Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
03 escalade
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone succesfully installed a 2004 factory Nav unit into a base 2002 Deville?

I'm having issues. Not sure what's going on- installing a 2004 unit into my 2002 Deville. Had dealer remove stock stereo and install new dvd/navigation unit. No wiring modifications, just plug and play.
Now, the GPS signal is weak and intermittant, hardly ever get a signal. Also, it looks like a fuse blew? ..just noticed the steering wheel lights (volume and cruise control buttonsa) are out. IS this related?
Has anyone done this???
Help!!!
Please share!!!
Thanks,
~Ben

·
Registered
03 escalade
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the antenna is the problem.... Looking for one with a longer cord.

Surprised not one response from someone who has added nav...

·
Registered
2003 DTS
143 Posts
Swine said:
I think the antenna is the problem.... Looking for one with a longer cord.

Surprised not one response from someone who has added nav...
Well I added a Kenwood nav to my '03 DTS which works fine but since yours is a factory unit its apples and oranges. But since you said the steering wheel lights went out I would think its related to the electrical system

·
Registered
03 escalade
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
upstate said:
Didn't think you could put one in a car that did not come factory.
Why not? I've seen multiple posts on CTS's, ESC, SRX's, and Sevilles that have pulled it off.

Is there something about the Deville?

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
3,963 Posts
You may have to get access to both factory service manuals and compare the wiring on the connectors for both.

I had to do that when I put my '01 DTS back together. I used a 2000 DTS dash wiring harness with 2001 parts. All the connectors were the same and in the right place, but when I plugged it in the instrument panel went crazy, the radio didn't work, etc. Some pins had changed places between the years. Same thing with the door module. The '01 has wires where the '00 didn't.

Jim

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought a factory unit from a 04 Seville and had the dealer install it in my 02 Deville. They had to make some mods to the antenna, but they ended up getting it working. Afterwards, a couple of days to be exact, I noticed that I no longer had climate control and steering wheel lights. I replaced minifuse 13 under the rear seat, which was blown, and all is normal again.

·
Registered
03 escalade
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
rappaport said:
I bought a factory unit from a 04 Seville and had the dealer install it in my 02 Deville. They had to make some mods to the antenna, but they ended up getting it working. Afterwards, a couple of days to be exact, I noticed that I no longer had climate control and steering wheel lights. I replaced minifuse 13 under the rear seat, which was blown, and all is normal again.
Thanks for the reply:cheers:

I've had very similar experience. I had to buy an antennae with a longer lead to get a good signal, and my #13 fuse blew as well. However, I had an additional problem. The arrow only pointed EAST, no matter the direction I was heading:cookoo:

I sent it back... But now I'm considering having them send me another unit... If yours works, no reason mine shouldn't, right?:hmm:

I was afraid replacing the fuse would just lead to another blown fuse, but if yours is holding, I think I may give it another shot!:brutal:

Thanks for the feedback... Couple more quick questions:

Did you buy yours from Ebay? Schramm auto parts?
What radio was in there before the Nav unit? Do you also have a 6 disk changer?

Thanks!!!!!

~Swine

·
Registered
17 Posts
yeah, I bought it from Schrams and I originally had a base single CD unit in there..regarding the fuse, you have to up the amps...10 will not hold it..I put in a 20amp.

The dealer did have some difficulty putting the unit in...apparently, and I didn't get the whole story, but to do it right would have required changing out the harness at over $1300. The tech mounted the antenna to the right/center of the dash and got it to work. They had the car for 3 days because a part they ordered ended up not working or not fitting, not sure, but I think it was an antenna mount..they didn't bill me for the wasted time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would just like to let every one know that I have finilly cracked this thing. Yes everything does work! send me a e-mail at [email protected] and I will send you detailed instructions. Your car must have factory Bose or you cant install the nav radio. Mike.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts