Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 XTS Vsport Platinum with QUE 2.5 Upgrade
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else experience these problems? The harsh shifting is more of an annyance, but I'm also worried it might damage the rear end if I just let it go. It is an 2006 STS RWD V8 with 98000 mi. Aamco says since there are no codes stored I'm looking at a basic transmission overhaul which would cost $1700.

Details:
-Shifting from P,N,R to Drive is harsh
-Shifting from P,N,D to Reverse is normal
-1 to 2 shift is harsh when I am at low throttle or if I am accelerating, and then lift up on the accel pedal.
-Other shifts are basically normal.
-No other strange sounds or problems.

I'm just wondering if a specific problem could be corrected rather than getting a complete overhaul.

·
Registered
2005 STS V6-1SC
411 Posts
At 98k you are only 2k from the scheduled 100k trans service take it to a caddy dealer(as previously suggested) get the service and it might solve your issues. By all means stay away from Aamco they lowballed that estimate for an overhaul.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac STS
182 Posts
haha yah agreed don't let them touch it. I would just get your transmission flushed or do it your self.

·
Cadillac Owners Troll
2019 CT6 Sport 3.0TT,2015 Luxury ATS , 2016 ELR, and Volt
2,395 Posts
engine mounts or diff bushing. I doubt it's the transmission

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your comments, Here is some additional information:

It's not looseness in the rear, and I have new engine mounts. The transmission mount is good too. By harsh, I mean that the affected shifts are very quick, and unmodulated, or unfeathered. It is like the pressure applied to the shift is at maximum pressure. I hate the idea of getting a complete overhaul when I know there is just some valve that is sticking or something like that.

Shifts from 2-3, 3-4, and P-R are all very smooth and gentle. The harsh shifts are felt as well as heard. You can feel the sudden bump along with the nose.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally, I have the root cause. Several of you were correct. It was the differential carrier support bushing (front-most one). The bushing rubber was separated, and missing. It also results in moaning noise at highway speeds on acceleration due to high angle between differential, and prop shaft. I also noted that there are large cracks in the flex coupling so that will have to be replaced as well. Seems odd that you can't buy the flex coupling separately, but have to buy the entire prop shaft.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts