Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm out cruising around with my buddies tonight, and at a stoplight, some high schoolers pull up next to us in a late '90s Grand Caravan, they look over at us, rev the crap out of the car, and you know me, I'm always game for a race, so I give it one good rev, then pop it in 2nd gear, anyways, I go to put it from 2 to O/D and right as I do that, it goes green, so they kinda get a bit of a jump on me off the line, but as soon as I've got it firmly in overdrive I take it too the floor and pass by them like nothing else, by about 45 they're about a car length behind me but I get behind a slow moving SUV and so they pass me, and then it's over.

I can't even believe some kids tried racing me in a Caravan! I'm sure they weren't seriously thinking that was fast, probably a couple of 16 year olds who just got their licence...haha!

What kinda motor do they have? Don't they have like a 3.8L V6?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Lol, I had a guy tell me that his moms caravan acclerates exactly like my old 95 SLS. N* vs Minivan........

·
Registered
1996 DeVille, 1985 Brougham SAGE GREEN!
2,750 Posts
They have gobs of torque for what they are. My buddy had a '91 Caravan (dubbed the Ecovan for the plants and frogs that grew/lived in it) and that damn van could get up and go. I mean you could peel out anytime you wanted and it would put you back in your chair off the line. Cool van.

Now if youre lucky enough to get the old Turbo with a 5 speed...

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was a guy that used to hang around us who'd borrow his dad's Grand Caravan and do big smokey one wheel burnouts in it. For a V-6 that wasn't bad...I guess those 3.8's make good low end power!

·
Registered
1993 SedanDeville (RIP), 2006 CTS (current)
3,338 Posts
Good kill, man. Hey, I have a friend who drives an 80-something Chevy Astro, which he claims has 700 lb-ft. of torque. Pure BS? What do you think?

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good kill, man. Hey, I have a friend who drives an 80-something Chevy Astro, which he claims has 700 lb-ft. of torque. Pure BS? What do you think?
He's probably got the 4.3L V6....like 160hp and around 230 lb/ft...and it's all down low! Acts like a small V8.

You'd beat him though.

·
Registered
1993 SedanDeville (RIP), 2006 CTS (current)
3,338 Posts
He's probably got the 4.3L V6....like 160hp and around 230 lb/ft...and it's all down low! Acts like a small V8.

You'd beat him though.
Yeah, it's a V-6, and it looks as old as the van itself. He claims that the previous owner did something to increase it's power, LOL.

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray V
1,567 Posts
So I'm out cruising around with my buddies tonight, and at a stoplight, some high schoolers pull up next to us in a late '90s Grand Caravan, they look over at us, rev the crap out of the car, and you know me, I'm always game for a race, so I give it one good rev, then pop it in 2nd gear, anyways, I go to put it from 2 to O/D and right as I do that, it goes green, so they kinda get a bit of a jump on me off the line, but as soon as I've got it firmly in overdrive I take it too the floor and pass by them like nothing else, by about 45 they're about a car length behind me but I get behind a slow moving SUV and so they pass me, and then it's over.

I can't even believe some kids tried racing me in a Caravan! I'm sure they weren't seriously thinking that was fast, probably a couple of 16 year olds who just got their licence...haha!

What kinda motor do they have? Don't they have like a 3.8L V6?
Be carefull! :thehand:
Check this out.

http://www.dragtimes.com/Dodge-Caravan-Timeslip-1057.html

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh hell yeah, the TurboVans! I know about those too, but they didn't ever install the turbo into this style of van. As far as I know, the turbo vans died off in the early '90s and this was like a '98.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,974 Posts
The reason the thing has seven seats is so when you come to a hill six guys can get out and push. It's a world class lead sled.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts