Cadillac Owners Forum banner
26K views 44 replies 20 participants last post by  CateraMV6 
#1 ·
A Canadian Catera owner has collected most of the parts necessary to install an LS1 5.7 liter V8 into a Catera. This is no pipedream. He supplied pictures of his treasures as proof. See for your self at the Vauxhall Owners site in the UK.

http://www.cavweb-forums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=141610

I'm inviting him to join our group and share his project's progress with us. We all know that the L81 3.0 liter V6 is the weakest part of the Catera. If he's successful maybe those of us with the desire for more power and reliability, and the money to accomplish it, will finally have the Catera that GM should have built all along.

Elvin

#4 ·
you can pick up a slightly used ls1 with 6 speed transmission form a wrecked vette or other ls1 engine car for a few grand on ebay but its not that easy this project should show how to make it fit perfect. The project is not a cheap one but wow what a sleeper ha ha =)

#5 · (Edited)
That's my car:yup:

I may be a while before I get the project underway. Unfortunately this swap is simply not a bolt-in job as it may appear.

The electrical aspect will be a huge PITA (I have none of the production wiring or information); mainly integrating the Camaro PCM into the Catera’s Bosche ABS/TC unit, wiring up the instrument panel cluster, wiring of the AC to the Catera HVAC, and just all of the little things like custom brake lines for the repositioned ABS/TC unit to clear the exhaust manifolds, cutom lines for the rear brake calipers. I could go on and on….

For most people it would be more feasible to simply by a used CTS-V as they’re already in the high 20’s.

I’m also planning to go with a T56 6-speed which will complicate things a bit further than going with a 4-speed auto.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone, just a warning.

I'll keep you guys updated as I progress with the conversion:thumbsup:

#7 ·

^^^
Engine mount has Mercedes logo and part number, and same as used on SLK, E-class and few other models.

^^^
This one is identical but has a GM logo.

^^^
Power steering fluid cooler. You can see this in the GM media pic posted above.

^^^
Manufacturers label on driveshaft.

#13 ·
I can't believe it. All the moaning I've done on the various Catera/Omega forums about the dearth of performance upgrades over on this side of the Atlantic and you find this treasure trove in Indiana. I checked the Lingenfelter site but no Catera parts or even any reference to the Catera anywhere. Did you buy the entire inventory of CatV8 parts? I wish you all the luck. This has been a fantasy of mine but I lack the skill and budget. Now I can live the dream vicariously. I'd love to see it someday.

Elvin

#14 ·
Lingenfelter did help drop a C5-R V8 into a Catera in 2001, and the person as well as the car is on the forums (search) BUT other than that Im confused yet mystified as well.

I thought the Omega V8 was only a "one off" GM/Opel did for kicks but thats not the story apprently.

#15 ·
From my research it looks like the Omega V8 was a few months away from its debut when GM pulled the plug. Not the first time "The General" has refined a car only to discontinue production (the 1988 Fiero comes to mind).

Here's a preview article for the production Omega V8:
http://www.carenthusiast.com/2000/shows/geneva2000/vauxhall/articles/omega_1.html

This GM press release announces a concept car called the Omega V8.com with integrated personal computer stations with high speed data-bus and all kinds of audio/video features. The intro states it is powered by the same 5.7L V8 due to power the Omega in 2001.
http://www.gm-press.com/2006/HU/site/article.php?aid=515

This is a very long German history of the Opel Omega. An awkward translation explains the cancelation of the Omega V8:
"2001 should actually transfer a V8-Northstar-Motor with 5.7 litres capacity in the Omega the point of motorizing. Unfortunately it showed up that this V8-Motor was not to be gotten vollgasfest, since in particular the cooling water channels were too small dimensioned. The same problem had at that time already the V8-Motor diplomat of A and/or B. Opel stopped therefore this model few weeks before the planned introduction on the market."
http://translate.google.com/transla...?q=opel+omega+v8&hl=en&rls=com.netscape:en-US
Omega V8 Specs:
http://www.carsplusplus.com/specs2000/opel_omega_v8.php

My collection of Lingenfelter Catera pictures
http://www.pbase.com/elvin315/the_catera_v

Elvin

#17 ·
I have considered it. I expect to be married again within a year or so and with her teen daughter taking the KIA, my fiance will need a car. I was thinking of giving her the Catera and getting a GTO. Taking it a step further, I'd try to rebadge it as a Monaro and even get a Holden front facsia to replace the Pontiac twin grills.

