Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting the 08 3.6DI w/ 6 speed. One of the issues is that I drive a fair amount in San Francisco and there are a lot of very hilly streets. I normally use my handbrake to hold the car at a steep hill on a red light and sidestep the clutch while letting out the handbrake to prevent rolling back down when starting again. I am pretty adept at manual, so I don't really need the handbrake trick, but I prefer it just to keep the clutch slip at a minimum.

How does that play with the 08 CTS? I don't recall seeing a handbrake lever in any of the pictures but they were all automatics. Does the CTS have a hill holder feature?

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS 2006
37 Posts
dont know about that, but im always pissed at the fact that GM cant get it in their head that a HANDbrake is essential to a sports sedan. i dont know what idiot in development decided to keep the old footbrake as it is basically a big kick me sign on the car's interior.

·
Registered
'06 3.6 Lux Sport, this is my final GM car.
45 Posts
I agree. I really miss the handbrake. I won't buy another car unless it has one.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
2,449 Posts
dont know about that, but im always pissed at the fact that GM cant get it in their head that a HANDbrake is essential to a sports sedan. i dont know what idiot in development decided to keep the old footbrake as it is basically a big kick me sign on the car's interior.
How is a handbrake essential to a sport sedan?

·
Registered
2014 CTS VSport Premium
129 Posts
I am thinking of getting the 08 3.6DI w/ 6 speed. One of the issues is that I drive a fair amount in San Francisco and there are a lot of very hilly streets. I normally use my handbrake to hold the car at a steep hill on a red light and sidestep the clutch while letting out the handbrake to prevent rolling back down when starting again. I am pretty adept at manual, so I don't really need the handbrake trick, but I prefer it just to keep the clutch slip at a minimum.

How does that play with the 08 CTS? I don't recall seeing a handbrake lever in any of the pictures but they were all automatics. Does the CTS have a hill holder feature?
No handbrake. But I've read elsewhere that an electronic handbrake (pushbutton ?) was to be added later in the model year. And then I read that it would be next year before that's available.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
2,449 Posts
No handbrake. But I've read elsewhere that an electronic handbrake (pushbutton ?) was to be added later in the model year. And then I read that it would be next year before that's available.
Thats a nice feature. My mothers last Jag had that feature. And you could never accidently leave it engaged, as it automatically disengaged when you shifted into Drive.

The only benefit to handbrakes is what the OP said, saving the clutch on inclines.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
How is a handbrake essential to a sport sedan?
Stop in traffic on the side of a hill. If you had a handbrake, you could creep up the hill, using one foot on gas, one foot on clutch, and one hand on emerg hand brake. If you have a foot (emerg) brake, you then need three feet.

·
Registered
2011 SRX & 2010 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible
374 Posts
I read somewhere that the percent take on the manual transmission on the CTS was 3 to 5%. For that low a percentage, I think a handbrake would take away from an otherwise beautiful interior. I'm really not crazy about the handbrake sticking out of the console on my C6.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts