Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife for whatever reason still watches MTV from time to time, especially when there's nothing else on the television. It may be that she works with teenagers and maybe likes to keep in touch with the youngsters. Right... or it could be that she refuses to accept that she is in fact, one of those "30-something" women and tries to hold on to as much of her youth as possible... but whatever.

Anyway... I came downstairs this morning and she had MTV on. I figured she was watching one of those countless, stupid, teenage reali-dramas that the network has gotten so well at littering the airwaves with. I'll admit that when the show first came on back in the early 90s I used to watch every now and then since it was at the time a pretty unique concept. During that time the cast members were always around my age, sometimes a little younger, sometimes a little older, but I could usually relate nonetheless. But I haven't actually watched more than two minutes of the show in probably a decade or so.

So needless to say I was shocked to find out that this show filled with a bunch of whiney little tweenie-boppers was in fact The Real World. I mean really shocked. I guess these kids couldn't have been more than 20 years old, but they look like they had just graduated from sippy-cups. Really, really, really shocked - juice boxes and The Real World just don't go together.

I know the show has always been a bit melodramatic, but is this really how some 18-21 year olds act these days? I hope to God that for the most part, kids don't actually relate to this kind of stuff. If so I've become really unsettled about the future of this country.

So really what I have learned from the reality of the Real World is that I'm really... well... old. :eek: :bigroll: :yawn:

X

·
0 Posts
These same young mindless idiots pile into internet sites and have a "well informed" opinion on life/politics,local and world wide/sex and how "my" kids should see it/everyone a master at revisionist history/theology/you name it...oh ya, and they vote too.

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts
My wife watches the same garbage. I call them "pretty/dumb" people. Every other word is "like" from their mouths. "Like, if Tiffany, like, talks to , like, my boyfriend, like, one more time, like, I'm gonna, like, totally, like, beat her up. Totally!"

If you watch with the mute button on these shows aren't quite as bad. :sneaky: Otherwise they have no redeemable entertainment value IMHO.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
You mean they're still airing the Real World?

Hell, if I want the "real world", I'll go to work, stand around for ten and a half hours, and get more than my fair share of shit shoveled on me, from both employees and customers.

X

·
0 Posts
what else are they going to air? music vids...that got old 20 years ago. All one needs to do is watch MTV to see the vacuum of intelligence they are pandering to. Miss teen from SC is a perfect example...Like my teachers like never said anything like about like maps and stuff. Like historeee? Like ya uh. Like back when like there was no cell phones...like ya. That was like hard. Hee hee I said hard hee hee. I want to like give a shout out to like my girls on the prep squad. Like Hi guys. Well like i gotta go like I'm going shopping with my g/f's with one of my mom's credit cards she got for meee. Like there's this like way crunk like sick bling set of sparkles I wanna get for one of my like cell phones. Then like we are gonna go like vote so like the republicans don't like kill all the like rainforests in like South Africa Somewhere?...

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Don't count the kids out so quickly based solely on what you see on this microcosm of stupidity (and you are watching after all right?)

I havent watched mtv with any regularity since 1995. MTV is desperately trying to grapple with the fact that most youngsters these days are strangely without any prodding going back to more traditional values even as it relates to subject as rebellious as sex and drinking. I was never ever into drugs or drinkng but i was pretty promiscuous there for a while after high school and im paying the price for it now, in many ways. That was partly to blame on the extremely chaste christian school i grew up in and was bursting at the sems to get out of, and partly my own stupidity. Either way I quickly learned that what you see on television is no barometer of reality, be it MTV or Fox News.. Alot of kids these days are smarter than their forebears and mtv is stuck hopelessly in 1999 trying to lure the dumb ones back. They've actually got a bisexual dating show coming out soon if that gives you any clue. :rolleyes:

X

·
0 Posts
No I don't watch actually. I hardly get to see TV right now. for me It's history channel/discovery channel/military channel/MXC/Ninja challenge etc...

Now when I travelled all over hell and back with pro ball I was the childish idiot pranking everyone...funny.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Yeah, the cable channels I watch most frequently are:
Discovery
History
Comedy Central
Military
VH1 Classic

I don't watch much tv, I'd much rather be doing something interactive (get ur head outta the gutter!).

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well.. I don't think catching ten minutes of the show necessarily counts as watching it. If I actually have the television on it's usually on C-Span, or CNN, or possibly a History/National Geo./Discovery, etc.. though I will watch a few of the Thursday night NBC comedies.

But really, I'd love to know how you came about your optimistic view of today's youth, other than it being a general contradiction to mine and other's sentiments.

I have nothing to say about any of their "questionable" activities as I personally feel if you're of legal age, pay your taxes, and don't harm anybody, then you, as an American should be able to do whatever you want. But to say that those who are in their teens and twenties are, in general smarter than my generation and those who came before me is a bit of a stretch.

First of all intelligence is only worth something when it's accompanied by common sense, and there's less and less of that around these days. Secondly we are seeing the first generations of kids being raised by the original "Me too, gotta have it, gotta have it right now" generation of parents who themselves rarely ever went without. There's almost this expectation of entitlement with these kids which leads to a serious lack of motivation - motivation to work, motivation to move out, motivation to better one's self, motivation to gain an education, motivation to help someone other than themselves. But then again how can they help someone else when they constantly expect others to help them?

