Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who are running harnesses without a cage... who makes a harness bar or a bolt-in 4 point roll bar w/ harness bar for our cars?

I found a really good race shop in the area that will custom build a quickly removable harness bar, but it will be about $900, and want to check to see if any companies out there already make one for cheaper, or even a 4 point roll bar, that I can use before I spend the money on a custom one.

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
There might be others interested. See if the will lower the price on a group buy.

As far as other companies, I have not heard of one.

·
Registered
05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE
1,596 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
The bar isnt needed, You just need to remove the rear cushion and bolt them into the Seatbelt holes...

A harness bar is a nice benefit, but a roll cage is mmuch better, HOWEVER, installin one will be the end of a daily driver for your car...

Have a friend with yrs of experience and he was willin to build me a roll cage, but after a long debate, he convienced me not to get one.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Originally posted by Sport Compact Car

Myth #10: Roll cages make your street car safer.The Truth: This statement is only true if you are in a collision while wearing a helmet. In reality, welding or bolting in a multi-point cage is one of the most dangerous things you can do to your street car. Even if scrupulously designed and wickedly fabricated, cages are meant for race cars and drivers wearing helmets. Sure, a cage can dramatically improve chassis rigidity, but this huge increase also means that energy that was supposed to be absorbed by crumple zones can now be directly transmitted to your body. In a high-impact collision, that sweet 4130 chromoly tubing can crack open your unprotected head like a watermelon.
Cages can also negatively impact many of the existing safety features found in newer cars. Passive safety restraints such as seat belts and active systems such as airbags are designed to work within a fixed amount of space and cannot account for the cabin intrusion of a safety cage. In fact, in newer cars, cage tubing can prevent the deployment of certain side and side curtain airbag systems. And we haven't even mentioned the injury potential of poorly designed cages of suspect strength and geometry.

The Fix: Padding a rollcage can lessen the potential for injury, but unless you are willing to wear a helmet and 5-point harness to the grocery store-you're better off without one in your street car.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
after looking more into it, and looking at all of the technical specs of schroth's 4 point harnesses that are meant to bolt into the stock seatbelt mounting locations in the rear seat, the harness bar isn't needed, so I think I will save myself $900.

just an FYI, I did contact D3 Cadillac and they are very receptive to the idea of building a harness bar if anyone is interested, and they don't need your car... just shoot them an email regarding the V1 harness bar.

·
Registered
05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE
1,596 Posts
"You can simply call HMS Motorsports and tell them you want a set of the Schroth Quick Fit Pro harnesses for a CTS-V. Make sure you tell them you want the bolt in parts that are longer for the CTS-V."

This was the advice Feffman gave in his thread since they did have to lengthen the harness a bit to fit.

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts