Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac SRX Luxury (AWD)
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm waiting for the parts to come in today and I wanted to ask you guys if there was anything that I should know before going through with this replacement. I got the Raybestos Element 3 hose for the front (both sides). Upon inspecting the wheel well last night, there were some carpeting to remove to get to the point where the brake hose meets the brake line.. Are there any tips on removing this? I've seen several videos on YouTube about replacing the brake hose but I feel like this one will be far more difficult to remove as the hose is facing towards the engine where I believe it will be challenging to remove both the hose clip and to unscrew it from the brake line.
Any input is appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,239 Posts
I looked at my alldatadiy.com subscription and it looked straightforward. I guess I don't understand the "carpet" comment.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,239 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: I just received my Raybestos Element 3 Hydraulic hoses (For some reason the branding on the hose says it's Sunsong?)... They didn't come with the banjo bolt gaskets.. Do you guys think it's a good idea to reuse the one on the brakes right now? I'm lost now because I don't know where I can find the banjo bolt gaskets..

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
9,852 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes! Thank you for this! This is exactly the ones that I've been looking for. I thought that these washers would come with the purchase of the hoses but I guess not... I only need the gaskets, right? I don't need to replace the banjo bolt?
Is it okay to use just standard copper washers that I can get from Home Depot? Or is this one specifically designed for automobiles?
Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
I think the banjo bolts would be OK to reuse, although they are fairly inexpensive and can be sourced along with the washers at your local auto parts store or through the link I provided earlier.

If it were my car, I would replace the washers.

·
Registered
15,239 Posts

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
Are those like (the infamous) "O-ring" lol?!
Ha!

I've never had one of those washers fail, but they are copper and easily misshapen.
I would put them in the same category as a reused O-ring.

·
Registered
15,239 Posts
I used to reuse my copper washer with my oil pan drain plug in my MGB. It made zero difference because it was a British sports car and it was going to leak oil no matter how hard you tried to tighten everything!

·
Registered
2012 OBM Premium RWD Coupe, Touring package
103 Posts
The banjo copper washers get pretty crushed when torqued to spec, that's what makes the seal. When I did the Brembo caliper swap, all 4 banjos had the copper washers so crushed that they wouldn't slide off the banjo bolt, all 8 washers had to be unscrewed off with 2 pairs of pliers, while DOT fluid poured out.

Get new crush washers, 2 per banjo bolt.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks! I will probably grab some copper washers tonight or tomorrow morning... I live in the Richmond Hill area, do you happen to know any good auto parts stores here? Or can I just get copper washers from Home Depot with same dimensions and will that be fine as well?
Cheers

·
Registered
15,239 Posts
Anywhere convenient. Or possibly Ace Hardware. I've used them for lots of hardware. Call first. And Google is your friend.

Reactions: hyunwoo217

·
Registered
'09 CTS DI FE1 Luxury
1,493 Posts
Thanks! I will probably grab some copper washers tonight or tomorrow morning... I live in the Richmond Hill area, do you happen to know any good auto parts stores here? Or can I just get copper washers from Home Depot with same dimensions and will that be fine as well?
Cheers
Get the right banjo washers from any auto parts store. Generic "copper" washers from home depot could be a much harder copper alloy that might not create a proper seal. Just be sure that they are for hydraulic fittings.

Reactions: HurstGN and tinman

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello everyone! I'm back haha
Okay so last night I have tried to unscrew the brake hose from the brake line and it was seized. I've spent probably over an hour trying to unscrew it by using gentle force and penetrating lubricant but that didn't work either and I had fears of bending and messing up the brake line itself so I didn't want to put too much pressure onto it. To add to this, I have mistakenly took off the brake hose retaining clip FIRST before doing all of this and I was not able to clip it back in. I have some pictures that I have taken from last night and I was wondering where I should go from here. Somebody had mentioned that I should hold the brake line with a wrench and twist the hose to unscrew the two together.. What do you guys think?
Thanks a lot :)
https://imgur.com/a/bVeeFB3

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
1,794 Posts
From what I see is years of bad weather deteriorated the two metals and fussed them together. So the first thing you need is a good soaking of rust remover like blaster. First take a wire brush to the brake line fitting and remove as much rust as you can then spray it with blaster read the directions on the can for how long to soak and respray. Do you have the correct size flare nut wrenches? a flare nut wrench is like a box end wrench with a cut away so it will fit over the line. if not get them. Now after the soaking in blaster you will need two hammers. On the fitting just below where you see the threads on the fitting hold one bigger hammer against one side and with the other hammer hit the fitting base a couple of times. This will loosen the rust some. Now with the two flare nut wenches loosen the fitting.
as we say in Las Vegas good luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update: WOOOO!! Finally got that hose off of the line. Replaced it with the Raybestos last night. Bled the brake and whatnot... I can definitely feel the wheel moving now with my hand but I can hear a grinding noise.. I guess that's the wheel bearing going bad (considering it probably overheated from the rotor).. I just wanted to drop by and say thanks to everyone who has helped me out. This was the first time I have ever worked on a car and it probably saved me $200.
Cheers!

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,376 Posts
You probably saved more. Labor costs aren't cheap anymore. Glad to see it worked out for you. Feel free to hang around and have some fun. Sarcasm reigns supreme here when we don't have to be serious about serious topics.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yikes, I'm back.. Just when I thought I was done.. Installed the wheel and everything. Fired up the car and checked the feel of the brake pedal. It felt spongy, so, for sure I knew something was wrong here. I decided to check the rims and I could see little amount of brake fluid on the rim. No test drive for me today! It seems like the culprit here is a leaky banjo bolt, but I have no idea what might have caused it considering I have used new copper washers and torqued the banjo bolt to 36 lb/ft.
What do you guys think? Thanks a lot :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts