Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a decent spot to tap for my Passport, preferrably in the overhead console type deal.

Does anyone know which wire is switched? Those connectors are being a PITA to disconnect to check with my test light and I don't just wanna go cutting them one by one.

Also, for those who did this, did you use a hardwire kit or can I just cut my current power cord? I'm hesitant because it is a smartcord with the mute button etc.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got my hardwire kit and just wired it up. I took the overhead console piece down that houses the dome lights. There is a brown, black, and orange power connector. I disconnected it and found out that the orange is constant, the black is ground, and the brown is the switched wire I needed for power.

I tapped that wire and used the screw that holds the front-most end of the plastic piece as my ground. I ran the remote mute to the driver side topmost plastic panel. It turned out to be a pretty easy, slick looking install.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ugh.. I just went to town and noticed that after I got up to like 5MPH the detector shut off. Then it wouldnt come back on. I pulled back into the same position where I installed it, fired the truck back up and it started back up. I took off and it shut off again. Confusing.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac AWD
322 Posts
Yes, you can use your current cord, but it probably is coiled and will be difficult to hide.

I bought a power lead that plugs directly into your fusebox from Walmart for $2.00. Here's a pic...

Then you plug it into this fuse (I'm too lazy to look at my manual). It comes on when the key comes on and goes off when the key goes off.

It is very easy to hide the power cord in the dash (no removal) and you can ground right into the fusebox too. Really easy to have a professional install.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for actually taking the time to post here.

I actually bought an add a circuit, but just tapped a wire in the overhead console. Turns out the power is only on when the headlights are on. Back to the drawing board for another wire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts