Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Seville SLS
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 SLS. On Saturday the wife told me she had to crank the starter for about 10 seconds and step on the gas peddle to get the car to start. I went out and tried it, sure enough had to do the same thing. It had the original battery and I thought maybe it was going bad so I replaced it but still have the same problem. Any ideas?? Bad Fuel Pressure Regulator?? Once it starts it runs fine no problems and no codes thrown either.

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
Definetly sounds like a fuel pressure regulator. There's a very helpful write up in the tech tips section on how to check it, and change it, very very very easy

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,990 Posts
Does this happen both hot and cold? If hot only, FPR would be suspect. If both hot and cold, check the fuel pump relay.

·
Super Moderator
86,990 Posts
Check the FPR and let us know what you find. See the Tech Tips section if you don't know how. It's very easy.

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
Usually the crankshaft position sensors will cause the car to stall, especially at a red light, when they go bad. I am pretty sure they will also throw a code. But if the fpr checks out, that would be my next guess.

·
Registered
1998 Seville SLS
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was the FPR....$79.85 from the local dealer, problem solved..Thanks guys.

On a side note, getting almost 10 years out of the orig battery I thought was pretty good.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
That's to say GM engineers did a good job by changing the battery location under back seats

·
Registered
1997 SLS
550 Posts
Definetly sounds like a fuel pressure regulator. There's a very helpful write up in the tech tips section on how to check it, and change it, very very very easy
Hi - I have the same problem with my 97 SLS. It starts perfectly when it is cold, but once hot, it cranks excessively to start. You mentioned a tech tips section that explains how to check and change the fpr...I'm new to the site and cannot locate this section. Can you guide me thru the process, or explain how to change the fpr?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
86,990 Posts
Scroll down to Cadillac Forum Jump. Click on the drop down box and scroll down to Tech Tips

1 - 15 of 15 Posts