While my parents certainly didn't let me go without, they also certainly didn't give me everything and anything that I wanted. Why? It's not because they were mean or didn't love me or didn't have the means to give, but because they weren't brought up by parents who gave them everything either. I got my first job when I was 15, I bought my own car, I bought my first personal computer, I paid for college myself, I started with a Sears credit card and lived in an apartment for two years in order to build up enough credit and save enough money to buy my house, I never asked anyone to bail me out when I got in any kind of trouble, pretty much because I knew never to get myself in any kind of trouble. I would buy things when I could and I would go without when I couldn't.

But when an entire generation is given everything, due in no small part to a lot of their parents having been given everything it leads to a total lack of motivation and responsibility. It leads to this mindset of instant gratification.

Sure there are still some genuinely good apples out there but I don't think they are the majority. Yes, I may agree that the smart ones may indeed be getting smarter but that doesn't necessarily translate to the entire age-group. The fact remains that test scores are down, college enrollments for sciences-mathimatical/engineering/computer/medical are all down, graduation rates are either stagnant or falling for the first time in years. But there just isn't much motivation to strive. "Why get good grades? Why go to college? Why get a good job to buy myself a house and car? I already have those things..."

Then there's financial responsibility, how can we expect the generation who have saved the least and racked up the most amount of debt to set a good example to these kids. Bankruptcies are up, foreclosures are up, interest rates are up. All a direct result from the need for "instant gratification," and it's only going to get worse.

How is it at all good when a lot of these teenagers and young "adults" can name who's playing on the radio more than they can their own elected officials, let alone other people's elected officials. Or what about these same young "adults" who have voted for American Idol more than they have in actual elections.

Between us, my wife and I have 8 nieces and nephews, we love them to death but God help them there's only a single truly smart one out of the entire bunch. I mean, some of these are teenagers who can ramble on endless cheat codes for video games or can recite every line from Napoleon Dynamite, and yet would be hard pressed to name five state capitols or even do simple math without a calculator. It also doesn't bode well when 70% of their sentences are filled with slang tied together with piss poor grammar.

Furthermore we both work with teenagers all day long and it's more of the same. Unfortunately the dense one's greatly outnumber the bright ones. So my worries are based not only on anecdotal evidence, but by first hand accounts.

All in all I don't think that it's that great of a stretch to extrapolate the hypothesis that if I could relate to those on a show like the Real World back in 1992, then many of those in the same age group can relate to the dramatic twits and dimwits on the same show today.

I don't think any of what I've said is the given rule now, just the trend.

I'll be the first to admit that there still seems to be some very nice, smart, hardworking kids out there today. Just on this site alone I think there are some who are indicative of that exception to the trend - Chad is a perfect example of that. But on the other end of things, again just on this site alone, there may be some who I believe are representative of that trend, despite the fact they may think they know everything. I'm not saying that's a fact, but just a possibility.

I never expect everyone to agree with me, although I tend to think there may be a few that do.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
^ This man is quite possibly the smartest man in the lounge.

How old are you? I thought you were like 27 or somewhere in that area?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^ This man is quite possibly the smartest man in the lounge.

How old are you? I thought you were like 27 or somewhere in that area?
Hardly the smartest... maybe one of the more observant, but definitely not the smartest.

Once upon a time... add about seven to that. Age is relative though, let's just say that I'm too old to think I know everything and too young to keep my mouth shut all the time.

Just don't tell anybody :shhh:

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,408 Posts
I was never ever into drugs or drinkng but i was pretty promiscuous there for a while after high school and im paying the price for it now, in many ways.
Remember, I called dibs on your stuff. Hell, I'm already halfway there.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
I think part of the problem is we might be talking about two entirely different age groups. What I call "young people" are those who fall into the 18-22 category. And by and large the majority of the people in that age group I talk to and deal with on a daily basis are actually pretty stand-up individuals like Chad and Rick, and several who I work with at my place of employment. As far as the younger ones, the only thing I can go by is statistics, that I keep a pretty close eye on just based on the fact that I listen to and watch news and events all day til my eyes are red and my ears are bleeding. And like them or hate them, statistics have some factual basis. And right now the rate of illicit and recreational drug use, teen pregnancies, and suicide rates are decreasing at a pretty regular rate.

Now, I won't disagree that the majority of the teenie boppers out there that were spoon-fed from day one are complete wastes of skin. I find it ironic that the ones that are prodded and pushed through top schools and universities, often come out the most psychologically screwed up and downright stupid as a pile of bricks. There are plenty of them out there who worked hard to get into their schools of choice and aren't all bad though.

Times change and people change I guess, for those of us who had to pull our own weight to get where we are, the contrast in some of what is out there is pretty stark, I won't argue that point at all.

And there isn't a damn thing wrong with presenting a contrarian point of view. I usually jump in whenever I feel that any one group is being labeled and people are going off the deep end chastising their every move. I hate seein' em at the mall too (the skirts are enough to cause a heart attack for a big boy like me), In fact I downright despise their little cliques whenever I see them, but I don't think they are worthless by any stretch.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your posts are too god damn long. I don't read them anymore. Are you Rick's older brother?
Amen brother. Summarize!
I'm suddenly heartbroken and despondent...

Feel free to skim through as much as you like or by all means skip them all together, but I don't summarize. I'm a cranky, long-winded bastard... always have been, always will.

Sheesh.. you think these posts are long? You never had to read my master's thesis.

Word of warning, you may want to avoid my review of the Seville then..

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
You have some truly intelligent insight, was not knocking that at ALL. With posts that long though I start stacking up so many counterpoints (when needed) I forget half of them by the time I'm ready to type the first letter.

But your style is your style, post on!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts