Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at/driving many cars trying to find a vechicle to replace the Fleetwood I recently sold. I'm looking for something to use as "need only" vechicle. Got the Mark VIII's for daily use but I want something I can haul stuff and people when I have guests plus something I can get real nasty dirty and not care about too much but it cant be a piece of crap.

Been looking at older K5 Blazer's and Bronco's but I give up on them as they are all overpriced and in real bad shape (ones I looked at anyway). So today went and looked at a Roadmaster wagon. Thought it drove ok and the 350 did feel pretty strong. Car wasn't in great shape though so I passed on it. Had all the great signs elements going in to see the car:

1.Old lady owned it cause it was her husbands and he died last year

2. Husband was original owner

3. She has a $1.4 million 8500 sq. ft home.

I pulled up to the house and I'm thinking ...........YES!, this is going to be creampuff. I knocked on the door, sweet little old lady answers and says to meet her by the garage doors on the right part of the house (had 2 separate 4 car garages on each side of the house). Anyway, I walk down the huge front stairway to the garage and anxiously wait for her to open it. Then she opens it, immediately I notice some wear and a little paint missing on the rear bumper. I'm thinking ok no big deal, husband probably hit a shopping cart or something. Then the lady gets in the car to pull it out so I can get a better look at it. She starts it up, immediately I hear a rather loud exhaust leak. Then the car comes out into the sunshine. The fake wood is kinda messed up, the interior is almost a yellow leather and not so great. The paint is pretty shot, carpets all stained and there were a lot of little but annoying things broken/missing or cracked on the inside. I could also smell coolant under the hood but saw no leak. Talk about severe blue balls!.

Tomorrow I'm looking at a '95 GMC Sierra extended cab truck, hope that works out better.

·
Registered
1996 DeVille, 1985 Brougham SAGE GREEN!
2,750 Posts
Good luck on the search. I'd keep trying to look for the Chevy/Buick/Olds late model wagons. I have always liked them. The Olds is the hardest to find,but so cool.

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
Yeah, lots of truck and SUV choices...hmm. A well kept truck is a GREAT universal choice, especially for hauling stuff.

OR, like you just tried, find a '94-96 Roadmaster wagon with the "WB4" wood delete package. Several guys on the Impala SS forum covet them like gold, and there's a great dealer in NY who buys and sells nearly nothing but B&D bodies and tries to get every one of these rare birds he can find in the nation.

Just depends on your whole view on the car vs. truck comparo...even if the "car" can haul a huge amount of stuff. You already have cars, though...

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, lots of truck and SUV choices...hmm. A well kept truck is a GREAT universal choice, especially for hauling stuff.

OR, like you just tried, find a '94-96 Roadmaster wagon with the "WB4" wood delete package. Several guys on the Impala SS forum covet them like gold, and there's a great dealer in NY who buys and sells nearly nothing but B&D bodies and tries to get every one of these rare birds he can find in the nation.

Just depends on your whole view on the car vs. truck comparo...even if the "car" can haul a huge amount of stuff. You already have cars, though...
Looking past the fact that this particular Roadmaster wasn't in good shape, I actually did like the size and features of the car, even had a factory tach which I thought was surprising. The moonroof was a nice touch too. I'd could swing either way, I just need something with more utility than the Fleetwood and my other two cars. The wood delete option would be nice, I cant believe they put that wood stuff on these cars for as long as they did. Surely by the '90's it was out of style. :D

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
Get a wagon!

I just hauled 8 mounted wheels & tires, plus a 2 ton jack, and my two tool boxes with ease over to my friends shop. Not to mention people get out of my way, so far I am loving the wagon.

I would love to find a clean 1991 and up wagon and if I do, I will regrettably sell this mint 1986.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Have you ever given thought a Suburban? What year K5 Blazers are we looking at here? Maybe it's different in Florida, but all of the 92-99 Full Size Blazers/two door Tahoes I see up here are nearly mint, but they're quite rare, which makes them coveted among 4x4 enthusiasts. I've seen a few (less than 10) come into work, in the 11 months that I've been there, and we've sold one....('96 LS, 134k miles, green, grey cloth interior) in less than a week! They do not stick around very long at all.

