Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2014 ATS-4 2.0 (RIP), 2015 SRX4, 2008 STS4 V6
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Researching a lot on HID and the best retrofit would involve replacing the stock halogen projector with a projector with optics designed specifically for an HID bulb. I know from the posts throughout this forum that the stock halogen projectors seem to work well with retrofit kits. Has anyone taken the next step and changed the projector? What model and bulb was used? I know the premium/performance projector may not be a direct swap because of the adaptive light features. Thanks

·
Registered
none
1,102 Posts
I think you would get more of a response on hidplanet forums. Try and take a photo of the back of the projector with the headlight cover open and the bulb removed so you can see which halogen projector is in there. If you're lucky there will be an identical hid projector that will bolt directly in place. Otherwise you will have to do a lot more work to bolt it up and have it properly aimed.

·
Registered
14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Son of a Gun Grey Metallic
3,074 Posts
The car comes HID bulb ready (no ballasts or anything), even for the non HID cars. All use a single bulb, high beam enabled projector with cutoff, so replacing that would be replacing apples with apples. The only thing that has to change is the bulb to be a proper HID and still have high beam capability, and not blind others with bad cutoff or glare.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Huh? How can it come with HID bulbs if it doesn't have the proper components to ignite the HID bulb?

The car comes HID bulb ready (no ballasts or anything), even for the non HID cars. All use a single bulb, high beam enabled projector with cutoff, so replacing that would be replacing apples with apples. The only thing that has to change is the bulb to be a proper HID and still have high beam capability, and not blind others with bad cutoff or glare.

·
Registered
ATS
415 Posts
I believe they are just saying the projector housing in the headlight is capable of working with a HID kit, Some projectors/housing cant deal with the heat or the lightoutput is irregular but the ATS projector is able to accept and properly output light from xenon bulbs. All you need to do is install an aftermarket kit as opposed to a full retrofit including headlight housing and lens.

·
Registered
14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Son of a Gun Grey Metallic
3,074 Posts
Sorry, I should have said HID ready, aside from there is no ignitor, ballast or HID bulb on the low trimmed cars. But the two beam projector is still in place. (low/ high)

·
Registered
none
1,102 Posts
Just because it's a projector, doesn't mean it will handle HID the same as a factory setup. Halogen projector are designed for a halogen bulbs focal point, which differs from xenon. It might be okay, but it wont compare to a xenon projector.

·
Registered
2014 ATS-4 2.0 (RIP), 2015 SRX4, 2008 STS4 V6
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Exactly bill. I know from other discussions the output with a plug and play hid kit is pretty good. Want to see how better an hid projector would be and would it be worth the extra effort and expense. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts