Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2007 srx
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with these tires?
I wanted to put on the Bridgestone Alenza Plus but they are out of stock nation-wide at the moment.
And I need to replace my yokohama parade spec x's which are done.

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,135 Posts
I would not be able to bring myself to put Japanese or south Korean tires on my Cadillac - LOL!!! It feels like a violation.

·
Registered
2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320
2,623 Posts
Nitto NT420S is my current favorite tire, I would not use it in the winter but its a great summer tire.

·
Registered
2007 srx
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many reviews I read are positive for the Nittos. I live in St Louis....not a ton of snow each year so the snow traction is not top priority. But I want a good wet traction tire.

How are these for: wet? Noise? Wear?

I am replacing yokohama parada spec x tires which I thought were good except they wore out by 40,000. They were 1100 bucks for 4 so not cheapies by any means. Though the 20's are more expensive for all tires.

----------

Conedoctor, have you ever run the nitto nt421's? more of an all season tire.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I have no issues with the NT420S tire, I used them on the SRX, Denali and will be getting a set for the X5 and my GL320.

Great wet weather traction, I bought these for my wife's car to be safe with the kids and driving through the mountains. Dry traction was good and I never noticed noise before.

I have no need for an all season tire, I hate them, I use studded winter and summer tires.

The NT420S is an all season tire, I choose tires with my eyes, do the NT420S really look like and all season tire? These would suck in the snow IMO so I consider them a summer tire. I have not used the 421 and have no interest in trying it, looks like a compromise.

From the looks of it your shopping for hockey pucks so tread wear is important to you, the tires I am looking at all are in the 420 tread wear area and you are in the 600+ range so not sure the NT420S will deliver the life you want. That said IMO 40,000 is just fine for wear, but having two sets of tires I don't really ever wear them out.

·
Registered
2007 srx
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Conedoctor, Great feedback. Thank you. My usage is a bit different than yours. I too like the 420S for the same reasons as you and in STL I could get by using it year round.

But I think I am going to try the NT421Q's. Same good wet traction an low noise as 420S with a better tread life warranty. Reviews online look positive overall yet I for one am leery of blind online reviews preferring to get opinions from guys like yourself or people I know. I use them more as confirmation of other more reliable feedback. Nothing pisses me off like a marketing guy for a company going online and writing plausible sounding reviews for his products. Happens every day. The 421's might ride a little worse than the 420S but reviews didn't indicate anything lumberwagon-like.

This is my first set of Nittos. My research of the company uncovered an interesting background and the company mantra struck a positive chord in me. We'll see how it goes. If I remember, I'll update this thread after 1000 miles or so. For me that's about 20 days of driving.

Price at NTB is 895 plus tax for the 255 50 20's with V rating. Includes hazard, flat repair, and lifetime rotation. The Firestone guy just called me back and said he can find me the Bridgestone Alenza Plus's for about $400 more. He might have had a sale the other day if he had them in stock.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I really like the NT420S but truth be told I also like them based on the tread, people ask about the cool looking tires all the time lol :)

The Nittos are an the big side as well, the 420S anyway so they should look wider than the Yokos did as I find they are made on the small side.

As for internet reviews my best example was a review on a Kumho V700 autoX tire, the person gave it a poor review because is was bad in the snow..............

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8 AWD
209 Posts
Original tires were Mich. Pilots of staggered size. Replaced them with 4 255-55r-18 Hankook Ventus AS at 38k and am ready for new ones again at 76k. Been happy with Hankooks but might
check out other mfrs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts