Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a leaky left shock in the rear. I have the same CVRSS suspension that the STS has...there is the 2001 STS being parted out. Should I get the rear shocks from that? Is this a good idea, bad idea?

The STS had 75,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
I'm sure they wouldn't be any worse than what you have now. If you can get them at a decent price, it might be worth it, at least to get functional air working again.

Edit: Oh wait, STS shocks won't work the same as your SLS shocks. They may both be CV-RSS, but the STS shocks are valved differently. I don't think you'd be happy with the result. What is the condition of the headlight housings on that STS, if they are still there?

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies. I wasn't aware that the STS valves were different. I'll check ebay with the part numbers. I had a dealer from Texas selling the front ones a while back. maybe they've got them for the rear.

I think someone asked about the headlights on the 2001 STS being parted out.

·
Registered
'97 Seville STS
162 Posts
jadcock do you know whether the different valving applies to earlier years such as 1997. I'm running a used shock from a '97 SLS on my '97 STS because I though the part numbers were the same.

Do you have info to indicate otherwise jadcock? I'm particularly intersted because my car occassionally feels like it's "fish-tailing" over some bumps; I though I needed an alignment, but in light of your post above, I'm beginning to wonder if I should double check part numbers.

iametarq I recently purchased CVRSS used shocks, and everything has gone well for me thus far (unless I screwed up the part numbers!) If you do a search on my user name in the suspension section (I think) you could fine more details about what I did.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm, gmpartsdirect lists the part numbers for the active suspension shocks at about $400 each. That is far less than what the front ones cost me. I will call gmotors.com tomorrow and ask them to confirm that I have the correct part numbers. I am moving in a about 10 days and would love to get this done before I move. I really don't want to spend $800 right now but I do not want to go passive. I plan on keeping this car for 200,000+ miles so I consider this a good investment.

·
Registered
'97 Seville STS
162 Posts
iametarq are you doing all 4 shocks, just the rears, or just the leaking shock? I believe the shocks on '97 Sevilles versus '98 and later Seviles are different, but a heads-up is that on the '97's, the front shocks are different on the STS versus SLS, while I thought the rears were the same. The situation may be similar in the '98+'s.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
iametarq are you doing all 4 shocks, just the rears, or just the leaking shock? I believe the shocks on '97 Sevilles versus '98 and later Seviles are different, but a heads-up is that on the '97's, the front shocks are different on the STS versus SLS, while I thought the rears were the same. The situation may be similar in the '98+'s.
If I do this, It will be both rears. I replaced the front shocks on my SLS two years ago. That was a $995 parts bill from the dealer on ebay after I confirmed with my dealer that the P/N's were correct. If/when I replace the rear shocks they will either be from gmotors.com, ebay, or used from somewhere...I'm leaning toward gmotors.com again.

·
Registered
1999 Black and Tan STS
753 Posts
I really needed 4 so I went the passive route to get it done sooner and all at once. Love the ride and now have unlimited choices for replacements because the Arnott chips are not connected to the shocks/struts. Think about that.. Maybe Bilstein or another aftermarket performance shock. Go the radio shack option on the wiring and have real performance shocks? I will if these wear out as I've added a few hundred miles a week to my commute.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Confirmed the part numbers on ebay...just found and bought OEM shocks for the rears. woo hoo! damn i've got a whole new suspension now! :) What little parts, bushings rubber things, should I also replace now?

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
These are the part numbers gmotors.com quoted me with by my VIN number. These are also the same part numbers I suspected I would have to get which the parts list I have posted in the tech tip section calls "with active suspension"

LEFT REAR SHOCK (22064782) - $500.40
RIGHT REAR SHOCK (22064783) - $500.40

I found both left and right on ebay for $840 shipped. Brand new in box.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Oops. No, they appear to be the same as long as they both have the 'active suspension' which of course the STS has. Not all SLS' have that. I am 'lucky' to have it.

This what the detailed description for the listing on ebay stated:

This is for the Seville, STS and SLS with the Soft ride suspension (FE1), Or Sport Suspension (FE3) and Chassis real time dampening (F45)
I have my listing of options at home, but I am 99% certain I have FE1 and F45 options on my SLS. Based on the earlier posts about the pre 97 Sevilles STS vs SLS having different valves...I cannot say either way. I would theorize that the 98+ SLS/STS with the above "F" options are the same part numbers I posted above no different valves.

·
Registered
'97 Seville STS
162 Posts
^^^ Well what I was saying was that I thought the parts were the same on SLS versus STS for '97 on the rear shocks (although I'm not 100% sure, more like 90%), but the fronts are different for FE1 versus FE3. I think the same applies for 98+ -- that the fronts are different FE1 versus FE3.

For the rears, check Napa-online or something, there are some gaskets you may want for the top of the rear shocks. (I bough the gaskets for shocks, ~$20.00).

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
^^^ Well what I was saying was that I thought the parts were the same on SLS versus STS for '97 on the rear shocks (although I'm not 100% sure, more like 90%), but the fronts are different for FE1 versus FE3. I think the same applies for 98+ -- that the fronts are different FE1 versus FE3.
I defer to wachuku on this because he/she has just gone through this. And I think I do remember that we decided that the rear shocks were the same (STS vs. SLS) and that the front struts were different (and not just spring rate).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts