Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having these really sharp chest pains for about 8 months now. They started off as being sporadic and only happening about once a month. It was breathing related and it would feel like someone was stabbing me in the heart when when I took a deep breath. Lately it was getting more frequent and much more painful. I would wake up in the middle of the night hardly able to breathe due to the pain associated with taking any type of breath.

I went to the doctor today and explained this all to him. He listened to my breathing and felt my ribs and back. This only took about 5 minutes and he diagnosed me with 3 twisted rips. I have never heard of something so stupid but that's what it was. He laid me on my back and rolled me onto his fist and sure enough I felt the rips pop back into place one by one. It didn't hurt at all, it just felt weird having my ribs pop back into place along my spine. He said it is very common after car wrecks and the twisted ribs will be on the side the seat belt crosses your shoulder. I think it happened last August when I got T-boned in my '95 DeVille.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else had heard of this. It's a perfectly logical explanation for the pain I was feeling as there are nerves between the ribs that would get pinched if something got pushed out of place in there. I will have to wait a while to see if that was really the problem because I was only getting the pains like once a week. I did a Google search and only found like 3 mentions of it.

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
I have been having these really sharp chest pains for about 8 months now. They started off as being sporadic and only happening about once a month. It was breathing related and it would feel like someone was stabbing me in the heart when when I took a deep breath. Lately it was getting more frequent and much more painful. I would wake up in the middle of the night hardly able to breathe due to the pain associated with taking any type of breath.

I went to the doctor today and explained this all to him. He listened to my breathing and felt my ribs and back. This only took about 5 minutes and he diagnosed me with 3 twisted rips. I have never heard of something so stupid but that's what it was. He laid me on my back and rolled me onto his fist and sure enough I felt the rips pop back into place one by one. It didn't hurt at all, it just felt weird having my ribs pop back into place along my spine. He said it is very common after car wrecks and the twisted ribs will be on the side the seat belt crosses your shoulder. I think it happened last August when I got T-boned in my '95 DeVille.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else had heard of this. It's a perfectly logical explanation for the pain I was feeling as there are nerves between the ribs that would get pinched if something got pushed out of place in there. I will have to wait a while to see if that was really the problem because I was only getting the pains like once a week. I did a Google search and only found like 3 mentions of it.
Not sure how old, nor... how can I put this - "backwoods" your doctor is, but I've never quite heard it put that way before. :hmm:

Anyway... If you want some more info, try searching for "dislocated ribs." You might get slightly better mileage with that one...

·
Registered
None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.
5,705 Posts
Eh, sounds feasible. Are you feeling better now though? If so, don't worry about it! :)

·
The Creature
2005 Cadillac Escalade ESV
1,110 Posts
Hey, I've had stuff like this happen to me sporadically throughout my life.. My ribs are ALL screwed up due to martial arts injuries. I have ribs sticking out everywhere. heh! You really can't tell by looking but if you feel my ribs, it's obvious that something is very wrong. So I guess you're feeling better now - right?

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
Never heard of it phrased that way.. my best guess is tietze syndrome. I have had a couple younger male patients present with similar symptoms, but theirs was due to intense workout routines; gave them that diagnosis after ruling out cardiac, pulmonary, viral, and neuro causes.

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't had any of the pains all week so that must have been it. However, my whole rib cage felt like it was on fire for a few days after the adjustment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts