Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question 1:
My V pulls hard left or right under heavy acceleration from highway speeds, dealer says nothing is wrong. The pull is coming from the rear of the car, not in the steering. Any ideas?

Question 2: Anyone know a GM dealer in the Houston area that really understand how a high performance V functions?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,137 Posts
Welcome Aboard !!!

Do those cars have "positraction" - equal power to the drive wheels ? If not, or if the differential locker is slipping too much, you get rear end "torque steer" (not an accurate term) from the tire that has the most traction. Does the rear gearset use a "friction modifier" in the gear oil ?

Back in the 60s Chevelle/GTO days we used AirLift bags in the rear springs to load the wheels for equal traction at launch.

What about a subscription to the GM/Cadillac service manuals online - at www.alldatadiy.com. MUCH cheaper than the GM/Helm paper or DVD copies. www.helminc.com

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
74 Posts
Have you tried the same acceleration test in 'Tour' and 'Track'? If so, was there a significant difference? Also, is the road perfectly flat or is there a crown?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep tried in the different modes, no change. It does it when your rolling at 50mph or above, road levelness has no bearing. It wont do it if you ease your foot into it, but if you slam the foot pedal to the floor it will either pull hard right or hard left, then when you try to counter the pull it will pull the other way? Kind of like trying to ride a bull! Its a challenge to keep it in your lane. I'm thinking its suspension or something wrong with the rear end? I changed the tires so it's not that.

·
Registered
'06 STS-V, '17 CTS-V
774 Posts
It’s the Electronic Slip Differential (esd) overcompensating for the loss of traction in one tire over the other across slight road imperfections. It is “over-nanny” in its computerized attempt to prevent a loss of control, and so the car responds opposite the way you’d expect it to under the loss of traction you feel. For example, say you gun it and feel the left rear lose a bit of traction (say juuuuust over the edge of the center rumble-strip on double- yellow lined road). You’d naturally steer a degree or two to the right in order to compensate for the higher accelerative effort of the right rear that maintained traction. The problem is that your turn to the right is now MAGNIFIED as the ESD is slowing the right rear. Net effect is the car darts right because TWO inputs were applied, and it is scary as hell because you are only aware of the one you made. There is a plug-in for the Vette to reduce the interference, but I don’t yet believe one for the V.

That being said, good tires will HELP prevent this. I had one new one and one used on the rear, and whole car darted right under power. Flipped the tires, same thing just in the opposite direction. Simply the difference in compound engages the esd.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts