively, so you can actually re-submit for past expenses or just claim it on your tax return next year...

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
i can't remember when it was .30 a mile. back 2-3 years ago it might have been, but at the beginning of this summer it went up to 37.5 cents, now that it's 48 cents it's a little easier to pick up and go for the company. i was breaking even but now i am making a little on it...at 2.50 -3.00/gallon 30 cents wouldn't cut it...

·
Registered
2006 STS-V
819 Posts
pjohnesq said:
. . .30 cents????...Fred, you are cheating yourself Dude....it also applies retroactively, so you can actually re-submit for past expenses or just claim it on your tax return next year...
add another .2 hours here or there....it'll all come out in the wash.....

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
2,449 Posts
IHIeiniken said:
GAS GAS GAS GAS GAS.

Sorry dude, not trying to flame.
That being said, you're complaing about gas prices and youre an 18 yr. old driving a practically new Caddy? I know you're not REALLY complaining, but...
When I was 18, there were 2 M-Benzs in the garage (E430 4matik and an SLK 320), a Ford Eddie Bauer Expedition, a Chev 3500HD, an Acura CL, a Mustang with Saleen goodies, a '58 Corvette, and a Honda Accord (mine). The CL was my sister's. Not once did I get to drive the other cars, and I thought that was ridiculous. REally didn't see how lucky I was. And I didn't even get to drive them! My accord was a rust-bucket, by the way. All work that needed to be done, was by myself and my father. Still consider myself lucky to grow up with a little cash.
I wouldn't complain about the gas prices to anyone of your friends...unless they're all rich as well...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
To those who are trying to despise me or saying im spoiled or whatever because i drive a CTS. i really dont appreciate those who talk down on me cause im 18 and own a Caddy. Yes, i just graduated from HS and i drive a CTS. But i have a job and worked my ass off for this car. some of you guys act like my parents are throwing money in my face and im complaining about it. I WORKED FOR THIS CAR.

to Micheal S
- i "splurge" on premium cause ive read its better to use high quality gas and high octane in a new vehicle, it supposedly helps assist in my car's life. i try to take good care of my car since it is a costly asset and if premium makes it last longer, then thats what ill use.

to AznPride
- i never once complained about how unlucky i am and that i have little cash. you have no right calling me spoiled or inconsiderate of what i have. i know what i have and i worked my ass off for it. im not rich and dont live in a gold mansion. if i was why wouldnt be complaining about the price of fuel.

And if you READ the thread. IM not the only one complaining about gas prices...
But for some reason, someone just had to pick on me.

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
IHIeiniken said:
To those who are trying to despise me or saying im spoiled or whatever because i drive a CTS. i really dont appreciate those who talk down on me cause im 18 and own a Caddy. Yes, i just graduated from HS and i drive a CTS. But i have a job and worked my ass off for this car. some of you guys act like my parents are throwing money in my face and im complaining about it. I WORKED FOR THIS CAR.

to Micheal S
- i "splurge" on premium cause ive read its better to use high quality gas and high octane in a new vehicle, it supposedly helps assist in my car's life. i try to take good care of my car since it is a costly asset and if premium makes it last longer, then thats what ill use.

to AznPride
- i never once complained about how unlucky i am and that i have little cash. you have no right calling me spoiled or inconsiderate of what i have. i know what i have and i worked my ass off for it. im not rich and dont live in a gold mansion. if i was why wouldnt be complaining about the price of fuel.

And if you READ the thread. IM not the only one complaining about gas prices...
But for some reason, someone just had to pick on me.

I know how you feel. This CTS is actually my first (practically) new car ever! I had crappy jobs too and grew with little cash and for a long long time without a car. I dropped out of flight academy leaving me with a hughe dept and there were no jobs around for me, even though I have a BSc degree... Now, finally I got this great job and I can affort a new car. So this CTS is my GREAT pride!!!:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts