Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 01 SLS rattles really bad over bumps in the road. I have read some posts on this happening from the front of the car, but have yet to find any on this noise comming from the rear of the vehicle aswell.

The car seems to ride just beautifully, but makes this aweful rattle. Since it is front and rear corners, would it be a safe bet that my struts are bad?

Also, the noise comes from all corners, but I swear sometimes it sounds like its' comming from the center front of the vehicle, but mainly from the corners.

Anyone have any advice? I just bought the car and am tapped out with money right now, so I can't get it fixed now. But I would like to have everything in order so I can get it fixed in one easy swoop. I checked out the front suspension as best I could without taking of the wheels, all looked sturdy. Sway bar was fine. Whenever I get around to buying a new jack, I will take off teh wheels.

but thanks for any comments or advice!
Dustin

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Sounds like your swaybar bushings. Mine are bad and it rattles like a mother fuc*er in the front and the middle. I know it's not my struts because it dosen't do it over dips, but if the road is rough it sounds terrible. Check em out.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Yeah it could also be the sway bar end links on the front and the back, but it would be really odd for all four to go bad at the same time. Plus it's an 01. My endlinks only recently needed replacment on my 94. It just would strike me as odd for all four endlinks to go, and so early... :hmm:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Second on the sway bar end links. I replaced one when I replaced my struts a couple weeks ago and it got a little loose yesterday. BIG rattle, almost all the time... but a 19mm socket, allen wrench and little hammer snugged it up nicely -- no rattle.

Make sure the front end links are TIGHT. They see a lot of movement and stress and WILL back off if not tight.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have had a loud rattle coming from where I think is the right front of my 93 Eldo and I can't find anything loose. From what I've been reading I think it could be the sway bar? Is there anything else that it might be? Also, is replacing the end links (is that what goes out on the sway bar?) difficult? Thanks, guys!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just got my sway bar end links replaced on the front of my 92STS. The noise stopped and I have better control of steering. Now, all I hear is annoying noise coming from the catalytic converter. It will be replaced next.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The sway bar idea woudl explain why the sound seems to come from almost below teh car (not near from where I'd think the struts would sound).

I will have to check it out tonight. I will post my results. Thanks for your ideas!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I am not talking about the end links, although mine were bad, I am talking about the actual rubber bushings that the sway bar goes through under the car. End links are a possibility, but still check those bushings.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do you tell if the links are bad? Aside from if they are obviously cracked or something

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I put mine up on jack stands and jerked up on the wheel as hard as I could a couple of times and I could hear it knocking. I also grabbed the link, pushed and pulled on it and I could hear it knock.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
It is a LOT easier to tell if they are bad with both front or rear (depending on what ones you're checking) wheels off the ground. With only one wheel off the ground, the bar is twisted and you would be hard pressed to find a problem. My favorite way of checking for rattles is with a rubber malet. Just be careful not to hit anything that might break though.

Kewl, this is my 700th post.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Does anyone have the dimension information on the bars? Tomorrow I'm going to get a measurement of the front bar and buy the Energy Suspension Poly bushings for the front. I'm sure my original ones are shot and I'll get a little suspension upgrade while I'm at it...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Got my bushings today and got them installed. I got in the car and took it to the bumpiest damn road I could find......... slience. No more rattle, clank or clunk. On top of that, my 45MPH shimmy and wobling when I put the brakes on are also gone. When you go to install them, make sure that you have the bolts lined up, I cross threaded one of mine and had to drill it out.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I found the source of the front rattles. I'm really...not happy. It looks to be what I beleive are the body mounts. Something is very odd about it, though. The same one is loose on either side. VERY loose, might I add.

I am attaching some pictures to be sure I have the right name.
But what in Gods name is the deal? Also, what is involved with fixing this? What is Causing this?

BAH!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
7 Participants
Trench