Cadillac Owners Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Escalade ESV stock all well maintenanced
22 Posts
I been hearing that about driving in 3rd gear in city but would that really make any difference?

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
1,173 Posts
What common problem?

·
Registered
2004 ESV
852 Posts
Maybe if you are constantly shifting between 3rd and 4th in your commute, that could cause some wear on the transmission, due to heat. But it's probably minimal. If I were towing I would never use 4th.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok and Yaa I just mean in general or like extra additional things I can do or buy To keep my tranny good n differentials ,,
Overall Engine maintenance

·
Registered
2004 ESV
852 Posts
Flush the transmission fluid every 30k, and keep trans temps down. Most Escalades have the auxillary transmission cooler (the rectangle in front of the radiator in the front grille). But you could always upgrade to a larger cooler. Especially if you tow things on a regular basis, or put a lot of weight in the SUV.

·
Registered
2004 Escalade ESV
16 Posts
Mine blew up at about 50,000km. Rebuilt under warranty. Blew up again a few years later at about 150,000km. Spent $6500 to have it built 'bullet proof' (race spec). It lasted 3 months. Tranny builder replaced under warranty with a new tranny built to race spec, citing a possible crack in the valve body (may have been the original fault too). Done another 80,000km and its still rock solid. Love it.
These trannies are the 4L65E which is a bit marginal for this size vehicle and engine, but they can be rebuilt to super strong, if you spend the bucks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Flush the transmission fluid every 30k, and keep trans temps down. Most Escalades have the auxillary transmission cooler (the rectangle in front of the radiator in the front grille). But you could always upgrade to a larger cooler. Especially if you tow things on a regular basis, or put a lot of weight in the SUV.
Nicee appreciate it bro
Am about to to a drain/fill with my transmission
Only question is
At 120k I took it to shop to get it flushed well am about to hit my 200k mark n wanna do a drain/fill

only thing I wanna put royal purple atf and I know the shop didn’t put that stuff

so would it do any harm if I mix the brands on the fluids ?
Well i believe royal purple is synthetic

I plan on doing this at least 3 more times at 3k when oil change comes by, I’ll do them both at the same time drain/fill

i believe it’s 5 quarts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine blew up at about 50,000km. Rebuilt under warranty. Blew up again a few years later at about 150,000km. Spent $6500 to have it built 'bullet proof' (race spec). It lasted 3 months. Tranny builder replaced under warranty with a new tranny built to race spec, citing a possible crack in the valve body (may have been the original fault too). Done another 80,000km and its still rock solid. Love it.
These trannies are the 4L65E which is a bit marginal for this size vehicle and engine, but they can be rebuilt to super strong, if you spend the bucks.
nicee
Yaa man am still surprised on how many ppl have tranny problems with this car
Shocked actually,
Am at 200k and chillin lol
But i wanna maintain this baby 100%

And when you got it so fixed again ,what do did you buy or what made the race specs or like bullet proof ?

like is it a better part
Or the same part just tuned/built different?

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
1,388 Posts
Ok and Yaa I just mean in general or like extra additional things I can do or buy To keep my tranny good n differentials ,,
Overall Engine maintenance
To increase the life of my tranny; I swapped to a full synthetic AC/Delco Dexron VI fluid and changed the filter. My transmission shift very smooth even though it has 227k miles on it. The synthetic Dexron VI fluid runs cooler also and can handle more heat before failing compared to the stock semi-synthetic Dextron fluid. I will change my fluid(drain and fill) once a year until it hit 327l miles and then change the filter again.

I also suggest swapping the transmission pan to pan with a drain bolt when you change the filter to make transmission fluid changes much easier in the future. I bought a Dorman transmission pan with a drain bolt. However, the Dorman pan is black painted steel which may rust compared to the stock aluminum pan.

I bought 12 quarts of full synthetic AC/Delco Dextron VI for about $50 on Ebay

The Dorman transmission pan with drain bolt.

Reactions: BullzEye92
61 - 70 of 70 Posts