Elvin

#18 ·
If you like the GTO Or Holden you can pick up an 2004 with ls1 for under 20 i was in one the other day and was very impressed and how much it resembles the cat is crazy too friend got one for 17,000 a silver 04 with 20,000 miles
We are not allowed to import the GTO into Canada I think it had something to do with the 5mph bumper rating. Stupid if you ask me. I'd be driving a 6 speed GTO now if it wasn’t for that rule. Oh well guess I just have to wait for the G8 to come out, that will be a suitable replacement for the Cat. :)

#19 · (Edited)
Wonder how the installed weight of the two engines compares. If new engine is too heavy, weight distribution and handling of Cat will be impacted.:stirpot:

To say nothing of the front suspension impact, possible need for different front springs, wear and tear, etc..

Also has it been determined the stock differential is rated for and can handle the added torque? Or is there a new differential?

Finally, I agree with an earlier poster re electrical considerations. But really to me it's more electronic considerations that pose the real concern.

#20 ·
Wonder how the installed weight of the two engines compares. If new engine is too heavy, weight distribution and handling of Cat will be impacted.
The L81 V6 is iron block/aluminum head. The LS1 V8 is all aluminum. I could find weights but the difference shouldn't be much.

To say nothing of the front suspension impact, possible need for different front springs, wear and tear, etc.
Since he bought Opel's Omega V8 parts I sure, if necessary, stiffer springs would be part of the package.

Also has it been determined the stock differential is rated for and can handle the added torque? Or is there a new differential?
Pictures of the new differential are already posted.

Finally, I agree with an earlier poster re electrical considerations. But really to me it's more electronic considerations that pose the real concern.
Once again, this is basically a factory kit. The electronics shouldn't be an issue.
Elvin

#21 ·
Hi there. Just popped onto here to see whats new your side of the pond with things Catera (or Vauxhall Omega in the UK). Glad to see that the V8 project is taking shape at long last! Good find on the parts.....

I know there are a lot of folks on the UK forum, www.omegaowners.com who would be very glad to read of your project and share your obvious enthusiasm for the marque. There are quite a few with extensive knowledge of the cars and will gladly share that with you all.

If you have the time, feel free to show off your project and get some more folks green with envy.....

regards from the UK

Hotel21
www.omegaowners.com

#29 ·
That means it won't fit. The sub frame has the mounting points for the front suspension and cradles the engine. The Commodore's subframe is wider than the Catera's by a few inches. Despite their Opel ancestry the Catera and Commodore have very few parts in common.

John Lingenfelter squeezed a 7.0liter/427 cubic inch Corvette C5R engine into a Catera now named the Catera V by her owner. We'd all love a V8 but we don't have those kinds of resources in our garages. He had to use Commodore drivetrain parts and beef them up to handle the 500 HP and 500 ft/lb of torque.
http://www.pbase.com/elvin315/the_catera_v

The parts Warez and some others are using are from the cancelled Opel Omega V8. That car was in the final stages of preproduction. Mere weeks before its debut when GM nixed it do to problems with the cooling system's ability to keep the engine from overheating. Nonsense. GM has been cooling that small block V8 for 50 years. They couldn't find a solution? It was that Cadillac had the CTS coming and hated the Catera that GM foisted on them.

The Omega and Catera are virtually twins. All the parts for the Omega V8 will fit into the Catera. Lingenfelter bought Opel's inventory of Omega V8 parts with the intention of building them for sale in the US but the plan was shelved when John died. Now Lingenfelter Performance is selling off the parts. They are not kits and don't come with instructions. There's a lot of fabricating and scrounging to do but a few guys have bought the parts with the hope of perfecting the Catera.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Cadillac-Catera-...ihZ024QQcategoryZ6763QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Elvin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.