Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
02 eldo collectors series, 98 eldo, 97 deville, 96+94 SLS,
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey have any of you guys ever heard of the 90 devilles having a really stiff gas pedal? As long as I can remember mine has been really stiff (no jokes guys) and I hate it. I did a little investingating and found that when I disconnected the kickdown cable it freed up the gas pedal, so I disconnected it from both ends and shot some WD-40 into and moved it back and forth and it seems to move nice and easy, but when I hooked it back up to the tranny side, that kickdown mechanism in the bell housing was tight and thats what is causing the tight pedal. I just had the tranny replaced about a year ago, and it was like that before I had it replaced, so I just figured it was just the way it is with that car, then I bought my 93 deville and it has no problem, its nice and easy. I was just curious if anyone else had experienced this in a 90's deville.

Thanks, Jack

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
After talking with you over IM, Im thinking its carbon on the throttle body..... When you manually move the throttle plate, is it smooth and easy??? That would be a starting point I think....

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, smooth and easy, if I take off that kickdown cable its great!!

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
I dont have enough specific knowledge to help you anymore..... Sorry... :(

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am bumping up this post because I am going to be using this car everyday for work again now that the weather is getting better, and this gas pedal thing is driving me nuts, I know there has to be someone who has tackled this problem before. I am down to the source of the problem, if I pull the kickdown cable out of the bell housing of the tranny, the gas pedal is nice and easy, it is not the kickdown cable, nor the accelerator cable, or the throttle body or plates, the problem seems to be originating from the kickdown mechanism inside the bell housing, I don't really know what goes on in there but I am willing to tackle the job, even if I have to disconnect the tranny from the engine to change whatever is in there, this problem has been going on since the car has had 20,000 miles on it and it now has 200,000 and I have to get it resolved, after buying my 93 deville and driving it with a nice soft pedal driving my 90 is hell. Anyway any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks Jack

·
Registered
82 Posts
my 94 deville has a stiffer pedal then usual was wondering why also now after reading this im still not sure but i had a code po-85 which is throttle body angle to high. my alternator had bad bearing and was giving off a rust powder that got kinda all over the engine then it rained hard for 2 days went through a few puddles etc.. and my po-85 went away but my pedal is still hard. not sure if any of this is related but this thread got me to respond with this thread.. any more idea's or input?? thanks ,Sal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts