Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Escalade ESV
1 Posts
160,000 on 2004 ESV with absolutely no problems...till today. It now "revs up" between shifts and fluid smells slightly burnt. Looks like a rebuild is in my future ($1650)

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,754 Posts
160,000 on 2004 ESV with absolutely no problems...till today. It now "revs up" between shifts and fluid smells slightly burnt. Looks like a rebuild is in my future ($1650)
Welcome. Sorry to hear about the trouble. Keep us posted. I had a 2005 ESV and loved it. I think for such a huge vehicle, 160k is pretty good for the transmission...

·
Registered
2007 Escalade EXT
138 Posts
The only concern here is the overall wheel/tire diameter....I had 17" wheels on my 06 with 265x70x17 inch tires. I swapped them for 18" wheels with 265x65x18 inch tires. The outside diameter was IDENTICAL. I have, in the past, put extremely oversize tires and wheels on previous trucks.....the speedometer is always off, and you can immediately feel a loss in power do to the change in the final overall drive ratio.

So, if you changed from 17" wheels to 22" wheels, it still depends on the size of the tires...using a very low profile 22" tire (like a 50 or 45 series) may result in exactly the same final drive ratio. If that is the case, then the effect on the transmission will be absolutely nothing...

·
Registered
none
2 Posts
i have a 2002 escalade & transmission just felt like it went into neutral while i was on the fwy.. put it in gear & nothing happen,like it went into neutral any idea on what it can be?

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
belairphil said:
i have a 2002 escalade & transmission just felt like it went into neutral while i was on the fwy.. put it in gear & nothing happen,like it went into neutral any idea on what it can be?
Fluid level could be low

·
Registered
17 ATS, 06 EXT, 04 CTS
41 Posts
06 ext, 80k miles, no towing or heavy hauling, replaced tranny fluid at 75k miles. No problems so far, but keeping my eye on it.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Guyz1996deville said:
I don't mean to thread jack on the trans discussion but the diff whine you might be hearing guys might be from the prop shaft. I know that there is an update for the prop shaft; for when you get the diff rebuilt..
I think that might be what I hear on my 03(not sure)

·
Registered
Escalade esv
1 Posts
210000 miles on mine all stock i tow a 32ft travel trailer that weights in at 7100 pounds. Im the 2nd owner, I got it at 100000 miles. Transmission is finally trashed after towing about 25000 miles at max tow capacity. This vehicle has never left me or my family on the side of the road. Next week the old tranny comes out and a new one will be put in with the corvette servo and billistien OD along with all new struts, shocks, tires, pitman arm idler arm. About a $6500 bill. I still will say this car owes me nothing. Way more reliable than my 08 burb.

·
Registered
2004 ESV
814 Posts
While my transmission appears to be in great shape (red fluid on dipstick) at 131k, I know it could be time for a rebuild anytime in the next 20k-50k miles. Or maybe it will go another 100k with no issues. Would it be beneficial to look into a 4L80e when the time comes? Looks like 1st gear is taller, but OD is shorter, so it would turn a little bit higher RPM on the highway. Just would need to know if transfer case would bolt up. I might have to get a new drive shaft, but that's not a big deal.

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
1,328 Posts
212k miles and still on the stock transmission. Shifts like new after changing the fluid and filter at 209k miles. I use Castrol Transmax Dexron VI transmission fluid and the transmission shifts as smooth as butter. I also used a AC Delco transmission filter. Castrol fluid has some very good friction modifiers and additives that works very well in GM transmissions. I also use Castrol Dexron VI in my 2014 Buick Lacrosse with the 6 speed auto and it smooths out the shifts in that transmission as well. Castrol makes some very good automatic fluids.

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
1,328 Posts
While my transmission appears to be in great shape (red fluid on dipstick) at 131k, I know it could be time for a rebuild anytime in the next 20k-50k miles. Or maybe it will go another 100k with no issues. Would it be beneficial to look into a 4L80e when the time comes? Looks like 1st gear is taller, but OD is shorter, so it would turn a little bit higher RPM on the highway. Just would need to know if transfer case would bolt up. I might have to get a new drive shaft, but that's not a big deal.
You could probably just purchase a heavy duty 4L65E that will just bolt up.

Unless your engine is making seriously more torque over stock, then a 4L65E HD should be able to handle well over 400 ft/lbs of torque and is damn near bullet-proof so no real need to upgrade in the Escalade unless you are pulling some heavy loads (over 8500 pounds)everyday.