Maybe you should try you luck up North.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you ever given thought a Suburban? What year K5 Blazers are we looking at here?
I'm only looking up to '91 on the Blazers/Jimmy's and up to '96 on the Bronco's.Why? Cause they have the removable tops which would be fun. Like I said though, I'm kinda giving that idea up. As it stands, I think an extended cab full size truck is my second choice (Blazer/Bronco being first), with the GM wagons coming in 3rd. Basically I'm taking whatever comes along first. Tomorrow I'm checking out a GMC Sierra that looks pretty promising but of course will probably be a piece of crap. :banghead:

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
The 88-98 Sierra/Silverado is one of my favorite trucks of all time. Not many trucks have a much better reliability history, nor a masculine, clean look.

·
Registered
1985 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham d'elegance - 1969 Coupe DV (R.I.P.)
655 Posts
go with the gmc. i have a 93 and it is bulletproof. those things never break if properly maintained

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts

Can't beat these wagons.. they offer a type of ride & luxury you just can't get out of a truck... yet they can be loaded up and worked like a truck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1993 Fleetwood Brougham
51 Posts
My daily driver is a '91 Olds Custom Cruiser. Outstanding car! Runs and drives great and about 24 mpg on the road..not bad for a big wagon.

·
Registered
1979 Phaeton Coupe, 1990 Brougham d'Elegance 5.7 liter
4,416 Posts
I always thought it would be cool in a weird way to get a white Bronco and fix it to look like the O.J. Bronco lol... I have an odd sense of fun, I know. But I think it's a nice looking truck regardless.

If you just can't be that cool ;) go with the wagon, I've been around those a lot... bad ass cars.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, the Sierra was a POS as I figured it would. I may have to spend more than the amount I want to. Nothing lined up for tomorrow. :mad:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Found the right vechicle at the right price. Picked up a '96 Chevy full size conversion van w/66k original miles for $4k. Has the 5.7 Vortec and runs and drives just like the '99 I sold not too long ago. The van is now wearing the Impala SS wheels I had on the Fleetwood and I'll spend the day detailing it. Here is a link of it from the AutoTrader: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=225114942&dealer_id=60486817&car_year=1996&marketZipError=false&search_type=both&num_records=25&keywordsfyc=&make=CHEV&model=G10&transmission=&distance=50&address=34655&make2=&default_sort=priceDESC&advanced=&certified=&max_mileage=&max_price=&sort_type=priceDESC&min_price=&body_code=0&end_year=2008&keywordsrep=&color=&start_year=1981&drive=&search_lang=en&page_location=findacar::ispsearchform&engine=&fuel=&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=23

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
Very nice looking van! The 5.7 liter Vortec motor is a workhorse as well, just watch out for that tranny.

·
Registered
1996 DeVille, 1985 Brougham SAGE GREEN!
2,750 Posts
Found the right vechicle at the right price. Picked up a '96 Chevy full size conversion van w/66k original miles for $4k. Has the 5.7 Vortec and runs and drives just like the '99 I sold not too long ago. The van is now wearing the Impala SS wheels I had on the Fleetwood and I'll spend the day detailing it. Here is a link of it from the AutoTrader: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=225114942&dealer_id=60486817&car_year=1996&marketZipError=false&search_type=both&num_records=25&keywordsfyc=&make=CHEV&model=G10&transmission=&distance=50&address=34655&make2=&default_sort=priceDESC&advanced=&certified=&max_mileage=&max_price=&sort_type=priceDESC&min_price=&body_code=0&end_year=2008&keywordsrep=&color=&start_year=1981&drive=&search_lang=en&page_location=findacar::ispsearchform&engine=&fuel=&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=23

I gotta see those wheels on that van! I bet it looks great.

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
I know a guy in Boca Raton who works with Diablo Tuning that can put one mean tune on that 5.7 Vortec :devil:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very nice looking van! The 5.7 liter Vortec motor is a workhorse as well, just watch out for that tranny.
Yeah I know. This isn't my first van, you probably remember my '99 with the dubs I sold last year. My '99 was a high top which got to be annoying at times and didn't have leather, seats are much nicer in this one but that turqoise color kinda jumps at ya. Here's a pic of the old '99.

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
Nice wheels on your 1999! Are those Intro or Boss wheels?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts