Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How complicated is it to change the Tie Rod endings? Can a person with normal set of tools do it? the dealership wants to charge $130 for the labor alone, they don't look too complicated so i figured i'd ask before investing in the dealership.
Also, how hard is it to replace the Idler Arm? I also need that replaced, and I am quoted about $200 for that from the dealership.

·
Registered
Opel Omega
1,419 Posts
Well they are not the easiest thing to change but they will require some effort on your side and there is a good chance that after you put the new stuff on the alignment will be out of shot so you will have to do that again... But it will most certainly take a few hours of your time. i had an issue where the ball joint wouldnt come out and I had to pound on it but o i was able to get them out. The problem is the parts none of the local stores have em so you will have to go to the dealer and you know how they charge... parts alone should be something like 150$... if you get lucky.

·
Registered
Cadillac
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well they are not the easiest thing to change but they will require some effort on your side and there is a good chance that after you put the new stuff on the alignment will be out of shot so you will have to do that again... But it will most certainly take a few hours of your time. i had an issue where the ball joint wouldnt come out and I had to pound on it but o i was able to get them out. The problem is the parts none of the local stores have em so you will have to go to the dealer and you know how they charge... parts alone should be something like 150$... if you get lucky.
haha, you're right.
I am ordering the parts off Ebay, for both sides it's costing about $140 US, which is hell a lot cheaper than dealership that wants to charge $600 for the parts alone.
quick question, since you have done the replacement, were the tie-rods for year 2000+ revised at all or redesigned? reason why I ask is that I know a person that is selling the tie-rods that will fit 97-2001 (German made). And the part looks similar to the one from GM. However, looking at the pictures of tie-rods of 97-99 from GM's dealer, the part looks very different from 2000+.
I have a 2000 Catera.

·
Registered
Opel Omega
1,419 Posts
I know they are different but I couldn't really compare them cuz I got the ones for the 00-01 parts and they worked just fine.

BTW the category is under steering and linkages and then outer tie rod end.

·
Registered
Cadillac
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know they are different but I couldn't really compare them cuz I got the ones for the 00-01 parts and they worked just fine.

BTW the category is under steering and linkages and then outer tie rod end.
thanks!
what year is your's?

·
Registered
Cadillac
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 2001 Catera Sport (Platinum), all options except the power rear sun shade... and heated rear seats...
nice.
i wholeheartedly regret not buying the sport version, even though it was being sold for the same price at the time. the non-sport version had lower milage, so i figured i should stick with that for lesser issues.

·
Registered
Opel Omega
1,419 Posts
I got it when it had 59K on the clock and as of today some 8months later it has over 76K so i am not afraid of driving it.

Now I guess I have to replace the idler arm and the tie rod end on the driver side because they are loose and i can tell some shutter and play in the steering. So once I do that I will post some more pictures for you guys to see how its done.

·
Registered
Cadillac
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got it when it had 59K on the clock and as of today some 8months later it has over 76K so i am not afraid of driving it.

Now I guess I have to replace the idler arm and the tie rod end on the driver side because they are loose and i can tell some shutter and play in the steering. So once I do that I will post some more pictures for you guys to see how its done.
i've ordered the parts. 2 tie rod ends, and an idler arm.
i wanted to do the install myself, but i am thinking it'd be a better idea to involve the dealership for at least the idler arm - unless it is something super-easy.

·
Registered
Opel Omega
1,419 Posts
i've ordered the parts. 2 tie rod ends, and an idler arm.
i wanted to do the install myself, but i am thinking it'd be a better idea to involve the dealership for at least the idler arm - unless it is something super-easy.
Where did you get your parts from. i got the tie rod ends from ebay for a wopping price of 70$ for the pair which is about 50% cheaper then the dealer but so far no luck with the idler arm.

·
Registered
1997 Catera
172 Posts
I did the inner / outer tie rods and the idler arm. It was easy enough, breaking loose the old joints of the tie rod ends is the hardest part.

The idler arm comes with a shaft that mounts to the frame with two bolts. The shaft is separate (I think). If you use the new idler and shaft it is easy. My idler arm bushing was shot but the shaft was OK...I replaced it anyway since I bought it already.

Make sure the length of the replacement shafts match the old ones, if you replace inner / outer at the same time you just match the assemblies. Be sure to note the location of the 'concave'. It is the outer arm and it needs to be concave towards the spindle. If its not, or the ends are swapped, the rod end will drag inside the rim on very sharp turns (you will notice it when backing out of the driveway and cutting hard :thepan:

·
Registered
Cadillac
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where did you get your parts from. i got the tie rod ends from ebay for a wopping price of 70$ for the pair which is about 50% cheaper then the dealer but so far no luck with the idler arm.
The Idler Arm was purchased through ebay for $103.00 USD excluding freight (gm-delco-parts-direct - these guys have a ebay store, but they are in fact a Cadillac Dealership, haha.)
The pair of tie-rods, I also ended up buying them from ebay from midwestautoparts, they have charged me $60 USD for a pair. However, these parts are not genuine AC DECLO parts, they're from a German parts supplier. I am a bit skeptical about the pair, considering this seller initially thought that these tie rods would fit any year of the Catera.
Then later, after me pointing it out, he claimed that these parts are actually for 00-01 Omega.

·
Registered
Cadillac
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did the inner / outer tie rods and the idler arm. It was easy enough, breaking loose the old joints of the tie rod ends is the hardest part.

The idler arm comes with a shaft that mounts to the frame with two bolts. The shaft is separate (I think). If you use the new idler and shaft it is easy. My idler arm bushing was shot but the shaft was OK...I replaced it anyway since I bought it already.

Make sure the length of the replacement shafts match the old ones, if you replace inner / outer at the same time you just match the assemblies. Be sure to note the location of the 'concave'. It is the outer arm and it needs to be concave towards the spindle. If its not, or the ends are swapped, the rod end will drag inside the rim on very sharp turns (you will notice it when backing out of the driveway and cutting hard :thepan:
are you serious? is it really that easy?
the dealership wants to charge 2 hrs labor on the install.
bastards!

·
Registered
1997 Catera
172 Posts
heh...it took me less than 2 hours to do it wrong AND do it over! Guess the caddy mechanic a little slow and messes up a lot. Or...it could be greed.....

·
Registered
Cadillac
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
heh...it took me less than 2 hours to do it wrong AND do it over! Guess the caddy mechanic a little slow and messes up a lot. Or...it could be greed.....
haha, i suppose i'll give it a shot myself.
at least for the idler Arm, because you make that seems less complicated than the tie-rod ends.

·
Registered
1997 Catera
144 Posts
haha, i suppose i'll give it a shot myself.
at least for the idler Arm, because you make that seems less complicated than the tie-rod ends.
I did my outer tie rod, it was easy once I got the joint separated. Just make sure you either measure the depth, and or count how many turns it takes to remove.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts