Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1959 Cadillac, 1980 Cadillac,Former 2005 CTS-V; now a 2009 V
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's about 7:55PM and i'm driving north on I-45 toward the Woodlands (in Houston). I've got cruise set at 85, and even then i'm just barely passing people. I go under an overpass, and there's a cop on the left lane. I immediately slow down, but don't have enough time. Sure enough, in rearview mirror I see him picking up speed getting behind me, and then he puts his lights on :(

He radar'ed me at 85 in a 65 zone.

Funny thing was he had more questions about my car than he had about why i was breaking the speed limit...

"Is that a TV in your dash?"

So i've now got my first ticket to date. I have to call the number on the ticket tomorrow to see how much it is, but what do you think I should do? What are my options in Texas?

The biggest thign i'm worried about, to be honest, is being pulled over again, because me and a buddy 'patrol' certain streets and highways late at night occasionally, looking for someone to play, and if i get pulled over again i don't want to get arrested or license suspended or anything like that.

What do you think ?

EDIT: it's actually 31 days i've had the car, not 21. minor, but thought i'd mention it anyway.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS, Black Raven. Name: Car-los
3,201 Posts
So it's about 7:55PM and i'm driving north on I-45 toward the Woodlands (in Houston). I've got cruise set at 85, and even then i'm just barely passing people. I go under an overpass, and there's a cop on the left lane. I immediately slow down, but don't have enough time. Sure enough, in rearview mirror I see him picking up speed getting behind me, and then he puts his lights on :(

He radar'ed me at 85 in a 65 zone.

Funny thing was he had more questions about my car than he had about why i was breaking the speed limit...

"Is that a TV in your dash?"

So i've now got my first ticket to date. I have to call the number on the ticket tomorrow to see how much it is, but what do you think I should do? What are my options in Texas?

The biggest thign i'm worried about, to be honest, is being pulled over again, because me and a buddy 'patrol' certain streets and highways late at night occasionally, looking for someone to play, and if i get pulled over again i don't want to get arrested or license suspended or anything like that.

What do you think ?

EDIT: it's actually 31 days i've had the car, not 21. minor, but thought i'd mention it anyway.
the reason he asked if you had a tv in your dash is because having a tv in the dash is illegal.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
One option in Texas is to take a defensive driving course. Under this option the cost of ticket is less, and think that I think it keeps the violation off your driving record, which is important for insurance. This option is only available if your record is relatively clean. I have not had to used this option so I do not know all the details, but the folks at the "pay window" should be able to explain it. Also, the defensive driving course is readily available from a number of vendors and usually consists of watching films for several hours. By all means check it out.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
You are one of the few real men here who admit to what they have done. Congratulations!! Many others _itch that the cops ensnared them, profiled them, etc.

We all speed; we all get caught once in a while. We pay up. Life goes on.

Good attitude, man. Hopefully, others will follow your lead.

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
One option in Texas is to take a defensive driving course. Under this option the cost of ticket is less, and think that I think it keeps the violation off your driving record, which is important for insurance. This option is only available if your record is relatively clean. I have not had to used this option so I do not know all the details, but the folks at the "pay window" should be able to explain it. Also, the defensive driving course is readily available from a number of vendors and usually consists of watching films for several hours. By all means check it out.
:yeah:

Do you currently own a radar detector, and was it working at the time ?

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the reason he asked if you had a tv in your dash is because having a tv in the dash is illegal.
having a TV in the dash isn't illegal. having a TV on while driving is illegal, if it's within the driver's view, or something like that (we chatted about it. he was really cool. asked me to show him what the navigation looked like, and wanted to see a DVD play, but i didn't have one with me)

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heavymetals and CIWS: that's one thing i don't have, but it made me realize how much i need a radar detector, because the ticket said he pegged me with radar, and, assuming he had it on, i would've been able to pick it up and slow down accordingly.

sooooo suggestions on which make and exact model# would work well? for bands that texas cops use

·
Registered
855 Posts
I know some of the guys here on the forum don't agree with me, but........

I sold my V1......GREAT unit, but all it told me was I was getting "lasered" and being pulled over for a ticket. IT WORKED AS ADVERTISED ! ! !

When the cops are using laser, then don't just "leave it on".......they "shoot" a specific car they think is speeding. It is so accurate you can't talk your way out of it by saying "maybe the car in the other lane" was speeding.........won't work....it's too accurate.

Just my $0.02 worth. I just don't speed anymore........race once in a while between lights (I know that's breaking the law too), but no longer speed.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,042 Posts
I know some of the guys here on the forum don't agree with me, but........