Here is some information about the 4L65 and the 4L80
http://www.700r4transmissionhq.com/4l60e-vs-4l80e-differences/

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 06 Escalade and after going through 3 transmission in less than 2years, I had to completely upgrade my 4l65e all internals with a stage 3 shift kit instead of converting to 4l80e. The reason I kept blowing transmission was because I have engine upgrades but the main corprut was my rear end gears. Even though I have the factory 373 bolted up to the 14 bolt hybrid axel, my 26inch rims made my ratio more like a 3:30 which was why I keep get the 3 and 4 slip. So I ended up putting in 4:10 and I haven't had any problems. 2018 Escalade cant keep up...lol

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I have a 06 Escalade and after going through 3 transmission in less than 2years, I had to completely upgrade my 4l65e all internals with a stage 3 shift kit instead of converting to 4l80e. The reason I kept blowing transmission was because I have engine upgrades but the main corprut was my rear end gears. Even though I have the factory 373 bolted up to the 14 bolt hybrid axel, my 26inch rims made my ratio more like a 3:30 which was why I keep get the 3 and 4 slip. So I ended up putting in 4:10 and I haven't had any problems. 2018 Escalade cant keep up...lol
What engine modifications do you have? I only did very slight mods to my engine(iridium spark plugs, MIT air duct w/ AFE filter, synthetic drive train fluids, throttle body coolant bypass) and my Escalade moves from 0-60 faster than most other non-performance grade trucks/SUV on the road. I only had an issue with a BMW X5 50i, Land Rover supercharged,and a Dodge Ram R/T that accelerated quicker than my Escalade from a stand still which is to expected since those trucks as really really quick. Yet, they did not beat me by much considering that I have not even tapped into the power that the LQ9 engine can make with just a few internal mods or even with a tuner.

The only issue I have with the 4L65 transmission performance wise is that it is slow to downshift from 4th gear while accelerating from 50-70mph. But other than that if I nail it from 0-30mph then it moves like a sports truck. However, that is to be expected from a 4 speed automatic. I would like to bolt on a 6 speed auto for better gearing later on.

·
Registered
2004 ESV
814 Posts
Upgrading to a 6L80e would be a serious project. The trans works with the newer 58X Gen 4 engines/controllers. The Gen 3 uses the 24X controller. Anything is possible with $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Upgrading to a 6L80e would be a serious project. The trans works with the newer 58X Gen 4 engines/controllers. The Gen 3 uses the 24X controller. Anything is possible with $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Just as I feared. However, as time goes custom controllers would become more popular with the big name tuning companies that would bring the price down for such a swap. LOL, a 6L80 can be had for less than $1000 used and about $2000 new. The real cost is trying to get it to work with my stock set up.

This guy did a 4l60 to 6l80 swap on his 2001 Chevy Silverado so it is possible yet costly. I have this project on my to do list after doing some internal engine mods first. Hopefully some custom controllers/kits would be available at the time.
https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/speartech-ls2-6l80e-swap-401899/

Update: Just checked and a company does make a 6l80 conversion kit which includes a rebuilt 6l80 transmission for $3800 dollars. Pricey but includes everything needed to bolt it on the LQ9. If my current 4l65 ever dies then I would consider buying a 6l80 kit like this one.
http://www.zerogravityperformance.com/product/gen-1-2-3-chevrolet-engine-6l80e-6l90e-6-speed-conversion-kit/

·
Registered
2006 Escalade ESV stock all well maintenanced
22 Posts
damm bro what year Escalade did you have ? You think it might be certain year models ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Crazy How all these tranny problems occur
I got a 06 ESV 198,000 miles
Baby runs like a champ
I did tranny change at 120,000
All my fluids are done
When I did my front differential like at 160,000,,, the first oil to come out was practically grey like covered in metal shaving n the transfer case holy fuck that shit bled like 10 quarts but I was only able to put like 4 back super weird

·
Registered
2006 escalade esv platinum
50 Posts
I was told that its always best to drive in 3rd when doing city driving. Something about the fluid flow iN such a way that makes it easier on the tranny.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That is strange
To drive in 3rd gear in the city ?
Anyone else heard about this ?
What’s the benefit of this ?
For the ESV?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Driving in 3rd gear to protect the 4L60E transmission is a new concept to me. Gas mileage will be even worst than it is now in my 2006 I believe if I limited the transmisson to 3rd gear around town. However, I really do not know if the concept will extend the transmission life or not.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts