Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
03, 3.2L CTS-SC
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats going on guys once again its time to have another turn on the hamster wheel. Does the 3.2 heads , and 3.6 heads share the same bottom end... Next would it be possible to modify 3.6 heads to a 3.2L block ?? anyone ? anyone?

I think they share the same block can anyone shine in with knowledge on this subject?

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,974 Posts
There is absolutely nothing in common between the two motors. The 3.2L is a hopeless lump. All you can do for it is two aspirins and lots of rest.

·
Registered
04 cadillac cts v
5,585 Posts
There is absolutely nothing in common between the two motors. The 3.2L is a hopeless lump. All you can do for it is two aspirins and lots of rest.
yeah but we got 3 3.2's that will destroy your 3.6's. My car is high milage and runs like a new car. So Koz once again you and your OPINIONS suck butt

·
Registered
04 cadillac cts v
5,585 Posts

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Actually they do have 2 things in common.
1. They both run on gasoline
2. The wiring is made out of copper

That is where the similarities end.
Swapping out a 3.2 for a 3.6 would be bord4ering on insane to say the least. It would be much easier and cheaper to find a car with a 3.6 in it and just buy it.
The wiring is different, the controllers are different and depending on the year the communications protocols are even different.

Not sure why you guys are bangin' on Koz for telling the truth.
As for which one goes faster.... well that is a matter of personal taste.
Me, I don't care how fast I get to the grocery store as long as my car starts and gets me there and back safely.

·
Registered
03, 3.2L CTS-SC
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually they do have 2 things in common.
1. They both run on gasoline
2. The wiring is made out of copper

That is where the similarities end.
Swapping out a 3.2 for a 3.6 would be bord4ering on insane to say the least. It would be much easier and cheaper to find a car with a 3.6 in it and just buy it.
The wiring is different, the controllers are different and depending on the year the communications protocols are even different.

Not sure why you guys are bangin' on Koz for telling the truth.
As for which one goes faster.... well that is a matter of personal taste.
Me, I don't care how fast I get to the grocery store as long as my car starts and gets me there and back safely.
Thanks alot guys for the info should of read a little more. koz even though it might not be something people want to here he does make good points, as well as Robert.
Now my question would be i have access to a 3.6 donar car, but cannot drive it cause its total. the car is pretty much still intact with theexception of a gapping hole past the driver , and passanger seat. Is a swap fesable? I know ill need Ecu, harness , engine.
What about the tranny , fuel system, also the mounts? I know i could just buy a 3.6 ,and start fresh,but thats no fun.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Thanks alot guys for the info should of read a little more. koz even though it might not be something people want to here he does make good points, as well as Robert.
Now my question would be i have access to a 3.6 donar car, but cannot drive it cause its total. the car is pretty much still intact with theexception of a gapping hole past the driver , and passanger seat. Is a swap fesable? I know ill need Ecu, harness , engine.
What about the tranny , fuel system, also the mounts? I know i could just buy a 3.6 ,and start fresh,but thats no fun.
FYI a Tech I know says the 3.6 can easily be opened up to 4.0 liters with sleeves and crank changes. Should be easy when it's out of the car. The electronics would scare me off. Ewill would know far more than me on that.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,974 Posts
The only logical way to do the swap is to have the patient and the donor side by side in the shop and start in. It sounds simple but I'll bet it gets so far out of hand so quick it'll make your head spin.

·
Registered
03, 3.2L CTS-SC
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The only logical way to do the swap is to have the patient and the donor side by side in the shop and start in. It sounds simple but I'll bet it gets so far out of hand so quick it'll make your head spin.
It probably would be difficult but dont underestimate anyone. I've done custom jobs before, before they came out with a bolt on kit for the 5.0 focus, A couple of friends , and I installed a 460 in a focus, and it still had everything working properly. Might take time , but I'm in no rush.

Robert That was another idea of mine taking the 3.2l i have ,and seeing if i can find some custom crankshafts pistons etc ,and try to stroke it out , or at least a nice port ,and polish job to the upper intake , lower intake, and the intake valves on the head.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I doubt that swap would be much fun either.
You have to remember that GM makes changes in groups.
That is my made up term. Every once in a while they will sneak in a whole bunch of changes lumped into one year.
Sometimes the body changes, sometimes it doesn't.
You have to remember that the 3.2 is basically an overgrown Catera engine and that is based on a '07 model year vehicle.
The 3.6 was a new engine for '04 if memory serves.
I know that engine has a new ECM that wouldn't know what to do with a 3.2
That alone means engine, harness, and transmission swap.
The '04 got a new shifter I believe, that also has unique features compared to the '03. (tap shifter)
Not to mention the controllers all work together to control the entire vehicle.
Taking the ECM out of a new car and putting it in an old one might result in massive communication problems and system failures that would take doing it to determine.
It is not like doing an engine swap on an old Camaro. The cars today have really integrated electronic systems that depend on data from eachother for proper operation.
I can only imagine the can of worms that you would be opening if you tried doing that.
My only thought is "scary"!

If you do it, be sure to take pictures and document the (what I am sure will be) horror so we can all know what it took.
;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts