Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always fascinates me when someone comes to CF seeking help or advice, then when they get honest answers and guys speaking from long experience, they get all defensive and offended when their statements are challenged. My special favorite is when someone posts a DIC message that doesn't exist for an item that isn't monitored.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts
DIC messages can be misleading - but ANY recurring DIC error or fault message is cause for deeper investigation. A quick trip through the owner's manual or a Helm service manual can shed light, but it's up to the owner with problems to do some research. It's all in here, somewhere.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,263 Posts
DIC messages can be misleading - but ANY recurring DIC error or fault message is cause for deeper investigation. A quick trip through the owner's manual or a Helm service manual can shed light, but it's up to the owner with problems to do some research. It's all in here, somewhere.
-----------------------------------------------
A quick trip through the owner's manual
or a Helm service manual can shed light,

don't be silly -
NO ONE looks at the Owners Manual -
it's filled with totally useless information -

oh wait -

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
People just want to be right. Had a lady come in to the parts store I work at, pretty upset. I ask if I can help her, but she demands to speak to the store manager ONLY. Curious, I stand and listen. She says to him, "I came here and bought wiper blades yesterday, and YOU put them on my car!"
"Yes," says the manager, "I remember. Are they not working good? I can get you a different kind."
"NO! THAT'S not the problem! The problem is, now my tire pressure light won't go off, and it was fine until you put wiper blades on my car!"

I wish to God I was kidding, lying, making it up, hallucinating, or otherwise. But this crap happened in front of me. When someone is sure they're right, they just want you to verify it for them, and nothing else. Sometimes I hate people.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
As a corollary, nobody likes to have demonstrated to them how ignorant/stupid they are.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's amazing how many people expect you to be able to impart knowledge to them in a few minutes that took you sixty years or more to accumulate.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
Always fascinates me when someone comes to CF seeking help or advice, then when they get honest answers and guys speaking from long experience, they get all defensive and offended when their statements are challenged. My special favorite is when someone posts a DIC message that doesn't exist for an item that isn't monitored.
People just want to be right. Had a lady come in to the parts store I work at, pretty upset. I ask if I can help her, but she demands to speak to the store manager ONLY. Curious, I stand and listen. She says to him, "I came here and bought wiper blades yesterday, and YOU put them on my car!"
"Yes," says the manager, "I remember. Are they not working good? I can get you a different kind."
"NO! THAT'S not the problem! The problem is, now my tire pressure light won't go off, and it was fine until you put wiper blades on my car!"

I wish to God I was kidding, lying, making it up, hallucinating, or otherwise. But this crap happened in front of me. When someone is sure they're right, they just want you to verify it for them, and nothing else. Sometimes I hate people.
As a corollary, nobody likes to have demonstrated to them how ignorant/stupid they are.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's amazing how many people expect you to be able to impart knowledge to them in a few minutes that took you sixty years or more to accumulate.
Welcome to my world guys!

I work in an Hardware store for a family owned company that just celebrated their 104th anniversary.
We have 4 stores (Was 7 when I started there 12 years ago) We have the reputation of having the most complete inventory and most knowledgeable staff in the area. The newest full time hire has been in our store for 11 years, I am second from the newest.

I spend all day dealing with people who have been sent to us by our competitors because we will be able to solve their problem. Even with that, you would be amazed how many people do not want to believe us when we tell them what they need to do.

One of the things that makes work enjoyable is that while our goal is to help customers and try to maintain and grow our business, the management also knows the customer is not always right. This allows us to not always "suffer fools gladly"!

·
Registered
Current 2014 red CTS Vsport/ Black Raven 2013 3.6 ATS4 gone
3,513 Posts
OMG.Wow.

·
Registered
2011 DTS super traveller
126 Posts
Worked at my brother-in-law's neighborhood shop, & he just asked ridiculous customers not to return! Lot's of customers so why? However, one of his mechanics was super patient & it won him business... my admiration too! Personally, it was hard to deal w/ jerks.

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,631 Posts
Worked at my brother-in-law's neighborhood shop, & he just asked ridiculous customers not to return! Lot's of customers so why? However, one of his mechanics was super patient & it won him business... my admiration too! Personally, it was hard to deal w/ jerks.
Never forget that life grades on the curve. We might not have that 4.0 GPA if not for those idiots and jerks.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Those are bad enough but the lazy ass posters who want ypu to either explain step by step with every tool size/type/how to hold it and of course which way to turn the tool... Then they get pissy when no one posts exactly what they want or if something doesn't go exactly right. You can image what fun a mechanic would have with them. I have no idea how they handle new situations in life like automatic doors...
My all time favorite customer memory is this fellow of asian descent who spoke close to zero english who after an oil change insisted the oil level be seen from the oil fill cap,like a lawn mower i suppose. We argued best we could with the guy for half an hr, finally I stuck the oil fill nozzle in the cap and didn't stop until it was full. I've never seen someone so happy all my life even when he signed the invoice that had scribbled on it "i insisted the engine be full to the top with oil against techs advice. I was told it will destroy my engine and I assume all responsibility for destroying my engine". So he left and we never heard anything from him. Can't fix stupid...

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
Back in another lifetime I worked for an outfit that had a government contract to maintain USAF ground power units that included air compressors, generators, and hydraulic pumps. I got a call from the officer in charge that proceeded to tell me how bad our work was. I went out to the base and while he proceeded to tell me what a ripoff outfit we were to my face, we watched some sad sack go down the line filling all the crankcases of the equipment to the brim with gasoline. Over the next few weeks we had a pile of extra work and nary a complaint.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,263 Posts

======================
AMEN to that -

1 - 14 of 14 Posts