I sold my V1......GREAT unit, but all it told me was I was getting "lasered" and being pulled over for a ticket. IT WORKED AS ADVERTISED ! ! !

When the cops are using laser, then don't just "leave it on".......they "shoot" a specific car they think is speeding. It is so accurate you can't talk your way out of it by saying "maybe the car in the other lane" was speeding.........won't work....it's too accurate.

Just my $0.02 worth. I just don't speed anymore........race once in a while between lights (I know that's breaking the law too), but no longer speed.
Flyboy is correct. The radar detector works for Barney Fife driving/hiding with is radar on constantly. In those situations you'll have enough time to slow down....maybe.

But when the cops use instant on radar or laser you're toast.

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
sooooo suggestions on which make and exact model# would work well? for bands that texas cops use
Texas Law now is mostly KA, then K (haven't seen X in years) for Radar and more and more Laser. No detector in the world will save you from an officer that knows how to use his equipment and is taking the time to use it right. You will get no indication until he has nailed you, Laser or Radar. If you get a cop who just turns the radar on and is waiting for a car to bust the limit he's set almost any detector will work, but some of the ones over 200.00 have features you may want, like blocking X signals from doors and alarms, more selective receivers, etc.

Personally I think the V1 is nothing special for it's price. I had one and sent it back, but most of the members here will swear up and down it's the only one to own. Funny thing is my 250.00 detector (Bel) seems to work just fine, for Radar. Laser is a whole different ball game to try and defeat with a detector alone. My problem isn't my detector, it's my right foot.

In Texas if you were travelling 85 mph almost any Law Enforcement will write you for that speed. Anything above 80mph is really asking for it. A "safe" rule is no more than 10mph above the posted speed on the highways. Unless they're really wanting to pull cars over then they'll stop you for 5 over. You best investment is learning the habits of the LEOs in the area you drive. What they use, where they like to patrol and what they allow for speeds. That's more valuable than any 400.00 gadget.

·
Registered
'05 ProCharged cts-V -Silver on Black
673 Posts
I have a valentine one & have had for years, There is nothing better. But your right on the lasers, There is no radar detector that will warn you until it's too late.
The answer is the blinder extreme laser jammer, it works , laser can't get a reading on you. The trick is as soon as it's jammed & the alarm sounds you slow down, turn off the jammer and let them get a reading so they don't know your jamming them. And there is no federal law against laser Jammer although a few states have outlawed them. Here in Indiana there legal as in most states
If you want to play you have to use everything at your disposal to make the game fair. I also have a Nav-alert which is a gps based unit that warns of red light cameras & other areas you need to slow down for, like school zones. You have to update the database on the internet to keep up . " Like I say if you want to play nothing is 100% effective, But at least try and make the game fair between you & the police

·
Registered
'05 ProCharged cts-V -Silver on Black
673 Posts
I got a ticket and my V1 was screaming at me. DOH! :thepan:

I was ignoring it cuz the thing was being set off by trucks and the COP who was pointing his radar gun at me. :eek:

Now when it "goes off" I slow down.

Been there, Done that

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I have a valentine one & have had for years, There is nothing better. But your right on the lasers, There is no radar detector that will warn you until it's too late.
The answer is the blinder extreme laser jammer, it works , laser can't get a reading on you. The trick is as soon as it's jammed & the alarm sounds you slow down, turn off the jammer and let them get a reading so they don't know your jamming them. And there is no federal law against laser Jammer although a few states have outlawed them. Here in Indiana there legal as in most states
If you want to play you have to use everything at your disposal to make the game fair. I also have a Nav-alert which is a gps based unit that warns of red light cameras & other areas you need to slow down for, like school zones. You have to update the database on the internet to keep up . " Like I say if you want to play nothing is 100% effective, But at least try and make the game fair between you & the police
I like that technique!
I have a V1 too.

·
Registered
06 Raven CTS-V No CAGS & UUC Shifter/Bushings
274 Posts
if you want to be foolish like this, than you have to accept the risk of getting nailed again

Ever consider paying a low entry fee at the track and really seeing what your car can do?

Maybe I am being naive, but I really don't expect to read nonsense like this here ... maybe try http://forums.clubsi.com/ ?

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oooh, so only imports like to play around. gotcha.

and i'm sure the mods you've done to your V were just so you could drive more conservatively, right?... don't be a hypocrite.

*shakes head* not worth my time.

NEXT

1 - 20 of 23 Posts